U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 09:49 PM

1,495 posts, read 785,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like an inability to understand simple concepts on your part, like it's faster, easier, and cheaper.
I've been out of the country for a good part of my life, so when I've tried to ask about what happened since I was gone, I get that kind of response.

If taxis updated their service to match Uber/Lyft, would you use them? There's something about having to install a phone app, and riding in a stranger's personal vehicle, that I'm not very comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 AM

19,416 posts, read 15,979,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I've been out of the country for a good part of my life, so when I've tried to ask about what happened since I was gone, I get that kind of response.

If taxis updated their service to match Uber/Lyft, would you use them? There's something about having to install a phone app, and riding in a stranger's personal vehicle, that I'm not very comfortable with.
I wasn’t either at first. I’m not a bandwagon person interms of tech. I don’t even have Facebook because I don’t trust it. But I had only $1800 a month coming in from a private disability policy and was blowing through my savings for cabs and $50 a pop co-pays. I had nothing to lose, and it made a tremendous difference both financially and in terms of my pain and suffering.

I rarely take it at night, and in the daytime it’s mostly retirees in my area who just want to get out of the house and who like meeting people. My bff drives for both while her kids are at school for extra money. Also every driver has a rating, and you can only pick drivers with good ratings. It’s also set up so if you give a driver 3 stars or less, that driver will no longer get notice when you request a ride, so no worry about getting him again.

I haven’t looked up stats, but I would be willing to wager there has been a visible decrease in drunk driving since Uber and lift came about. Like most everything, there’s both good and bad.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM

9,060 posts, read 4,283,223 times
Quote:

Well it's the phone app that attract me to them. You already have dozens of apps on your phone. What's uncomfortable about having the ability to instantly get a firm rate quote on a ride, order it, get informed of the driver and car dispatched, track it's approach, and then leave feedback on your experience?

If taxis could provide a similar app at similar rates, of course they would be considered. In fact, I think it's the only way they are going to survive. Attempt to survive by political pressure on local politicians to either ban rideshares and legislate the crap out of them are not going over well with the public.

Uber is world wide.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:31 AM

9,000 posts, read 4,540,605 times
Quote:

What's the problem with installing a phone app? And how is a taxi driver any less of a stranger than an Uber driver?

Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM

8,848 posts, read 6,100,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's no cab service in my town.
Right. There's cab service here, but it is terrible. Our bus system is EXTREMELY ghetto and pretty poor as well. For those who can afford it, Uber is a much better way to get around.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,285,499 times
I got an email today from Uber (I presume all registered users did), that was a reminder of the safeguards they have in place and the importance of using them.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 785,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What's the problem with installing a phone app? And how is a taxi driver any less of a stranger than an Uber driver?
The fewer data and location mining apps on my phone, the better.

There isn't much difference between a taxi service and some guy in a car, to be fair. But isn't it easier to hold a numbered taxi vehicle, licensed and identified driver, and taxi company accountable, in case something goes wrong? You just walk up to a common car and ask them if they're Uber, right? Can Uber or police track the car as easily as a taxi service?

"Uber is worldwide" is not the same as "Uber is used and accepted the same way in every country."

At the end of the day I'm not comfortable with it, but I appreciate the perspective. I'm not really here to win an argument. I guess I'm frustrated that the country isn't exactly how I remembered it, and that's my own problem.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM

12,237 posts, read 10,159,564 times
Quote:

There isn't much difference between a taxi service and some guy in a car, to be fair. But isn't it easier to hold a numbered taxi vehicle, licensed and identified driver, and taxi company accountable, in case something goes wrong? You just walk up to a common car and ask them if they're Uber, right? Can Uber or police track the car as easily as a taxi service?

"Uber is worldwide" is not the same as "Uber is used and accepted the same way in every country."

At the end of the day I'm not comfortable with it, but I appreciate the perspective. I'm not really here to win an argument. I guess I'm frustrated that the country isn't exactly how I remembered it, and that's my own problem.
No, the app tells you how far away the driver is and gives you info about the car and driver him/herself. You know when your driver arrives, then you just need to look for their car but usually it isn't difficult. I say "look for" because if I'm using Uber, it's with a group in places like Hoboken that are very popular and busy and many others are using Uber as well. So cars everywhere, traffic. People all around. In some contexts it will be very easy to "find" your car. You can also track the car's movements on a map. Samantha's boyfriend was apparently tracking her to ensure she got home safe; obviously, she did not. So if users can track, I wouldn't be surprised if Uber had the tracking info somewhere as well, but I don't know for sure.

Uber tends to be pretty on top of things like safety and dealing with complaints. Like many other companies, they don't want bad press and as long as it wouldn't be too expensive for them/isn't too major of an issue, from what I understand they're pretty good at refunding people and stuff if something happens that affects the ride or experience.

Imo hailing a cab in NYC is more difficult than using Uber, lol.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM

19,416 posts, read 15,979,719 times
Quote:

The car is tracked the entire time on Uber. You can watch the car on the app before it gets to you, watch it go down the road and make turns as it heads toward your house. You don't normally just walk up to a car, the app says "your driver is Dan and he's driving a white 2017 Nissan Altima with license plate number blah blah blah. There is a picture of Dan. You stand and wait until a white Nissan Altima pulls up to you, and you make sure it looks like Dan. This girl unfortunately didn't pay enough attention. She'd probably done it so many times she took it for granted.

I will say as an older person, sometimes I can't read what the license number says in the app nor see the picture well even with my glasses on. But for most, the safety features are there.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:27 PM

8,848 posts, read 6,100,841 times
Quote:

No, you don't just walk up to a common car. You know what car to expect. You know what the driver looks like. You know the car's license plate. You also see the car's exact location on your phone.

And OF COURSE Uber and police can track the car. MUCH more easily than a Taxi, as everything is literally tracked by GPS. The rider is tracked, as is the driver. And you can even send live tracking to a friend or family member if so concerned, so that a third party knows where you are at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or