U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM

427 posts, read 591,463 times

Advertisements

If she had a gun on her, she'd be alive today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:58 AM

11,384 posts, read 6,355,897 times
It sounds like we need to get self driving ride services in the future.

I don't like the idea of getting in a car alone with a strange guy, esp at night, really even if he's legit.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 AM

8,734 posts, read 7,960,622 times
I know her family, my sorority sister's daughter was roomates with her.

This is just horrific.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM

26 posts, read 8,523 times
Didn't read all replies...

Lyft has those front dash, lit up "Lyft" signs that our latest driver told us they have to earn.

Of course someone could always steal one, but it's another safety check that makes me feel a bit better. Don't know why Uber doesn't have one yet.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 AM

8,831 posts, read 6,095,001 times
The whole "cab drivers are fingerprinted, have special licenses," etc. etc., varies depending on state and jurisdiction. I've known quite a few cab company drivers who hired any random dude who had a valid driver's license. Some of the guys I know to be some pretty heavy drug users with shady criminal pasts.

Uber does background checks, as well as driving history checks. Same with Lyft. In jurisdictions that require it, they too must carry a "special" license.

A yellow cab in NYC is convenient, I agree. But that's in NYC, where they are virtually everywhere. Most cities do not have that.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 AM

19,387 posts, read 15,971,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with "cheap." Often, especially at those hours, Uber/Lyft charge "surge" pricing, which end up being MORE expensive than a standard taxi.
If taxi's operated with an app with live tracking and full driver information the way the Uber and Lyft apps work, I'm SURE more people would be happy to use them. But the antiquated model of hailing down a cab after waiting outside for God-knows-how-long is a thing of the past.
Back before Uber, we would call cab company at 2am, say we're ready to be picked up (we don't have areas where you can "hail a cab")....and get told "we are extremely busy right now, it will be about 90 minutes". So you stand around a closed bar dark parking lot waiting, not much safer. If you call at 12:30 though anticipating a wait, they show up in 10 minutes and you have to leave before you're ready.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:21 AM

4,945 posts, read 5,179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
Sure, now give me the percentages of the uber customers that do the blue security measures EVERYTIME they get a UBER.
Those statistics probably aren't available but I can tell you that I do it every single time.

Quote:
Below is probably what is typical for what happens, when most Uber drivers pull up to their pickup.

Uber sends them the name of the driver.... The uber driver pulls up and rolls down the window. The pick up is in a hurry and before the driver can even speak the rider says " Are you Bob ? Driver… "Yep, That's me, get in and lets go". ( No bad guy would lie about their name, now would they ?)
Probably....haha

IME, when I open the door, the driver says "Jane?" I then say "John?"

Quote:
license plate number.... Sure, the pick up is going to walk around behind or in front of the car, (during the cold, snowy, raining, windy conditions?) hold their phone up and check the plates while comparing them to the number on their phone EVERY time, they use UBER. \
There's no need to walk around the car. The GPS indicates from which direction the car is coming. So yeah, I'm scanning for cars that meet the description and their license plates as they go past. Usually looking at the first three or four digits. Then when it stops, I confirm the entire plate number.

Ubers/Lyfts are usually slowing as they approach the pick-up, so it's not difficult to do.

Quote:
description of the car he's driving.....Have you noticed how many millions of cars that look alike now ? And females are supposed know one from the other ? Many of them have badges on them that even I a 66 year old male, cannot find nowadays without walking around the vehicle 360 degrees.
That statement is so ridiculous, it doesn't even deserve a response. Get out of here with that BS.

Quote:
So if a pickup just fails to do the uber security policies in blue above 50% of the time they get a uber, then sooner or later, there is a higher percentage of chance the pickup, could be a fake uber driver.
We all have to some personal responsibility for keeping ourselves safe, if I fail to confirm that I'm getting in MY Uber that is not the fault of Uber/Lyft.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM

19,387 posts, read 15,971,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
terrible tragedy for not being attentive. I don't believe Uber/Lyft are anymore dangerous than taking a cab. I always check the license tag of the vehicle Uber/Lyft provides me when the driver arrives to make sure it's the same as they sent to me prior to their arrival.
There's a move now to require them to be issued some kind of illuminated i.d. to put on the cars. It is actually more dangerous to be a driver than a passenger though, whether taxi or Uber. Taxi drivers have a homicide rate 30x higher than the national average, and much higher than the rate of homicide for police officers:

"In fact, according to Bloomberg, taxi driving is the occupation with the largest number of deaths due to violence, higher than both police officers and security guards. Between the years of 1994 and 2013, an average of 34 cab drivers were murdered on the job every year".

Rideshare drivers are beat up, robbed and victimized at a high rate, too.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 AM

14,579 posts, read 12,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You are oddly defending the status quo. The OP case is one example of a problem, there is still a problem.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-storrow-drive

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news...ting-passenger

Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 AM

9,882 posts, read 4,366,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
terrible tragedy for not being attentive. I don't believe Uber/Lyft are anymore dangerous than taking a cab. I always check the license tag of the vehicle Uber/Lyft provides me when the driver arrives to make sure it's the same as they sent to me prior to their arrival.
But there is no guarantee that a legitimate driver wouldn't have done those things to begin with...

You act as if he couldn't have been the real driver, then proceeded with this anyway. What about that story from a few years ago where that woman was taken fora ride around town then dropped off at some random place? She didn't die but she took a "real" uber.

Sooner or later, one of these apps will get a surveillance mode. Record audio and video when they have app open for both the rider and driver that uploads to their servers. If they can't stop the crime, they can get evidence for the cops.

Only reason this story is "big" is because she is good looking. This isn't any more tragic than someone dying because they ate tide pods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or