Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 02:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ve never walked around to the back of the car at night to check the license. I don’t think it’s actually something most people think to do.
Well at the absolute least they should verify the make and model. I guess it's possible this psychopath drove the same kind of car Uber sent her, but I highly doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ve never walked around to the back of the car at night to check the license. I don’t think it’s actually something most people think to do.
The car normally parks up somewhere in front of me. So when I see it, the plate is in plain sight.
In addition to that, the phone has two GPS-tracked dots: one is you, one is the driver. You can literally see yourself walking to the appropriate car. It’s how I know I’m going to the right vehicle to begin with.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The car normally parks up somewhere in front of me. So when I see it, the plate is in plain sight.
In addition to that, the phone has two GPS-tracked dots: one is you, one is the driver. You can literally see yourself walking to the appropriate car. It’s how I know I’m going to the right vehicle to begin with.
I think the vast majority of people using Uber pay attention to making sure it's the right vehicle before getting in, this girl simply jumped into a car that happened to drive up - I find that pretty astonishing. I don't want to blame the victim, but this can't be typical behavior for an Uber user. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about walking into a psycho's car, I would be more concerned with the reaction of "what in hell are you doing in my car?!"

Old 04-03-2019, 03:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It absolutely is.

Another violent man killed another woman for no reason. Also, water is wet.

A woman in Jersey City was just found dead in a lake, she'd been strangled while on a run around the lake, in the park. A man killed her. Should women not go for jogs, or perhaps is something else maybe the issue?
Quote:
Even locking yourself in your house and never going out won't necessarily keep you safe, and when it doesn't, people will blame you for not having strong or effective enough locks, or for not having a weapon to use in self-defense.

It's much easier to look at the actions of the victim than it is to really look into why men have such a high propensity to be violent and commit random acts of violence, yes, against both men and women. Over 90% of murders are committed by men.
Exactly! I totally understand that since I can't control the actions of other people, I can only do my best to be cautious and try not to put myself in potentially dangerous situations. Sure, it's not difficult to verify that a car is your Uber before you hop in and you definitely should, but it's also not difficult for men to NOT kidnap, assault, rape, and murder people.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I think the vast majority of people using Uber pay attention to making sure it's the right vehicle before getting in, this girl simply jumped into a car that happened to drive up - I find that pretty astonishing. I don't want to blame the victim, but this can't be typical behavior for an Uber user.
We don't know for sure what happened. She could have asked if he was an Uber driver and he could have said yes. She could have said, "are you here for Samantha?" and he could have said yes. It's better to ask "who are you here for?" but let's not assume she just got into the car, no questions asked. He could have lied to her. Given that he killed her, it wouldn't surprise me if he also lied to her.

Remember Mollie Tibbetts in rural Iowa? Another young woman murdered while jogging, like Karina Vetrano in Queens a few years ago. What would have stopped their murders? Not exercising alone outside? Well, excuse them. This is kind of the point, no matter what people do, they may still be victimized. It is not realistic to keep people inside or even 100% safe outside in public, because they'll never be, even if they take precautions. Someone can always be overpowered, and how realistic is it really to then suggest that women go nowhere alone, for example? All because some men cannot control themselves? How far will we take this "well you could always do this and she didn't, so..." logic?

We can scrutinize Samantha's actions all we want, but for all we know, if not her, it would have been someone else, another opportunistic murder victim. In this case, it seems we have a man who for some reason thought it'd be a good idea to kidnap and murder a young woman. Nothing is a bigger issue than that thought process.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Exactly! I totally understand that since I can't control the actions of other people, I can only do my best to be cautious and try not to put myself in potentially dangerous situations. Sure, it's not difficult to verify that a car is your Uber before you hop in and you definitely should, but it's also not difficult for men to NOT kidnap, assault, rape, and murder people.
Why are you trying to make sense of a psychotic murdering maniac? it's impossible to understand them and a waste of time applying normal standards of behavior to them.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
We don't know for sure what happened. She could have asked if he was an Uber driver and he could have said yes. She could have said, "are you here for Samantha?" and he could have said yes. It's better to ask "who are you here for?" but let's not assume she just got into the car, no questions asked. He could have lied to her. Given that he killed her, it wouldn't surprise me if he also lied to her.

Remember Mollie Tibbetts in rural Iowa? Another young woman murdered while jogging, like Karina Vetrano in Queens a few years ago. What would have stopped their murders? Not exercising alone outside? Well, excuse them. This is kind of the point, no matter what people do, they may still be victimized. It is not realistic to keep people inside or even 100% safe outside in public, because they'll never be, even if they take precautions. Someone can always be overpowered, and how realistic is it really to then suggest that women go nowhere alone, for example? All because some men cannot control themselves? How far will we take this "well you could always do this and she didn't, so..." logic?

We can scrutinize Samantha's actions all we want, but for all we know, if not her, it would have been someone else, another opportunistic murder victim. In this case, it seems we have a man who for some reason thought it'd be a good idea to kidnap and murder a young woman. Nothing is a bigger issue than that thought process.
The video shows her walk up and jump in the back seat. I don't think any conversation took place. Even if it had, it still would have made no sense for her to get in because the vehicle didn't match what Uber sent.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This horrible stuff will not end until we know why men have a higher propensity to commit these acts and until we know how we can try to stop or prevent it from their ends. I really hope research goes into this, and if it doesn't, it should. Whether the causes are hormonal, environmental, social, it's a major problem, bigger than a young woman not checking the make or model of a car before getting into it.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:10 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
However, Uber is just another crowd sourcing company. How do you know if the Uber driver is not some sexual predator? Do you really think Uber vets drivers? There are more news of legit Uber drivers committing sexual crimes and Uber has not done a good job dealing with the victims. They are only looking out for them, who is looking out for you?
They do complete background checks on their drivers. But not every perv has a police record. There's not much Uber can do to eliminate those drivers.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The video shows her walk up and jump in the back seat. I don't think any conversation took place.
Perhaps it did once in the car, but by that point, the child locks were in place and she had no chance. I have watched people get into Ubers, close the door, then get out when they realize it's the wrong car. It's not like this is rare, especially when dealing with drunk people in busier downtown type areas on weekend nights. People do what she did all the time. From what I see just out in public, most people do not take many precautions at all to ensure they are in the right car. They just happen to not get murdered in the end, because she was very unlucky that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events