Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 10:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,095,543 times

Advertisements

Before hopping in, check the driver, car model, and license plate number against the information in the app. Once you’re in the car, have your driver confirm your name before they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I have never taken a UBER so I am not up to date on their policies. But one can see if they read the blue above, the percentages of anyone taking these measures day in and day out while using uber..IMO are not that great.

I really wish this young lady in the OP had abided by them. JMO

I think the percentages are extremely high. How else would you know which car to get into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
These companies should be shut down.Period! Whatever happened to the days when you would tell your kids to never get in a car with strangers and nowadays it has become a business!! Crazy!! These companies are only in it for the money.Bring back yellow taxi cabs I say.

That's silly. I know 10x more about my uber driver than any taxi cab driver. As if taxis aren't just in it for the money. Guess what? Every service provider is in it for the money.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,717,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
If she had a gun on her, she'd be alive today.
She was out drinking, and no state allows a person to be in possession of a firearm while drinking, I do not know if they even allow them in bars? So while you are correct in a way, realistically she would not be carrying due to her drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's a move now to require them to be issued some kind of illuminated i.d. to put on the cars. It is actually more dangerous to be a driver than a passenger though, whether taxi or Uber. Taxi drivers have a homicide rate 30x higher than the national average, and much higher than the rate of homicide for police officers:

"In fact, according to Bloomberg, taxi driving is the occupation with the largest number of deaths due to violence, higher than both police officers and security guards. Between the years of 1994 and 2013, an average of 34 cab drivers were murdered on the job every year".

Rideshare drivers are beat up, robbed and victimized at a high rate, too.
A difference is that you can get a taxi anonymously, while with an Uber, you are registered with a credit card also, so more difficult to be anonymous.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,549,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I have never taken a UBER so I am not up to date on their policies. But one can see if they read the blue above, the percentages of anyone taking these measures day in and day out while using uber..IMO are not that great.

I really wish this young lady in the OP had abided by them. JMO
It’s really not hard to check to make sure that the license plate matches what it says in the app before getting into the car. I’ve taken Uber/Lyft lots of times and I’ve never accidentally gotten into the wrong car. But the only person who should be blamed for this crime is the psycho who killed this girl- not Uber.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,489,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Before hopping in, check the driver, car model, and license plate number against the information in the app. Once you’re in the car, have your driver confirm your name before they go.

I think the percentages are extremely high. How else would you know which car to get into?
And most rapes and murders happen between people who know each other

What does confirming their identity have to do with it? You saying you knowing who they are gives you a bulletproof vest? If they were intent on this, they can register to drive then what? You get into a real uber and still get killed.

With all the cctv surveillance, especially around bars, the killer didn't do it because he thought he would be anonymous. Hell maybe the two of them had a nice chat and introduced themselves before he killed her!

Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Yes, unless you've ridden with a particular cab driver before, he is a stranger to you, but the difference is that cab drivers need to be licensed to do what they do (they need a special permit from the city and/or county in which they drive), whereas Uber and Lyft drivers do not. Uber and Lyft will accept just about anyone to drive for them. A good taxi service will do a more thorough background check on someone before hiring them than Uber or Lyft does. With a cab service, you may need to present evidence that you've taken a defensive driving class recently to get your taxi license/permit. Uber does not require this.
Uber also does not require drug testing before hiring someone.

Your entire argument is based on comparing real taxi drivers with real uber drivers. This case is about someone who was neither. It isn't about a creepy uber driver attacking the rider. She didn't get into an uber. A person who was a serial killer might paint a car up to look like a taxi but that wouldn't make them licensed and fingerprinted.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Your entire argument is based on comparing real taxi drivers with real uber drivers. This case is about someone who was neither. It isn't about a creepy uber driver attacking the rider. She didn't get into an uber. A person who was a serial killer might paint a car up to look like a taxi but that wouldn't make them licensed and fingerprinted.
There was a time when bartenders would order you a cab and let you know when it was here. Then they had the peace of mind that the person they got drunk was in somewhat trusted hands because they know the taxi drivers from frequent interaction

Old 04-02-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I said this elsewhere but the problem here might well have been a lack of front license plates in SC. The killer was a black dude in a dark sedan. Odds arent awful that the real Uber matched those details. License plate check is easily done in state with required front plates..not in states lacking that. I try to walk to the back of the car to check the plates in such states, but i know some people roll their eyes at that. It can be perceived as rude or wasting time, so theres a subtle pressure for people to just get on with it.

But you also see the tracking location and eta on your phone. When your ride arrives you get a message that your ride has arrived. If a car pulls up and waves you over but your app says eta 5 minutes, that might be a sign to check the plates.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
But you also see the tracking location and eta on your phone. When your ride arrives you get a message that your ride has arrived. If a car pulls up and waves you over but your app says eta 5 minutes, that might be a sign to check the plates.
Not everyone uses the app, I use the web/mobile version because I don't want the app on phone and don't use it enough to either. But the web interface works enough to get me a ride when I need it.

This has nothing to do with uber, before the ride sharing days, people got into strangers cars because all they had to do was pull up to the curb and say hey you guys need a ride?

Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That particular lady made a critical mistake though. She asked the fake driver, "are you here for Liz," to which the driver said yeah and to get in the car. One should NEVER ask that, instead, you ask who the driver is picking up. If they don't know your name, bingo, don't get in.

I think most often when that happens it's a bootleg driver. I was waiting on uber at airport arrivals once when a guy pulled up and asked if I was waiting on uber, said he was an uber driver who customer just canceled, since he was here he'd take me where I was going for half-price cash. I turned him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events