Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 01:46 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,538,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Obviously the killer was the problem. But she also acted very foolishly. This isn't about "men controlling themselves." This is about being vigilant when out and about, especially in areas where creeps are likely to lurk. The outside of a bar late at night is not a safe place for ANYONE. Men get robbed and killed the same way women get attacked when proper precautions aren't exercised.
I don’t really think she did anything out of the ordinary by going to a bar at night, drinking a bit, and then calling an Uber. Getting into the wrong car and not checking the license plate was a mistake, but she’s not the only one who’s ever made that mistake. I think some of you just want to focus on what she did wrong so that you can have peace of mind that this wouldn’t happen to you or your loved one. As long as there are violent men walking around, we’ll always have problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:57 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,035,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don’t really think she did anything out of the ordinary by going to a bar at night, drinking a bit, and then calling an Uber. Getting into the wrong car and not checking the license plate was a mistake, but she’s not the only one who’s ever made that mistake. I think some of you just want to focus on what she did wrong so that you can have peace of mind that this wouldn’t happen to you or your loved one. As long as there are violent men walking around, we’ll always have problems.
I wasn't implying that she did anything wrong by doing that. I, and many others, have done that.

The reason for focusing on what she did wrong is simple: This is something that can be avoided if one is just SLIGHTLY vigilant of ones surroundings.

Also, unless someone else called for her Uber ride, I am still confused about this whole "getting into the wrong car" thing.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,897,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I have never taken a UBER so I am not up to date on their policies. But one can see if they read the blue above, the percentages of anyone taking these measures day in and day out while using uber..IMO are not that great.

I really wish this young lady in the OP had abided by them. JMO
I think the least likely is checking the license plate. Most people do seem to confirm who the driver is there to pick up, but it's usually so they don't get into someone else's Uber, not to ensure the "Uber driver" isn't actually some other psycho who wants to kill you. So even those who do use some of those measures likely aren't doing them for their own safety, they're probably not thinking about the possibility that someone else is going to pose as an Uber driver then kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Obviously the killer was the problem. But she also acted very foolishly. This isn't about "men controlling themselves." This is about being vigilant when out and about, especially in areas where creeps are likely to lurk. The outside of a bar late at night is not a safe place for ANYONE. Men get robbed and killed the same way women get attacked when proper precautions aren't exercised.
It absolutely is.

Another violent man killed another woman for no reason. Also, water is wet.

A woman in Jersey City was just found dead in a lake, she'd been strangled while on a run around the lake, in the park. A man killed her. Should women not go for jogs, or perhaps is something else maybe the issue?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,529,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
this is scary so many Uber drivers in this area do not have visible verification!
However, Uber is just another crowd sourcing company. How do you know if the Uber driver is not some sexual predator? Do you really think Uber vets drivers? There are more news of legit Uber drivers committing sexual crimes and Uber has not done a good job dealing with the victims. They are only looking out for them, who is looking out for you?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,002,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Taxi drivers are strangers. Their movements and the details of their fares have historically not been tracked or verified by the company as well as the customer on their phone, either, unlike Uber and Lyft.

A taxi could easily pick up a fare, turn off their sign, drive to a remote location and do what they wanted. You are hysterical.

I agree, let's go back to the days when companies operated out of the goodness of their hearts.

I have an opinion just like everyone else BUT I don't call people names if I don't agree with them.. unlike you.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:14 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,536,283 times
Quote:
I disagree, I can't fathom calling for an Uber and not checking to see what kind of car to expect and license plate number to verify it's my ride - then simply getting into a car that happens to drive up. I would certainly expect that this was indeed not ordinary behavior.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Even locking yourself in your house and never going out won't necessarily keep you safe, and when it doesn't, people will blame you for not having strong or effective enough locks, or for not having a weapon to use in self-defense.

It's much easier to look at the actions of the victim than it is to really look into why men have such a high propensity to be violent and commit random acts of violence, yes, against both men and women. Over 90% of murders are committed by men.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:26 PM

15,705 posts, read 9,426,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Even locking yourself in your house and never going out won't necessarily keep you safe, and when it doesn't, people will blame you for not having strong or effective enough locks, or for not having a weapon to use in self-defense.

It's much easier to look at the actions of the victim than it is to really look into why men have such a high propensity to be violent and commit random acts of violence, yes, against both men and women. Over 90% of murders are committed by men.
I cannot do anything about violent men. can try to impress my children the importance of being as safe as you can to ensure they have done everything possible that they can do to make sure they are attacked. Using this poor kid as an example of what not to do sounds like basic parenting to me. I'm not blaming her, but i am saying don't just get into some car without verifying it's the right car.

I almost blame her friends more than I do her. They let a girl who had been drinking call Uber for a ride home? I hope they at least partly blame themselves.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM

50,186 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I disagree, I can't fathom calling for an Uber and not checking to see what kind of car to expect and license plate number to verify it's my ride - then simply getting into a car that happens to drive up. I would certainly expect that this was indeed not ordinary behavior.
I’ve never walked around to the back of the car at night to check the license. I don’t think it’s actually something most people think to do.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I cannot do anything about violent men. can try to impress my children the importance of being as safe as you can to ensure they have done everything possible that they can do to make sure they are attacked. Using this poor kid as an example of what not to do sounds like basic parenting to me. I'm not blaming her, but i am saying don't just get into some car without verifying it's the right car.

I almost blame her friends more than I do her. They let a girl who had been drinking call Uber for a ride home? I hope they at least partly blame themselves.
That depends on why men are so violent, what the causes are. If they are in any way social causes, even partially, then yes, you can. We all can. Maybe it has something to do, partially, with how the sexes are socialized. Do men truly always commit sex crimes to exert power or is it ever at all because they feel entitled to sex, for example? When a woman rejects them and they kill her, do they do that because they have not been taught how to properly handle rejection, their emotions?

Stressing safety is important but it's stupid to act like this has nothing to do with the fact that men are the more violent sex, by a landslide, and that they commit random violent acts like this far too often. Even people, especially women who tend to not be as strong as men, who do everything right can still be victims, and what do we say then? Do we still find a way to act like they could have done something even more or do we confront the larger problem?

Also, her friends are not at fault. The one who killed her is solely at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events