Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:12 PM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Here's another one: when you put your US Mail on vacation hold, at least 6 separate human beings see that. Some will sell that information on the black market to people who will indeed target that home for burglary.
Depends. If your mail is delivered to your home, then yes. If you have a rented mailbox with a private company, only a couple of employees may know you're away, and they may not even have your home address.

This reminds me of the advice the Seattle police give out to women regarding their personal checks: never put your home address on a check. Whenever you pay by check at a business, you've handed the staff your address and phone number. Use a rented mailbox address instead; those mailbox businesses have regular street addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 10:19 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,336,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
What could possibly go wrong by getting into a car with strangers?

Taxi cabs and buses are also driven by strangers. Just sayin' ...

Also, just because you're going away doesn't mean your home will be empty. Some people have a friend, relative, or housesitter stay at their place.

It's stupid to get into a taxi/Uber from your own address and blab about your house being empty for awhile.

Last edited by applej3; 04-14-2019 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,780,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. so how come taxi drivers have never done this? THere's a reason some people prefer taxis.
Yeah yeah yeah ...no taxi drivers have EVER done this (that you know of), and ONE Uber driver did this. That makes taxi drivers so much safer....,What great logic

Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. so how come taxi drivers have never done this? THere's a reason some people prefer taxis.
You think taxi cabs are always safe?

No, they're not. They carry cash from fares, Uber doesn't.
With a taxi the rider isn't given license plate #, name & pic of driver, and car description.
It's easy for someone to rob a taxi driver and leave him in a ditch then park at hotel or airport and pick up the next victim. I've seen news reports about such incidents.

And, most taxis reek of BO. eeewww

Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 PM

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think the best thing to do if you are using a Uber driver, is to state that your (brother, father, friend, etc... fill in the blank) will be staying at your house to doggie sit while you're gone.

Your doggie is A BIGGASS nasty dog (a Pitbull, doberman, shephard, whatever) and will only let certain people into your house, so that's why you didn't take him to a kennel while you are away on holidays.
Why even get into such a conversation with an Uber driver or other stranger?

Makes no sense to volunteer such information. And if driver asks nosey questions just don't answer.

Get into Uber or taxi and say:
"I'm going on a trip but my Navy seal bf and his ferocious dog will be staying at my house"
WTF? ROFLMAO! How assinine. Sheesh.

Last edited by applej3; 04-15-2019 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,240,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I read about this last week, and it doesn't surprise me. For people who live in apartments, it's no risk but if you live in a SFH and get an Uber, the driver knows where you live.
This is why we always have our driver pick-up/drop off at the corner of our neighborhood, away from our house.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,491,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
L

Why even get into such a conversation with an Uber driver or other stranger?

Makes no sense to volunteer such information. And if driver asks nosey questions just don't answer.

Get into Uber or taxi and say:
"I'm going on a trip but my Navy seal bf and his ferocious dog will be staying at my house"
WTF? ROFLMAO! How assinine. Sheesh.
Hey, I've never used a uber in my life and I'm not the talkative kind.

Someone else asked why they would offer up the information about going away and I suggested that IF they are the talkative kind, they also include that information about the dog IF they are stupid enough to blab about going away.

Some people are so excited about an upcoming trip that they tell FAR too many details.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Hey, I've never used a uber in my life and I'm not the talkative kind.

Someone else asked why they would offer up the information about going away and I suggested that IF they are the talkative kind, they also include that information about the dog IF they are stupid enough to blab about going away.

Some people are so excited about an upcoming trip that they tell FAR too many details.
Better to suggest they keep their mouth shut.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 AM

19,393 posts, read 12,036,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Taxi cabs and buses are also driven by strangers. Just sayin' ...

Also, just because you're going away doesn't mean your home will be empty. Some people have a friend, relative, or housesitter stay at their place.

It's stupid to get into a taxi/Uber from your own address and blab about your house being empty for awhile.
I don't think they are telling them the house is empty. It's just that burglars tend to be dumb and brazen. They take risks and make assumptions. Sometimes their luck runs out and they don't leave with their loot, they leave on a stretcher with a few holes in them. But they don't assume that will happen.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 AM

9,339 posts, read 6,882,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
What could possibly go wrong by getting into a car with strangers?
What could possibly go wrong by getting into a plane piloted by a stranger
Or leaving your kids at school to be taught by a stranger
Or left alone with a strange priest for extended periods of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events