Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 01:50 PM

447 posts, read 206,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Most Americans are very chatty. Whether it is the grocery clerk or the taxi driver, people like to do small talk.

I actually don't want to talk to the driver. I don't really want to know about your life. Just keep your attention on the road, thank you.
Same here!

Look, if I've been drinking "chat me up." If I'm sober "drive" and leave me to my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 01:54 PM

102,072 posts, read 106,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
What could possibly go wrong by getting into a car with strangers?
These crimes we hear about in connection with Uber drivers (assaults, etc.) never, happened with the taxicab drivers, or extremely rarely. How was that system different? I'm glad that some cities still have cab drivers.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:57 PM

102,072 posts, read 106,933,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe when the Uber comes, you should yell into the open front door within earshot of the driver, "I'll see you next week! Thanks for staying at the house for me. You know where the guns are."
lolol! That's hilarious! But sad, that we need to even think of these things.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:59 PM

26,147 posts, read 21,376,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These crimes we hear about in connection with Uber drivers (assaults, etc.) never, happened with the taxicab drivers, or extremely rarely. How was that system different? I'm glad that some cities still have cab drivers.
Do you know the frequency in which cab drivers commit crimes? What about ride share drivers?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,968,769 times
Quote:
These crimes we hear about in connection with Uber drivers (assaults, etc.) never, happened with the taxicab drivers, or extremely rarely. How was that system different?

Ummmm.... OK.

Are you suggesting cab drivers are of a higher caliber of people than Uber drivers?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM

32,766 posts, read 35,986,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You can be chatty about lots of different things. You don't have to share your vacation plans; heck, fabricate something. You're not in a courthouse; you don't have to tell the full truth. In the past, I talked to my drivers about things like the Cubs (unless I saw a White Sox logo in their car), the kind of night I just had in a bar, or even local history. But unless I'm happy-drunk, I just sit quietly. The most I usually talk is to guide the driver through my apartment complex, since the building numbers are weird there.
Yeah. My son and I once got a ride from a driver who asked if it was OK for him to listen to a baseball game on the radio. Fine. We listened to the game, and son and driver discussed players and stats. That's harmless.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,623,593 times
Same thing happened to a friend who used Uber to travel from Orange County, CA to LAX. He returned to a burglarized house. Now he walks down to the end of the street before calling Uber.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,920,914 times
Quote:
And they're extremely rare with Uber drivers as well. Why else would a home breaking in California be making national news?

Old 04-13-2019, 07:14 PM

10,581 posts, read 5,549,292 times
Here's another one: when you put your US Mail on vacation hold, at least 6 separate human beings see that. Some will sell that information on the black market to people who will indeed target that home for burglary.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,775,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Same thing happened to a friend who used Uber to travel from Orange County, CA to LAX. He returned to a burglarized house. Now he walks down to the end of the street before calling Uber.
This is actually a very smart and easy solution if you live in a single family home. Just get picked up and dropped off at a spot down the street so they don't know where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events