U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 PM

4,133 posts, read 6,676,534 times

Advertisements

KARMA.... but Karma, you forgot the other 4 with that guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM

18,295 posts, read 22,734,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kans88 View Post
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/07/a...ten/index.html

"Only a skull and a pair of trousers remained after a suspected rhino poacher was killed by an elephant and then eaten by lions in Kruger National Park..".
You reap what you sew. No tears from me.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 PM

14,260 posts, read 25,921,908 times
Elephants are more intelligent than a third or more of the humans I deal with on any given day. They know when someone's there to threaten them. Elephant herds actually organize rampages against villages in India and other locations where human development encroaches on their habitats. They know the damage they can do, and will do it when warranted. They know when a human is potentially there for its ivory, and even if that human is there to poach another species, they know they could be the next one hunted.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:03 PM

9,216 posts, read 2,305,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
They find mammoth tusks up in Siberia. I'm sure they could be found in all the polar regions.
Yes, that region would be the right area to find them, although I dont see how its possible to mistake a mammoth tusk for an elephant tusk (or vice versa), mammoths were MUCH larger than elephants, their tusks were massive....and really the value in a mammoth tusk would be more than the ivory content, simply because it is from a mammoth! like dinosaur bones, they are highly prized and valuable, if someone sold a mammoth tusk for the ivory content, they would be taking a big loss.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Status: "What a revoltin' development this is! (William Bendix)" (set 13 days ago)

11,991 posts, read 7,255,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You reap what you sew. No tears from me.
But in the mindset of to many of the "Disney alumnae" at the head of (or just target-marketed by) the animal-rights constituency, the poacher is identified as a "white guy in a pith helmet", with a high-paying job and a willingness to spend a lot of money for other heavy artillery -- all to use on Cecil the Lion; the actual facts are a lot more complicated, and while there are sincere people here willing to deal with them, emotion sells; reason doesn't.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-09-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 04:39 PM

116 posts, read 43,665 times
Poacher: the other white meat.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Status: "What a revoltin' development this is! (William Bendix)" (set 13 days ago)

11,991 posts, read 7,255,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Poacher: the other white meat.
So apparently, you believe that most poachers are white; they are mostly native African, and subsist on a smaller, largely non-cash income that's a fraction of what Westerners earn. Thank you for proving my point as raised in Post #45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Easy, Trick. It was a joke, a spinoff of "Pork: the other white meat"...IMO, poaching is wrong, regardless of who does it, along with those that demand the product of said poacher.

I'm not some stone-age arch-conservative seeking to dismiss all the arguments of the animal-rights advocacy, what I am trying to prove is that the overly-simplistic emotionalism directed at the younger, and less field-wise members of the group does little more than solicit donations -- a large portion of which then go toward operating expenses.

And while appeals for legislation might carry some weight in the world's handful of tested democracies, I doubt they will in China, where the horn of a rhinoceros is still an aphrodisiac in local superstition, or in sub-Saharan Africa, where incomes are low and bribery is still a way of supplementing a meager income.

If you seek a more detailed explanation of why poaching will be so hard to stamp out, you might want to check out the article "Elephamt Killer', in the July/August 2014 issue of Smithsonian magazine.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-09-2019 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 05:26 PM

116 posts, read 43,665 times
Easy, Trick. It was a joke, a spinoff of "Pork: the other white meat"...IMO, poaching is wrong, regardless of who does it, along with those that demand the product of said poacher.
Enjoy your night.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

500 posts, read 121,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kans88 View Post
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/07/a...ten/index.html

"Only a skull and a pair of trousers remained after a suspected rhino poacher was killed by an elephant and then eaten by lions in Kruger National Park..".
Good. I would have loved to watch.

Old Today, 12:30 AM

545 posts, read 187,352 times
I own guns, buy am not a hunter. I would, however, be happy to engage in a ‘poacher hunt’. Of course, I would leave the meat for the wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events