Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,672,101 times

Advertisements

hang the sob before the sun sets..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
This was tragic, and its possible this was not a crime of opportunity. 2 AM outside bars and clubs are prime time for Uber pickups. Its not hard to figure out. Killer driving around sees her out there and just pulls up, knowing its late and she will likely be tired, intoxicated or both and odds are high she ordered a ride.

Nothing good ever happens late night outside like that. I remember living in an apartment complex and we had somone going around trying doorknobs to see if they could get in. Stranger on stranger crimes do happen. All sorts of nuts around, they are out and about more in the witching hours.

Hope they find the killer fast. I get the feeling he will try it again, he may have done it before as well.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:46 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
This has never happened to me when I take a Lyft. I always look at the license number on my phone and compare it to the Lyft car and look at the color of the car. The driver always rolls down the window and says my name before I even reach for the door handle. Or, I will say his name and look at his picture on the lyft app.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:53 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
These companies should be shut down.Period! Whatever happened to the days when you would tell your kids to never get in a car with strangers and nowadays it has become a business!! Crazy!! These companies are only in it for the money.Bring back yellow taxi cabs I say. Also more people are at huge risks when they call these share riding services because one is always told..hey if you drink too much..call one of these.Well of course a drunk person wouldn't be able to really follow the safety precautions..gee because they're too drunk. BUT..wait...at least you would know the difference between getting into a yellow taxi cab versus some black vehicle with maybe a hard to see decal on the vehicle.
They just need to stop all of this.I knew years ago when Uber started to come out that this was a crazy idea....but as usual..money always wins out with these companies over common sense.
It makes me so angry that this happened to that woman.People need to wake up about these 'car services'. Who cares about how cheap these services are compared to a taxi service.It's not worth it.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
These companies should be shut down.Period! Whatever happened to the days when you would tell your kids to never get in a car with strangers and nowadays it has become a business!! Crazy!! These companies are only in it for the money.Bring back yellow taxi cabs I say. Also more people are at huge risks when they call these share riding services because one is always told..hey if you drink too much..call one of these.Well of course a drunk person wouldn't be able to really follow the safety precautions..gee because they're too drunk. BUT..wait...at least you would know the difference between getting into a yellow taxi cab versus some black vehicle with maybe a hard to see decal on the vehicle.
They just need to stop all of this.I knew years ago when Uber started to come out that this was a crazy idea....but as usual..money always wins out with these companies over common sense.
It makes me so angry that this happened to that woman.People need to wake up about these 'car services'. Who cares about how cheap these services are compared to a taxi service.It's not worth it.
Cab drivers are strangers too. You should verify the car picking you up is the one you’ve ordered. This event is tragic but one the girl could have easily prevented by verifying the license plate on her phone to the car she got into

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 04-01-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
It said she got separated from her friends at the bar and made her own way home...? That means she was wasted drunk. Its dangerous for young women to do that and they should be taught to not get so drunk they end up alone at night and hope the world doesn't do anything bad to them.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I wonder if UBER will take any actions that will help people to know a Uber vehicle, is really a Uber ?
They already do.

When someone calls for an Uber ride, Uber sends them the name of the driver, a description of the car he's driving, and the license plate number. This is done expressly to avoid such horrible crimes as this one.

But it only works if the rider checks them, and compares the description and plate no. to the car that pulls up.

I drive Uber. And when someone wants a ride, Uber always sends me the rider's first name. And when I arrive to pick them up, I always say before they get in the car, "Hi, I'm Charles the Uber driver, and I'm looking for Denise."

Riders should always at least check the name of the Uber driver that Uber sends. A crook wouldn't know the name of the driver to give them, and wouldn't know the rider's first name unless he was standing next to the rider when they called for Uber.

Anything else Uber should do to help with security?

Old 04-01-2019, 04:43 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
These companies should be shut down.Period! Whatever happened to the days when you would tell your kids to never get in a car with strangers and nowadays it has become a business!!
So you're ready to shut down all school buses, city buses, taxicabs etc.?

Didn't really think through your demands, did you.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
A tragedy if she has verified the vehicle plate with what the service sent her, also good to not go out drinking alone. In the Navy it was always the buddy system when going out overseas so we could look out for each other.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:04 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
You know a lot more getting into an Uber than getting into a taxi. Sad she got into a random stranger's car but it's her own fault for doing so. Not that you don't have inappropriate Uber/Lyft drivers but they get weeded out pretty quickly. Plus there's just more safe guards than a cab. While it's normal to hop in a random cab with no paper trail, it doesn't happen with a Uber/Lyft. If you order one it's all logged and it's the first place people are going to go to check. With a cab maybe it was dispatched and they actually kept records of what cab was dispatched and who was actually driving that cab, but no guarantees that records were kept or if they were ever made at all such as a flag down from the street.

Alcohol for sure. She's probably bright enough to employ basic common sense and not get in a random strangers car normally, but right after the bar closes + doing something that stupid is pretty much alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events