U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:04 PM

807 posts, read 1,091,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans88 View Post
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/07/a...ten/index.html

"Only a skull and a pair of trousers remained after a suspected rhino poacher was killed by an elephant and then eaten by lions in Kruger National Park..".

Question: What's the difference between Yale University and Kruger National Park?

Yale University has the historic Skull and Bones Club.

Kruger National Park has the newly formed Skull and Trousers Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 03:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,906,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I sincerely hope that this trend continues. Keep up the good work elephants & lions.
bah, the poachers are just trying to make a living by selling something in demand on the black market. The real villains are the people demanding rhino horns and elephant tusks.

Countries should be fined for importing that and also should have zero tolerance without any loopholes.

mamoth tusks apparently are allowed and it's a loophole that is hard to prove during the import process. I would imagine there is a similiar loophole for rhino horns.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:14 PM

8,331 posts, read 12,251,963 times
One word, Karma.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM

6,076 posts, read 7,083,872 times
Some good news on the international front, for once. Animal karma, yay.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:41 PM

8,235 posts, read 5,569,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
bah, the poachers are just trying to make a living by selling something in demand on the black market. The real villains are the people demanding rhino horns and elephant tusks.

Countries should be fined for importing that and also should have zero tolerance without any loopholes.

mamoth tusks apparently are allowed and it's a loophole that is hard to prove during the import process. I would imagine there is a similiar loophole for rhino horns.
You beat me to it, and well said. Poachers are only half of the problem. It's too bad the elephants and lions can't reach the others involved in the trade.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 PM

13,209 posts, read 6,335,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Considering the recent news from Uganda (see my thread in the 'Africa' section here), I could see this as a new spectator sport to increase tourism. "Poacher tromping."
lol YES

Old 04-07-2019, 05:40 PM

8,871 posts, read 5,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
poor guy..... made a bad choice life in life and died...
As I said in the other thread, play stupid games - win stupid prizes

Old 04-07-2019, 05:40 PM

13,209 posts, read 6,335,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

People 'demand' drugs, it doesn't mean it's ok for drug dealers to kill people to engage in the drug trade. Faulty logic.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 PM

1,298 posts, read 943,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What a strange story!

"An elephant "suddenly" attacked the alleged poacher, killing him, and "his accomplices claimed to have carried his body to the road so that passersby could find it in the morning. They then vanished from the Park," police said."

What did the hunting party do while that elephant was killing their friend? Did they shoot at the elephant, yet miss? All four hunters?!

Did they run away and hide? If so, when and why did the get the courage to return and carry out the body? Why not keep on running to evade the authorities?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Stories like this usually turn out to be fake. Hopefully, this one won't.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:08 PM

146 posts, read 11,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
SOME humans.
I think a matter of degree only. Each of us has the potential to commit the most heinous crimes you can imagine.

For reference, see "Hitler's Willing Executioners; Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust"

I make no claims, but refer you to the book for consideration of a different view point

Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust is a 1996 book by American writer Daniel Goldhagen, in which he argues that the vast majority of ordinary Germans were "willing executioners" in the Holocaust because of a unique and virulent "eliminationist antisemitism" in German political culture which had developed in the preceding centuries. Goldhagen argues that eliminationist antisemitism was the cornerstone of German national identity, was unique to Germany, and because of it ordinary German conscripts killed Jews willingly. Goldhagen asserts that this mentality grew out of medieval attitudes rooted in religion and was later secularized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler...g_Executioners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events