U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 590,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I wonder about some cab companies and their background checks. Also, sometimes the cab drivers own their own taxi cabs. I wouldn't consider a cab any safer than Uber or Lyft.

I have no wish to get in the middle of this, and as is truly said, comparisons are odious, but there is a world of difference between REAL taxis and ANY kind of car service in London, be it an Uber, or as other car services are known here, minicabs.
My wife, sister, sister-in-law, nieces, female cousins, and their daughters would no more use an Uber or minicab than they’d swim across the Thames to get home.
Of course, we live in one of the world’s largest cities, and you’ll only stand at the kerb for two or three minutes, before a yellow TAXI light comes down the street.
I’ve no idea what vetting Uber or minicab drivers undergo, but I’m sure that it is done under the auspices of Transport For London, NOT Uber, but I suspect that it’s not as thorough as the vetting that REAL taxi drivers get.
When in 1969, I initially applied to do “The Knowledge”, the lengthy process of riding around the streets of London on a moped, as every applicant must prove that he’s familiar with every road, street, avenue, theatre, embassy, hotel, hospital, police and fire station within a six mile radius of Charing Cross, (the centre of London), I was turned down, and told to re-apply after one year, as I’d been fined the equivalent of $25 in 1967, for punching a guy who had pushed my fiancée to the ground, as he ran out of a restaurant after bilking the bill.
I was successful one year later, and drove a London taxi for just shy of thirty years, never once laying a glove on the thousands of females I carried in that time.
Full disclosure, around 1979-1980 I oh so gently hit on a woman who had flagged me down, and had then begun a happy conversation with me about different bars and pubs, I parlayed this into marrying her eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM

19,403 posts, read 15,971,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Watching local news right now, they're interviewing random people on NYC streets about "what's my name?", a campaign starting in response to this incident to ask drivers what the customer's name is (the person they're there for), rather than saying, as someone interviewed said she would always say, "are you here for [first name]?" The existence of this campaign and it being on the news shows that a lot of people probably don't vet the cars/drivers very well, unsurprisingly. As someone who goes out in crowded, popular places like Hoboken, I see a TON of Ubers around on weekend nights, lots of drunk people, sometimes some confusion.

People get complacent, it's only natural. They won't realistically be on guard 24/7, despite what many posters here would suggest. Months or even years pass without hearing stories like this, and people get comfortable. They don't think that someone would let them get into a car when they're not even an Uber driver, they don't think that someone, Uber driver or not, is going to randomly kill them for no reason. No one irl is as perfect as they act on the internet. Like someone else said, people want to convince themselves that something like this won't happen to them. Samantha was incredibly unlucky; the odds of this exact situation happening really aren't that high. Most people would likely yell at some young woman trying to randomly get into their car, or be confused and tell her to get out, not use it as a chance to kill her.

It's easy after an incident like this to claim that you ALWAYS check the license plate of the Uber, or that you are ALWAYS aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down. I don't buy it, no one is perfect. People will generally start being more careful now with Ubers/Lyfts, but it won't last forever. They'll forget about this story eventually. People will never stop making mistakes that can get them hurt or killed, we're all human and we make mistakes. We're not "on" 24/7. It's one reason why I think it's so important to examine why acts of violence like this occur in the first place and how we can maybe try to stop them on the offenders' end before they even occur. Murdering someone like this otoh is not a mistake.
I think they should do this anyway. I had my Uber stolen out from under me once. It was in a semi crowded area after a party. I saw him drive-by us and I was jumping up and down but he was going to fast. Then two minutes later I look at the app and see that I’ve been picked up! Those people got a ride home and it went on my credit card. Uber corrected it the next day and gave me a five dollar credit, but I think that not everybody even cares if it’s their Uber or not. They just jump in.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

6,259 posts, read 5,127,631 times
I came across another story. I pray for the families of both girls. This is horrible.

She called an Uber. Police say she was raped by the man who posed as her driver.
Quote:
Samantha Josephson, 21, believed that she had located her Uber ride. But the driver did not work for the ride-hailing company, and he never took her home. Instead, police say, 24-year-old Nathaniel D. Rowland killed her and left her body in a wooded area, where it was found later that afternoon by hunters.
Quote:
For 3½ months, authorities in Washington state were unable to track down a culprit in the December assault. Surveillance footage captured a person of interest near the victim’s home, but the forensic evidence that was available didn’t turn up any leads.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.77a0d5170370

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

8,841 posts, read 6,095,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think they should do this anyway. I had my Uber stolen out from under me once. It was in a semi crowded area after a party. I saw him drive-by us and I was jumping up and down but he was going to fast. Then two minutes later I look at the app and see that I’ve been picked up! Those people got a ride home and it went on my credit card. Uber corrected it the next day and gave me a five dollar credit, but I think that not everybody even cares if it’s their Uber or not. They just jump in.
So how did the riders get to their destination? You have to change it yourself in the app. And Why didn't you cancel the ride on your phone when you saw this? You can ALWAYS cancel.
I once cancelled mid-ride because the driver was horrible. He dropped me off some place, and from there I called another one. Reported him to Uber, they gave me a credit, and I went on about my day.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

5,292 posts, read 2,792,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly.
Uber/Lyft are basically just modern-day cabs.
I use Uber very frequently. I always check the license plate prior to entering. There is also a picture of the driver on the app to help confirm his/her identity. The proper safety measures are there. Whether people chose to observe/follow these is a different matter. I guess the fact that a lot of people using these services are drunk doesn't help.
I use Lyft. The first thing I do is check the license plate to be sure it matches up--then the make and model of the car. Then triple check to be sure the driver looks like his photo.

Safety measures are there--just have to use them!

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

779 posts, read 273,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
Samantha Josephson found dead after getting into wrong car. Such a sad story.

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-...n-uber-murder/
For sure, it's not Ubers fault - their app shows the face of the driver and identification of the car.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

1,494 posts, read 785,078 times
I don't understand Uber/Lyft at all and why people use it. It's a complete enigma to me (especially because when I ask, I get a circular "because you just do!" kind of reply).

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

6,102 posts, read 3,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I don't understand Uber/Lyft at all and why people use it. It's a complete enigma to me (especially because when I ask, I get a circular "because you just do!" kind of reply).
I'll give you just one tiny example of the many reasons people use Uber. My husband has a small car repair shop. When people drop their car off for several hours or the whole day, they may still need to go back home or to work. My husband doesn't have loaner cars; his shop is too small. He used to arrange rental cars for people. Now, he just calls them an Uber and in short order, they are at work/home. In fact, I recently learned that the big dealership near us now offers customers Uber instead of loaner vehicles. It's less trouble for them overall.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,535,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I prefer Uber/Lyft to cabs because I have the ability to track the vehicle and know how long before it will arrive. I can watch its location real time on a map. I also know that they're not going to try to fleece me for a larger fare by driving me around in circles in a city I'm not familiar with because I can see the route on my phone as we're traveling.

Plus there's the advantage of not worrying about paying them. No need to pull out my wallet, count out cash or swipe a card and do the mental tip math in my head. It automatically goes to the credit card I have set up on my account (or PayPal if I prefer to go that route). I can add the tip later. It's also helpful when traveling for business, because the receipts automatically route to our expense system.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

836 posts, read 280,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I prefer Uber/Lyft to cabs because I have the ability to track the vehicle and know how long before it will arrive. I can watch its location real time on a map. I also know that they're not going to try to fleece me for a larger fare by driving me around in circles in a city I'm not familiar with because I can see the route on my phone as we're traveling.

Plus there's the advantage of not worrying about paying them. No need to pull out my wallet, count out cash or swipe a card and do the mental tip math in my head. It automatically goes to the credit card I have set up on my account (or PayPal if I prefer to go that route). I can add the tip later. It's also helpful when traveling for business, because the receipts automatically route to our expense system.
For all of the reasons stated above. ^^^

We use Uber when we travel. Mostly, it is to/from airports; except in major cities - I tend to use public transport. I like the convenience and ease of Uber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or