U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM

828 posts, read 280,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Whether she was sober, drunk, confused, in a hurry- this wasn’t her fault. A woman should be able to accidentally get into a stranger’s car without being murdered. The problem is the man who killed her, so let’s keep the focus on him.

It matters how you conduct yourself in this world. Predators look for easy prey. There are certain safeguards and/or precautions we can take to lesson our chances of being victimized. It was not her fault that he murdered her, but she did exhibit very poor judgement that resulted in personal harm.

As a mother of a 21 year old woman, I take this situation as another opportunity to teach her the importance of taking precautions in this world and guarding yourself as best as you can against the evil that exists. I do not call that victim blaming, I call it teaching good old-fashioned common sense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 11:46 AM

4,693 posts, read 1,242,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my preference are cabs, mainly because where I live they are fingerprinted, back ground checked and usually the outside of the cab has a specific id number.

But let me say I live in a major city so I can stand on the corner of downtown and easily hail a cab.
TRANSLATION: I'm an easy mark for anybody who paints up his car to look like a cab. I'll get in without any idea if he's a real cabbie or an impostor like the murderer in South Carolina. All he has to do is fake something that looks like a cab driver ID, which he can easily do on his home computer.

Quote:
Does Uber do any type of background check on it's drivers??
Yes.

But not on imposters who have never had anything to do with Uber and just want to kill young girls.

I'm still not clear on why you are down on Uber. They provide more anti-imposter checks than any cab company (that you say you favor) ever does.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 651,743 times
Quote:
Whether she was sober, drunk, confused, in a hurry- this wasn’t her fault. A woman should be able to accidentally get into a stranger’s car without being murdered. The problem is the man who killed her, so let’s keep the focus on him.
Yup, that would be the hope. But since there are no guarantees that a stranger won't be a murderer, it behooves everyone to not get so drunk that they can't perform simple safety measures. I give the victim full credit for being responsible enough to know that she would be drinking heavily and using an Uber instead of driving home. And truth is, I don't even know that she was heavily intoxicated. For all I know she drank Cokes all evening long. Not likely at a bar and probably if she wasn't drinking she wouldn't have needed an Uber, but still.

Until we can get rid of every potential murderer (highly unlikely---how would we identify someone who may kill if given the opportunity), then it does fall upon all of us to conduct ourselves in a vigilant manner and follow every possible safety precaution. If the victim wasn't drunk, then maybe she was just distracted, more interested in texting on her phone than making sure make of car, license plate, and driver photo matched up what Uber said it should be. The victim was about to start law school. As a lawyer, she would need to be careful about details. You can argue that you shouldn't have to be careful about details in your nonwork hours, but there is no getting around that you do.

That said, of course I feel for the victim and her family. I would much rather have her be alive than the monster who killed her.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:58 AM

9,058 posts, read 4,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
He could have followed her cab home then killed her there and make people think it was the innocent cab driver too...

But he didn't. He was not an uber or taxi driver. Why would uber get heat for something they didn't even do? Maybe she thought she was getting a ride home in an ice cream van, do you give grief to ice cream makers because she thought wrong?

Are you posing the question generically? Because I'm not blaming anyone but the murderer while also noting that she didn't take basic security precautions.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 PM

4,556 posts, read 2,098,048 times
Oh FFS, Uber is not inherently unsafe. There were some issues early on & they were addressed. That’s how industry is supposed to respond to public concerns. If they want to remain viable, at least.

What happened to the “If we came together; we leave together” rule? This wouldn’t have happened if even just two women were waiting together for their Uber.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM

5,639 posts, read 1,993,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
And most rapes and murders happen between people who know each other

What does confirming their identity have to do with it? You saying you knowing who they are gives you a bulletproof vest? If they were intent on this, they can register to drive then what? You get into a real uber and still get killed.

With all the cctv surveillance, especially around bars, the killer didn't do it because he thought he would be anonymous. Hell maybe the two of them had a nice chat and introduced themselves before he killed her!

Using your logic, I guess we should ALL just wear bullet proof vests 24/7. Also, just never go anywhere or do anything. Then you'll be perfectly safe while you rot in your chair.

Unless a tree falls on your house.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM

9,882 posts, read 4,366,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you posing the question generically? Because I'm not blaming anyone but the murderer while also noting that she didn't take basic security precautions.
Meaning she planned to get drunk without a designated driver? Sounds like, that basic precaution went out the window in 2015 when she was back in high school and mom was driving her around?

Going out and getting drunk with friends is fun because you know you got someone there to look after you. She could have killed her self over drinking too

Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM

4,308 posts, read 4,283,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
Sure, now give me the percentages of the uber customers that do the blue security measures EVERYTIME they get a UBER. Below is probably what is typical for what happens, when most Uber drivers pull up to their pickup.

Uber sends them the name of the driver.... The uber driver pulls up and rolls down the window. The pick up is in a hurry and before the driver can even speak the rider says " Are you Bob ? Driver… "Yep, That's me, get in and lets go". ( No bad guy would lie about their name, now would they ?)

license plate number.... Sure, the pick up is going to walk around behind or in front of the car, (during the cold, snowy, raining, windy conditions?) hold their phone up and check the plates while comparing them to the number on their phone EVERY time, they use UBER.

description of the car he's driving.....Have you noticed how many millions of cars that look alike now ? And females are supposed know one from the other ? Many of them have badges on them that even I a 66 year old male, cannot find nowadays without walking around the vehicle 360 degrees.

So if a pickup just fails to do the uber security policies in blue above 50% of the time they get a uber, then sooner or later, there is a higher percentage of chance the pickup, could be a fake uber driver.

At least with a yellow checker cab, the bad guy preying on women will have to steal one and then it will be reported to the police. Sure a yellow cabbie can end up being a bad guy, but I am talking about the law of averages here being used to compare....

One yellow Checker taxi driver that is a bad guy VS one bad guy posing to be a legit uber driver. Because it is peoples nature once doing something over and over like calling for personal hired transport, to get LAX in them adhering to any security measure put in place for them.

And when people do the same events over and over , they also get too complacent while not using their MOST important attribute that will help keep them safer...their SA = "Situational Awareness" instincts. JMO
I certainly do take all the Uber precautions that have been listed: I make the driver state my name and his/her name, I check the type of car and the license plate number (yes I walk around the back of the car every single time) Additionally I text a screen shot of my driver's info to my husband (or other family member or friend, depending on where I am).

What happened to this woman is very sad but so easily preventable. And Uber is in no way to blame. I get that some of you hate Uber/Lyft. Fine, if you're not comfortable with it, don't use it. But the problem is with the user, not the system.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM

1,453 posts, read 398,367 times
Quote:
With all the horrible people in the world, you have to use common sense and checking the license plate and make/model of the car Uber is sending requires minimal effort. This is the lesson to take from this story, focusing on the bad guy is pretty much a waste of time since he's just today's rubbish that should be hung, remains cremated then thrown in the trash the day following his trial and guilty verdict. But as we all know, this idiotic criminal justice system will take care of him with free food and medical care and he will probably make parole someday- a whole other problem.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM

10,232 posts, read 5,685,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You are oddly defending the status quo. The OP case is one example of a problem, there is still a problem.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-storrow-drive

Again there are millions of rides given every day. There are always going to be problems with this much activity. I'm sure I can find a story about a tour guide doing bad things too, does that mean we should ban all tours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or