U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:13 PM
 
8,985 posts, read 4,535,223 times
Reputation: 31142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ve never walked around to the back of the car at night to check the license. I don’t think it’s actually something most people think to do.
Even if I can't walk around to the back of the car to check the license plate (though many states have front plates), I can do something as simple as ask (BEFORE getting in the car) "What's your name?" (Not "are you Bob?") and then ask them what my name is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:27 PM
 
19,387 posts, read 15,971,234 times
Reputation: 36568
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Well at the absolute least they should verify the make and model. I guess it's possible this psychopath drove the same kind of car Uber sent her, but I highly doubt it.
I find that so many cars look similar today, it is possible it seemed right to her. I actually tried to get into a car in a Walmart parking lot last week that not only wasn't my car, but not even the same make, but they looked so similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:29 PM
 
19,387 posts, read 15,971,234 times
Reputation: 36568
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Even if I can't walk around to the back of the car to check the license plate (though many states have front plates), I can do something as simple as ask (BEFORE getting in the car) "What's your name?" (Not "are you Bob?") and then ask them what my name is.
Yes, and that's a good idea. I am simply pointing out the vast majority of people don't do that. People are singling her out like she's some kind of idiot, but most people don't think like that, even if it's a good idea to. I just object to vilifying her. I think we can suggest ways to stay safe without doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:36 PM
 
8,985 posts, read 4,535,223 times
Reputation: 31142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, and that's a good idea. I am simply pointing out the vast majority of people don't do that. People are singling her out like she's some kind of idiot, but most people don't think like that, even if it's a good idea to. I just object to vilifying her. I think we can suggest ways to stay safe without doing that.
Agreed!

I can't say whether "most" people take steps to confirm their Uber or not, but I know I do. It causes some issues in cities like NYC where the driver is in a hurry to pull away but I can't really hear him, but I won't get in until I confirm it's the right car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM
 
19,387 posts, read 15,971,234 times
Reputation: 36568
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Agreed!

I can't say whether "most" people take steps to confirm their Uber or not, but I know I do. It causes some issues in cities like NYC where the driver is in a hurry to pull away but I can't really hear him, but I won't get in until I confirm it's the right car.

I have too often in my life let safety slide for fear the person will think I don't trust them. In that situation, I might've thought "Oh, I'm not going to go around and check the license because he'll think I'm only doing it cause he's black". I know it's stupid. For some reason I still feel like I have to fight programming that says I'm supposed to be nice and agreeable and make people feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM
 
9,057 posts, read 4,280,076 times
Reputation: 11584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Iíve never walked around to the back of the car at night to check the license. I donít think itís actually something most people think to do.

I see the plate as it approaches but then I live in a state with front/back plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM
 
4,902 posts, read 2,359,995 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
We don't know for sure what happened. She could have asked if he was an Uber driver and he could have said yes. She could have said, "are you here for Samantha?" and he could have said yes. It's better to ask "who are you here for?" but let's not assume she just got into the car, no questions asked. He could have lied to her. Given that he killed her, it wouldn't surprise me if he also lied to her.

Remember Mollie Tibbetts in rural Iowa? Another young woman murdered while jogging, like Karina Vetrano in Queens a few years ago. What would have stopped their murders? Not exercising alone outside? Well, excuse them. This is kind of the point, no matter what people do, they may still be victimized. It is not realistic to keep people inside or even 100% safe outside in public, because they'll never be, even if they take precautions. Someone can always be overpowered, and how realistic is it really to then suggest that women go nowhere alone, for example? All because some men cannot control themselves? How far will we take this "well you could always do this and she didn't, so..." logic?

We can scrutinize Samantha's actions all we want, but for all we know, if not her, it would have been someone else, another opportunistic murder victim. In this case, it seems we have a man who for some reason thought it'd be a good idea to kidnap and murder a young woman. Nothing is a bigger issue than that thought process.
Mollie Tibbetts was jogging in the early evening when she was attacked on the side of a rural road and then murdered. In this case, Josephson left a bar at 2AM Friday morning and got into a stranger's vehicle. She was reported missing at 1:30 p.m. on Friday by a roommate who had been with Josephson the night before but got separated.

It's true that if it had not been Samantha, it could have been another woman who was separated from friends and unaware of what she was doing. There are predators who look for an opportunity to commit and get away with criminal activities, and there are many common sense strategies to avoid being a victim. Mollie didn't have a chance. Samantha did.

https://abc13.com/student-kidnapped-...g-car/5226615/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
8,831 posts, read 6,095,001 times
Reputation: 10975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find that so many cars look similar today, it is possible it seemed right to her. I actually tried to get into a car in a Walmart parking lot last week that not only wasn't my car, but not even the same make, but they looked so similar.
Yes, I think we have all done something similar. However, generally, you are not looking at your phone tracking your car as it drives toward you. The difference is that you can literally see the carís exact location on your phone, and see when it arrives at the very spot you asked it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Status: "We're all in this alone!" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Lancaster, SC
6,819 posts, read 4,207,588 times
Reputation: 8154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
We don't know for sure what happened. She could have asked if he was an Uber driver and he could have said yes. She could have said, "are you here for Samantha?" and he could have said yes. It's better to ask "who are you here for?" but let's not assume she just got into the car, no questions asked. He could have lied to her. Given that he killed her, it wouldn't surprise me if he also lied to her.
The video shows her on the phone and practically opening the door before the car comes to a full stop. She then gets in the car. I feel confident in saying that judging from the video she did not ask the driver any questions until she was in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Status: "We're all in this alone!" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Lancaster, SC
6,819 posts, read 4,207,588 times
Reputation: 8154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Stressing safety is important but it's stupid to act like this has nothing to do with the fact that men are the more violent sex, by a landslide, and that they commit random violent acts like this far too often.
Then by your argument women need to be even more aware of their surroundings and should not jump into any car they think might be their Uber. I get that the dude is 100% at blame here and I hope he pays dearly for his crime. But she literally jumped into the car practically before it came to a stop without checking the license tag (South Carolina only requires tags on the rear bumer, not the front) and without checking to make sure he was there for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top