U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

5,545 posts, read 3,995,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Interesting. Makes me glad I avoid small talk with my Uber driver. I don't want them to know if I'm the homeowner heading to the airport or I'm just a visitor in town. I'll admit it can be hard to avoid, because some drivers can be chatty and inquisitive, but I try to avoid letting them know if my house is empty.
I think the best thing to do if you are using a Uber driver, is to state that your (brother, father, friend, etc... fill in the blank) will be staying at your house to doggie sit while you're gone.

Your doggie is A BIGGASS nasty dog (a Pitbull, doberman, shephard, whatever) and will only let certain people into your house, so that's why you didn't take him to a kennel while you are away on holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

9,167 posts, read 4,312,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'd "accidentally" drop a statement about "my friend who just got out of 26th and California [a local nickname for the main Cook County jail], crashing at my place until he gets a warehouse job, and I'm one of the few people he respects at this point in his life". ("Respects", rather than "trusts"; the distinction is important.) If prompted "What did he do?", my response would be "Nothing good; I'd rather not talk about it."

Anyone of the type to come back and break in would know you are so full of it they would double trash your place and leave a note saying "sorry, didn't get the warehouse job. your 'friend'".

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 321,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If the guy had any brains, he would have had an accomplice.
No. No! NO!

Do not do crime with an accomplice! That just guarantees a witness and they always roll on you.

Work smart. Work solo.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

12,247 posts, read 7,256,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think the best thing to do if you are using a Uber driver, is to state that your (brother, father, friend, etc... fill in the blank) will be staying at your house to doggie sit while you're gone.

Your doggie is A BIGGASS nasty dog (a Pitbull, doberman, shephard, whatever) and will only let certain people into your house, so that's why you didn't take him to a kennel while you are away on holidays.
Or just don't tell a stranger you live alone and are leaving your house completely empty for the next week or so.

I don't even know how this kind of stuff would even come up in conversation.

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

21,948 posts, read 11,298,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I read about this last week, and it doesn't surprise me. For people who live in apartments, it's no risk but if you live in a SFH and get an Uber, the driver knows where you live. If you are going to the airport, they know where you live and that you will be away. The risk of anything happening is low, but it is there. Plus with stories like these coming out, it will give the few nefarious Uber drivers ideas. Taking an Uber to and from a SFH is a minor risk. From apartments, not so much, since they can't identify your individual unit.
Just have him pick you up in front of the jerk neighbor’s house.

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

5,545 posts, read 3,995,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Or just don't tell a stranger you live alone and are leaving your house completely empty for the next week or so.

I don't even know how this kind of stuff would even come up in conversation.
Me neither! I've never used Uber and I could count the taxis I've taken on one hand.

I guess some clients are very chatty and excited to be going on their vacation and give all the details away to the driver. That's just asking for trouble these days.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

12,412 posts, read 8,378,648 times
Burglary in America these days is more organized and this guy thinks he outsmarted people but he doesn't realize that more people have security cameras. You'll get caught soon enough and he won't be able to drive for Uber or Lyft ever again. Now, I don't know if state's life CA would decriminalize burglaries and force companies to hire convicted burglars. But I sure hope they don't because most burglars are catch and release for a few month and let out and usually they become smarter burglars and eventually become credit card scammers. There is no path other than more crime.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

6,795 posts, read 9,073,105 times
Two easy ways to stop this kind of crime. Walk down the street and give a neighbors address or have them meet you at a street corner.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,477,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Anyone of the type to come back and break in would know you are so full of it they would double trash your place and leave a note saying "sorry, didn't get the warehouse job. your 'friend'".
Point taken. Then what do you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Two easy ways to stop this kind of crime. Walk down the street and give a neighbors address or have them meet you at a street corner.
I'm sure that's what I would do if I lived in a single house. Although the safest places are a local police station, a fire station, or a hospital, if you live within walking distance of one.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

76,297 posts, read 68,376,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Taxi driver would also know your home location and that you are away. Taxi, Uber, whoever....getting picked up at a location other than your house could be a good idea.
Right. so how come taxi drivers have never done this? THere's a reason some people prefer taxis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or