Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:55 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times

Advertisements

You people are kidding, right?

Regular yellow cab drivers rape and murder, too.
There have even been serial rapists who used their taxis to get victims.

Saying this is an uber/lyft problem is incorrect and misses the point entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,471,399 times
Such a sad story. I can't even begin to imagine what this poor woman went through. I hope the POS rots in prison and/or is treated by the other inmates how he treated this woman.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,550,918 times
So my preference are cabs, mainly because where I live they are fingerprinted, back ground checked and usually the outside of the cab has a specific id number.

But let me say I live in a major city so I can stand on the corner of downtown and easily hail a cab.

Does Uber do any type of background check on it's drivers??

Second, I thought in order to be an uber driver your car had to be fairly decent? I got into one a few days ago and it was a pig pen.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,471,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my preference are cabs, mainly because where I live they are fingerprinted, back ground checked and usually the outside of the cab has a specific id number.

But let me say I live in a major city so I can stand on the corner of downtown and easily hail a cab.

Does Uber do any type of background check on it's drivers??

Second, I thought in order to be an uber driver your car had to be fairly decent? I got into one a few days ago and it was a pig pen.
They do a background check.

https://help.uber.com/partners/artic...5-e779a86db366

For car requirements I can't find anything on their official site but it appears it just must have 4 doors and then they have some local requirements for age of car for UberX and UberXL.

https://www.uber.com/drive/los-angel...-requirements/

https://rideshareapps.com/uber-vehic...ents-for-2019/

Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 AM

20,023 posts, read 8,919,129 times
terrible tragedy for not being attentive. I don't believe Uber/Lyft are anymore dangerous than taking a cab. I always check the license tag of the vehicle Uber/Lyft provides me when the driver arrives to make sure it's the same as they sent to me prior to their arrival.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 AM

8,000 posts, read 7,357,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
Samantha Josephson found dead after getting into wrong car. Such a sad story.

I wonder if the poor girl was "conditioned" not to ask questions, if she felt uncomfortable getting into the car, for any reason. The kind of thing we don't talk about.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:39 AM

17,390 posts, read 11,940,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Yes, unless you've ridden with a particular cab driver before, he is a stranger to you, but the difference is that cab drivers need to be licensed to do what they do (they need a special permit from the city and/or county in which they drive), whereas Uber and Lyft drivers do not. Uber and Lyft will accept just about anyone to drive for them. A good taxi service will do a more thorough background check on someone before hiring them than Uber or Lyft does. With a cab service, you may need to present evidence that you've taken a defensive driving class recently to get your taxi license/permit. Uber does not require this.
Uber also does not require drug testing before hiring someone.

As I said in my reply above, I don't know why people think it is safer to ride in an Uber/Lyft than it is to ride in a taxicab. Uber and Lyft drivers are for the most part people who are driving part-time to pick up extra cash. They're NOT professional drivers like a cab or car service driver. They don't need any special training to get hired, they don't need a special license (other than a regular driver's license), and they aren't drug tested. Their driving skills and style are not evaluated by Uber or Lyft prior to be allowed to pick up customers. What other job do you know of where you can be hired without even a face-to-face interview with a company? Uber and Lyft hire people they have never met, and only do a cursory background check (without fingerprinting) before they hire someone to drive for them. I don't know if this is true in the SLC area, but I do know that in NYC, cab drivers are required to display their taxi license, complete with the driver's first and last names, the driver's photo and the license number, visibly in the front interior of the taxi. With Uber and Lyft, you get to see a photo that the driver chose (which is rather small), and you are only provided with the driver's first name.

BTW, there are some cab companies that have smartphone apps that allow you to reserve a car and follow the progress of the car as it makes its way to your pickup location, just like Uber and Lyft do.

See my comments above. Cab drivers and bus drivers are PROFESSIONALS, Uber/Lyft drivers are not. As someone who has worked for the Utah Transit Authority here in Salt Lake, I can tell you that there is a lengthy process that someone has to go through before he or she is allowed to operate a bus, light rail or commuter rail train or paratransit vehicle carrying passengers. Classroom and field training is done for each job, and you won't be allowed to carry any passengers until your skills have been evaluated by a senior operator first. You have to pass a Department of Transportation physical, including a vision test, hearing test and drug test. Uber and Lyft does NONE of this before sending a new driver out on the road to pick up customers!

I disagree. Most people that drive cabs do so as their profession, not as a "side hustle" like Uber and Lyft.
I've already stated how easy it is to get a job as a driver for Uber and Lyft. Their hiring process is a joke, really. If the proper safety measures are there as you say, then why do so many Uber and Lyft drivers still think that they can get away with doing inappropriate and/or illegal things to their passengers? (Yes, I do realize that in this particular case, the man who picked up the young woman was not an actual Uber driver but was pretending to be one.)
There is actually a website that lists all of the incidents that have occurred where Uber and Lyft drivers have assaulted, kidnapped or raped their passengers, but because CD will not allow me to post links to other websites, I can't mention the site here.
Completely irrelevant, since the person that killed her was neither. Folks are acting as if the Uber driver murdered her. They did not.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,980,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I have never taken a UBER so I am not up to date on their policies. But one can see if they read the blue above, the percentages of anyone taking these measures day in and day out while using uber..IMO are not that great.

I really wish this young lady in the OP had abided by them. JMO

I've used Uber fairly often, back when I was having some car trouble. I'm 61, and I can tell you that using the app, it'll tell you what the car IS, what color it is, the driver who's coming to get you, how far away it is, how many minutes it'll be, all of that.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 AM

20,023 posts, read 8,919,129 times
this thread is another fine example of people with absolutely no idea how these car services ( or anything else) work having strong opinions based on nothing.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 AM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You are oddly defending the status quo. The OP case is one example of a problem, there is still a problem.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-storrow-drive
Substitute taxi for Uber in that sentence and you've got the same outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events