U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM

3,661 posts, read 1,331,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is actually a very smart and easy solution if you live in a single family home. Just get picked up and dropped off at a spot down the street so they don't know where you live.
or call a taxi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:04 PM

24,726 posts, read 23,697,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
or call a taxi
You'd prefer to be robbed by a taxi driver?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,606,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
or call a taxi
Taxi driver would also know your home location and that you are away. Taxi, Uber, whoever....getting picked up at a location other than your house could be a good idea.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:19 AM

55,571 posts, read 54,174,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Taxi driver would also know your home location and that you are away. Taxi, Uber, whoever....getting picked up at a location other than your house could be a good idea.
Have them pick you up in front of the house of the neighbor you don't like. Mention how you always leave your expensive jewelry at home because you don't like to travel with it, and also how you hate banks and keep all your cash hidden throughout your house.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 AM

10,090 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its genius. In a criminally insane way. Still, I'm shocked that we haven't seen more such stories before now.
I've thought of this issue, so I rarely use the same transport company for to/from trips. So if I leave with ABC car service, I'll uber home. If I tell ABC that I am gone from the 1st to the 10th that gives everyone in the office from the info I won't be home. So by going one way with them they have no idea when I am returning.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 AM

6,199 posts, read 4,618,011 times
Kind of reminds me of an Adam-12 episode, except it was a restaurant waiter and parking attendant doing the ripping off. They had the customer's keys and because of reservations, they had their name. The waiter looked up their name in the phone book, got the address and gave it to the parking attendant. They called the number and if nobody answered the parking attendant would burglarize the house. The waiter would give a signal by calling the house to let the parking attendant know when the customer was getting ready to leave.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Kind of reminds me of an Adam-12 episode, except it was a restaurant waiter and parking attendant doing the ripping off. They had the customer's keys and because of reservations, they had their name. The waiter looked up their name in the phone book, got the address and gave it to the parking attendant. They called the number and if nobody answered the parking attendant would burglarize the house. The waiter would give a signal by calling the house to let the parking attendant know when the customer was getting ready to leave.
Adam 12 ?!?!? Now that is an oldie! I think Dragnet was so much cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1pILoNlHnc

Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,485,460 times
Every time I go to the airport via rideshare or a cab, I tell the driver about my unemployed friend who is staying at the house in my absence due to the threat of flooding in my basement and to take care of the cat. The friend has gotten a job but I still pay her to check on my house and feed that cat. Just a safety measure I take.

Of course, if anyone broke into my house, they'd be sorely disappointed. There is literally nothing here of value. I don't spend on fancy electronics or clothes. Everything I spend pretty much goes to maintaining my dogs in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed. LOL

Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 AM

17,066 posts, read 10,046,192 times
Proof that even legit rideshare drivers can't always be trusted.

I've mostly lived in apartment complexes so I have no fears of being picked up in front of the building by an Uber/Lyft driver.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 1,563,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Every time I go to the airport via rideshare or a cab, I tell the driver about my unemployed friend who is staying at the house in my absence due to the threat of flooding in my basement and to take care of the cat. The friend has gotten a job but I still pay her to check on my house and feed that cat. Just a safety measure I take.
I'd "accidentally" drop a statement about "my friend who just got out of 26th and California [a local nickname for the main Cook County jail], crashing at my place until he gets a warehouse job, and I'm one of the few people he respects at this point in his life". ("Respects", rather than "trusts"; the distinction is important.) If prompted "What did he do?", my response would be "Nothing good; I'd rather not talk about it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I've mostly lived in apartment complexes so I have no fears of being picked up in front of the building by an Uber/Lyft driver.
Same with me. Even after I stop renting, I plan to buy a condominium. The relative safety of a large multi-unit building in that sense can't be beat. Ditto for not needing to hold or pick up mail. And when I go out of town, the only people I tell the truth to are family, close friends, and one neighbor I trust.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-14-2019 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or