U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 AM
 
19,621 posts, read 16,104,450 times
Reputation: 36921

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Isn't attacking someone disabled considered a hate crime?

If I were the parent of the victim, to say I'd be upset would be an understatement. Instances like this is where vigilante justice should be applied.

I read the median household income there in the 2010 census was around $140k. Sounds like a bunch of privileged kids who need a hard dose of reality.
Things can only be classified as a hate crime’s if the motive was actually his disability. If the motive was money or just not liking this poor young man, that can’t be a hate crime. If they’re going around targeting autistic kids because they hate people with autism, that is a hate crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 AM
 
19,621 posts, read 16,104,450 times
Reputation: 36921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Wow. You sound very tough. They teach you vigilante justice in the Army?
Yeah, that’s pretty messed up. People who fought for American democratic values and laws should actually uphold those values and laws, one would hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Southern California
1,008 posts, read 1,082,322 times
Reputation: 2430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll...es,_California

There is a photo of the Promenade in the link, which was the location of the attack. The news reporters were interested in interviewing the now ex-mayor about the attack his son was involved in but couldn't because Rolling Hills Estates is a gated community.
Rolling Hills Estates is a city of about 8,000. There is not a fence around the entire town. The former Mayor probably lives in a gated community within the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Status: "Smelling graduation in the air" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,263 posts, read 21,720,686 times
Reputation: 23203
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Rolling Hills Estates is a city of about 8,000. There is not a fence around the entire town. The former Mayor probably lives in a gated community within the City.
Rolling Hills Estates is where the attack happened. Rolling Hills is the city Patrick Wilson used to be the mayor of, and is in fact entirely inaccessible to traffic/the unwashed masses. You claim to be from Southern California and you apparently don't know this distinction? I'm sorry that I misspoke by adding 'Estates' but Rolling Hills is in fact entirely walled off.

I didn't realize 'gated community' would be the focus for several posters, and apparently trigger their defenses. This thread is about a brutal, planned beating of a young man with autism, attacked by the privileged son of a former mayor of one of the most expensive places in the US. We aren't talking about a gated community where your neighbor Karen complained to the HOA board about you building a shed that's too close her property line or because you have a trailer parked in your driveway for over 48 hrs. The homes in Rolling Hills are equestrian properties behind a manned guard gate with acres of land that cost millions of dollars.

And while the now ex-mayor did step down, he is still serving as a councilman:

Rolling Hills, CA - Official Website - City Council
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 07:34 AM
 
4,568 posts, read 2,495,064 times
Reputation: 8290
The group should be doing 5 years in jail no probation/early release as violent offenders and have to be registered felons upon release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Southern California
1,008 posts, read 1,082,322 times
Reputation: 2430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Rolling Hills Estates is where the attack happened. Rolling Hills is the city Patrick Wilson used to be the mayor of, and is in fact entirely inaccessible to traffic/the unwashed masses. You claim to be from Southern California and you apparently don't know this distinction? I'm sorry that I misspoke by adding 'Estates' but Rolling Hills is in fact entirely walled off.
You're the one who said Rolling Hills Estates is a gated community. And you followed up by saying you misspoke by adding "Estates" to Rolling Hills. Apparently it is you who doesn't know the distinction.

I merely said RHE is not a gated community, and said nothing about RH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,103 posts, read 3,374,294 times
Reputation: 8490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Things can only be classified as a hate crime’s if the motive was actually his disability. If the motive was money or just not liking this poor young man, that can’t be a hate crime. If they’re going around targeting autistic kids because they hate people with autism, that is a hate crime.

Oh yeah? Well I'd argue that his autism projected his vulnerability to being attacked, similar to when an elderly person is attacked and robbed, not because of age per se. Even in my left-wing, criminal-friendly State, such an attack on an elderly person is raised to the level of a hate crime. It's not necessary for the DA to prove that the perp hated geezers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
 
19,621 posts, read 16,104,450 times
Reputation: 36921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Oh yeah? Well I'd argue that his autism projected his vulnerability to being attacked, similar to when an elderly person is attacked and robbed, not because of age per se. Even in my left-wing, criminal-friendly State, such an attack on an elderly person is raised to the level of a hate crime. It's not necessary for the DA to prove that the perp hated geezers.
Show me a case where the robbing of an elderly person was tried as a hate crime simply because the person was more vulnerable due to being old. That is not how a hate crime is defined. Almost all criminals look for the most vulnerable victims. When it becomes a hate crime is when a person is targeted only for being part of a minority,protected group.

If a gay young man gets beaten because he was alone in a bad part of town in the middle of the night, and the beaters were looking for just anyone to beat and he was the most vulnerable at the time, that is NOT a hate crime. If he gets beaten because a bunch of guys got drunk and said “hey let’s go find some gay guys to beat up and show them they’re not welcome here”, THAT is a hate crime.

It’s a pretty strictly defined law, it’s not really open to interpretation or argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:41 AM
Status: "Smelling graduation in the air" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,263 posts, read 21,720,686 times
Reputation: 23203
Update: the DA isn't pressing any charges, wants 'more evidence' - so apparently being caught red handed and having a recording of the entire beating and forced stripping/public humiliation of a young man with autism isn't enough.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...n-with-autism/

This is how those men who are sociopaths/psychopaths get into high positions where they can continue to exploit, harass, bully, and coerce - he'll be the chip off the old block in no time. Daddy buys the DA, and keeps his guilty hand in the community's cookie jar as a councilman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top