U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 03:33 PM

1,396 posts, read 590,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
How terrible. The days of the big yellow taxi "Checker" cabs being the main sort of hired personal transport, sort of made this type of mistake and then heinous crime, less likely to happen.

I wonder if UBER will take any actions that will help people to know a Uber vehicle, is really a Uber ?

This was a report under the FOI act in U.K. in 2016
Granted I donít have the link, but just Google Uber sexual attacks, London, U.K.

Uber drivers accused of 32 rapes and sex attacks on London passengers over the past year
New statistics reveal one assault every 11 days last year by drivers on popular car-hire app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM

33,320 posts, read 9,932,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Cab drivers are total strangers.

Bus drivers - not to mention the passengers - are total strangers.

Walk into a shop and you're the only customer? You're alone with a total stranger.

The only 'angle' to this story is that it involves a recent concept (Uber and their analogs), which leads people who haven't really though this whole thing through to freak out. Those same people - the ones running around saying "OMG, Uber is scary!" think nothing of getting into their own car... despite the fact that, on average, more than 100 Americans die every day on the roads. And, somehow, that doesn't send them into a similar tizzy.

Gatopescado certainly wasn't "freaking out"--nor did he appear to be "in a tizzy."

Old 04-02-2019, 04:13 PM

827 posts, read 280,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
He didn't lure her, she went to him. She was drunk, irrational and confused. What happened next?

He was a predator seeking prey.

He lured her into the car by acting as her designated Uber driver. He enabled the child lock mechanism, thereby assuring she would not be able to escape from the car. Imagine her horror when she realized that she was not heading toward her home.

The murderer is not the victim here. How do you know she was irrational? Confused? Up until her death she could have thought it was, indeed, an Uber driver attacking her.

Her mistake was not verifying the Uber prior to entering the car. Sometimes, the penalty for our poor decisions is far greater than we deserve. I have the utmost sympathy for her and her family.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM

4,902 posts, read 2,359,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Really? I'm sure nothing she did would have in any way justified his choice to murder her.
No one is suggesting that she is responsible for his decisions, only that she is responsible for her decision to get too drunk to think and for hopping into a vehicle with a stranger.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:23 PM

8,831 posts, read 6,095,001 times
I am sitting in an Uber car as I Type. Vigilance is key. The safety measures are there to be used. Here is another one: You also get the driver profile, which includes time on the job, rides given, and ratings. Does Yellow Cab to this? It’s not foolproof, but neither is riding a bus.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM

13,602 posts, read 12,377,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
No one is suggesting that she is responsible for his decisions, only that she is responsible for her decision to get too drunk to think and for hopping into a vehicle with a stranger.
Just making sure since you shared the story of how you were so afraid of the "two big scruffy drunks" who hopped into your car that you couldn't even tell them to get out. This is obviously not that situation. I'm sure he didn't murder her because he feared for his safety.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:00 PM

1,451 posts, read 398,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

He was a predator seeking prey.

He lured her into the car by acting as her designated Uber driver. He enabled the child lock mechanism, thereby assuring she would not be able to escape from the car. Imagine her horror when she realized that she was not heading toward her home.

The murderer is not the victim here. How do you know she was irrational? Confused? Up until her death she could have thought it was, indeed, an Uber driver attacking her.

Her mistake was not verifying the Uber prior to entering the car. Sometimes, the penalty for our poor decisions is far greater than we deserve. I have the utmost sympathy for her and her family.
I'm sure her last hours on earth were horrifying beyond our imaginations, rip.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM

15,322 posts, read 17,306,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
They caught the animal that did it... Does it make me a racist to say they need to have a rope around his neck before its suppertime. Why waste a meal on him.
If you have to question whether it is racist, it is probably racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I am sitting in an Uber car as I Type. Vigilance is key. The safety measures are there to be used. Here is another one: You also get the driver profile, which includes time on the job, rides given, and ratings. Does Yellow Cab to this? Itís not foolproof, but neither is riding a bus.
Arcenal's last post on city-data, everybody. Let's all have a moment of silence.

Just kidding, hope you made it to your destination safe and sound!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:13 PM

33,320 posts, read 9,932,584 times
Riders have to be careful and vigilant.

Look...In the end, though, this perp wasn't even an Uber driver, so you can't blame this on Uber, anyway.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM

16,463 posts, read 9,578,058 times
I've seen the video of her walking over to the Impala to get in just as it pulls in front, and it sure doesn't look like she's so drunk that she can't function or think. It's just a combination of multiple things already mentioned in this thread, that she is one of those 'trusting' types of people that just do things without really thinking too much about it. She just walks right over to the car and gets in the back.

I'm sure the Uber driver that was going to pick her up feels badly about this incident too.

We just don't know the exact details of what happened and we may never know.

By the way, the GoFundMe account set up for her family is now at over $70K from an initial goal of $5K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or