U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

19,446 posts, read 15,993,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Thanks for recognising that ocnjgirl, when I was doing “The Knowledge”, there were two guys that I knew who had dropped out of university to earn their badge, as at that time, (early seventies), driving a licenced taxi in London was equated with a licence to print money.
We have the same trouble over here with what you call “gipsy cabs”, they hang around outside clubs, theatres, restaurants, etc., in the hope of scooping up someone who’s not streetwise, just eager to get home, they’re almost all just ordinary guys with a saloon car, no Uber or minicab licence, nothing, nada.
My wife and I came out of Coq d’Argent, an upscale French restaurant in the Financial District recently, and were accosted by one of these jerks, “Taxi Sir?”
I fished my badge out of my back pocket, showed it to him, and said, “Yes, if you see one, tell him I’m walking down King William St, toward London Bridge, thanks a lot.”
It was a good come back, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

2,929 posts, read 2,628,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Uber, Lyft, AirBnB, all of these are fertile stalking grounds for predators and degenerates that mix in with honest hard working folks.
Exactly. A bunch of slick marketers has fooled the public into thinking that they will save a few cents. And so many of the public have been fooled and think that incidents such as this are just bad luck, like slipping in the shower. Meanwhile, they are decimating legitimate well-regulated industries designed to keep predators and degenerates at bay.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

19,446 posts, read 15,993,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Exactly. A bunch of slick marketers has fooled the public into thinking that they will save a few cents. And so many of the public have been fooled and think that incidents such as this are just bad luck, like slipping in the shower. Meanwhile, they are decimating legitimate well-regulated industries designed to keep predators and degenerates at bay.
It’s much more than a few cents. In my case it was hundreds of dollars a month at a time I had only $1800 a month coming in from a disability policy. And had multiple appointments a week, for months. It made the difference whether I could pay my bills or not until my surgery and recovery. How that qualifies as me being “fooled” I don’t get. It was concrete, the cab cost $50 to get me to my chiropractor while Uber was a bit more than half that amount. I had never tried Uber before and no marketing campaign got me to try it, it was the sticker shock from that first cab ride to my Chiro and the realization I’d be in debt up to my eyeballs if I had tho pay that fee several times a week. So who fooled me, and how?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 12:32 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

14,647 posts, read 13,016,685 times
Quote:
Uh yea, you do save money, and they are convenient, hence why they are growing in popularity.

Hotels and cabs had their fair share of issues also, do you need a few examples?

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

12,398 posts, read 8,349,369 times
This case is very interesting because the suspect Nathaniel David Rowland was not known to have this kind of behavior. Is this a case of the woman getting on the suspect's car and then he dropped her off somewhere but she end up getting killed afterwards by somebody else.

Very interesting case, I wonder how much evidence does the police have and hope there's no cover up or evidence tampering.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,136,799 times
Quote:
Lol, and cabs/hotels don't have issues of their own?

Also, you actually do save more than a few cents. Now I know you're completely out of the loop on things like this.

Old Today, 04:32 AM

13,617 posts, read 12,390,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This case is very interesting because the suspect Nathaniel David Rowland was not known to have this kind of behavior. Is this a case of the woman getting on the suspect's car and then he dropped her off somewhere but she end up getting killed afterwards by somebody else.

Very interesting case, I wonder how much evidence does the police have and hope there's no cover up or evidence tampering.
Did you not read the part about how blood and her cellphone was found in his car and he tried to run from police when he was approached? He did it.

Old Today, 04:59 AM

5,932 posts, read 1,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Uber, Lyft, AirBnB, all of these are fertile stalking grounds for predators and degenerates that mix in with honest hard working folks.
You forgot Uber Eats, PostMates Instacart, and Door Dash

Imagine a potential serial killer working for Uber Eats getting the phone number and address (two things you need to make the delivery) of a potential victim

OMG! Ban mobile apps!

Old Today, 06:26 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,111,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You forgot Uber Eats, PostMates Instacart, and Door Dash

Imagine a potential serial killer working for Uber Eats getting the phone number and address (two things you need to make the delivery) of a potential victim

OMG! Ban mobile apps!
Just one quick thing: They don't get your actual phone number. They can call you through the app, but they don't see YOUR number. Same thing if you decide to call them, you can do so through the app, but you'll see some sort of temporary number show up -- not theirs.

Old Today, 06:38 AM

7,396 posts, read 7,932,896 times
This might have been discussed but my biggest problem with Uber/Lyft/etc is that they market themselves like "too drunk to drive? call an Uber" Ok, I'm too drunk to drive so I call an Uber. If I am too drunk to drive arent I also too drunk to be able to scrutinize if the car claiming to be Uber is the car that is actually from Uber?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or