Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,580,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

I think the problem is Disneyfication. Many tourists think wherever they go on vacation is a theme park, and everything is safe and controlled. Plus, everyone they meet must be an employee, there to make them happy.
I agree with you. I noticed this 25 years ago when we moved from the midwest to the wild open southwest. Some people expect to be protected and free from any sorts of danger, instead of respecting nature and being responsible and cautious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 AM

537 posts, read 729,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
The book is called Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon by Ghiglieri & Myers and it's a fascinating book.

I noticed a lot of the themes in this book were the disorientation brought on by the views. People think that side of the canyon is "just over there" when just over there is actually 3-5 miles in a how many hundred foot decline, a long walk, and then an incline, in extreme temps.
I was wondering what the name was. Thank you 3DogNight.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:19 AM

4,969 posts, read 5,225,119 times
It's probably higher than average right now because of Spring Break. We saw so many people doing stupid, dangerous things at both the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, that I'm more surprised the weekly death toll average isn't higher.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,780,083 times
It’s not the depth of the Grand Canyon that kills people who fall off the edge; it’s the sudden stop at the bottom.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:17 AM

12,643 posts, read 8,862,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For the last several years we've been taking road trips and visiting the National Parks. We are repeatedly seeing people practicing dangerous and destructive behavior all around us. We're old enough to get in free so it goes without saying that we have noticed a marked change from the more safety-oriented behavior of decades ago.

Only last summer in Yellowstone we saw many people getting out of their cars to approach a bear for pictures and a woman walking through a sulfur spring with her dog in tow. In both cases these people were within steps of signs warning about the behavior they were doing.

I can only wonder if human beings are losing their sense of self-preservation. Seems everyone's an exception to the rules these days.

Perhaps younger people have been lulled into a false sense of security in the wild by their disconnection from the natural world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree with you. I noticed this 25 years ago when we moved from the midwest to the wild open southwest. Some people expect to be protected and free from any sorts of danger, instead of respecting nature and being responsible and cautious.
I think it's a bit of combination of Disneyfication and Cityfication. Too many people in our society are, quite frankly, too stupid to live. Not so long ago most of them would have been eliminated early on. But our modern society has so many protections and safety nets built in. Everything from heat and light to services that come running at the slightest need. Leave the city and go out into nature, and suddenly those services that were everywhere are hours away. It get's dark without street lights. Trails are rugged. Wild animals are … wild. And rescue can be hours away, if they even find you at all.

Whatever folks think of the show Northwoods Law, they should watch the episodes on Geraldine Largay. Massive search and they still didn't find her until two years later.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:45 AM

15,226 posts, read 8,835,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For the last several years we've been taking road trips and visiting the National Parks. We are repeatedly seeing people practicing dangerous and destructive behavior all around us. We're old enough to get in free so it goes without saying that we have noticed a marked change from the more safety-oriented behavior of decades ago.

Only last summer in Yellowstone we saw many people getting out of their cars to approach a bear for pictures and a woman walking through a sulfur spring with her dog in tow. In both cases these people were within steps of signs warning about the behavior they were doing.

I can only wonder if human beings are losing their sense of self-preservation. Seems everyone's an exception to the rules these days.

Perhaps younger people have been lulled into a false sense of security in the wild by their disconnection from the natural world.
I have seen many people get up close and personal with bears. I don't condone it and I don't do it personally. I always watch from a distance. But honestly the people doing it are not as crazy as you might think. Bears are in a lot more danger from people, then people are in danger from bears. 50,000 bears are killed by humans every year. Less than one human is killed by a bear per year. Bears are probably the least dangerous large animals that humans encounter. That said, just respect the animal's personal space.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:58 AM

50,288 posts, read 23,893,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Exactly. Seen it myself, half dozen major parks, across my lifetime: GC, Yellowstone, others. I'm not dead yet either, having a good sense of my own survival.

Hiked down one of the lesser-used trails from South Rim to the Colorado, when I was 20. I believe it was the "New Hance Trail." Damn, that was fun, and pretty tough. Definitely a 20's kind of thing. We were prepared and didn't have much trouble. One water spot was dry, so myself and other guy went on a water run to a place that definitely had water. Damn, that tasted good. We were minor heroes, but again: no one was in real danger.

That was...spring long time ago. Wow.

Idiots falling into the canyon is just stupid. Accidents from lack of planning, ditto. Accidents of nature, a tragedy. Period.
The son of a mother who taught in my school was a very experienced hiker and often camped out in wilderness areas. And he fell while hiking in the canyon and was not found for several days...and died.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:32 AM

128,293 posts, read 11,839,430 times
Every time we visit a National Park, I see people doing stupid things, all for a photo. If there is a yellow caution tape up, I feel it is there for a reason, yet, many people cross it to get their desired photo for facebook, or whatever, they post on.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:04 PM

11,943 posts, read 8,266,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have seen many people get up close and personal with bears. I don't condone it and I don't do it personally. I always watch from a distance. But honestly the people doing it are not as crazy as you might think. Bears are in a lot more danger from people, then people are in danger from bears. 50,000 bears are killed by humans every year. Less than one human is killed by a bear per year. Bears are probably the least dangerous large animals that humans encounter. That said, just respect the animal's personal space.
I suppose so. But whatever the reason if there are signs saying not to do it that is part of your obligation for entering the park.

I believe this is the generation that wasn't said "No" to often enough. Personal protection and environmental protection are the reasons for the rule and should be considered as such. Both reasons are valid and not illogical.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:13 PM

77,824 posts, read 59,987,722 times
Keep in mind a lot of people going to these parks are:

-old (health issues)
-foreign
-lived their whole lives in urban areas

So, health problems and just having no idea how dangerous some of their actions really are because they have no frame of reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events