U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 PM

43,721 posts, read 35,137,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Me too Kathryn. I lived there from 1983 through '86 with the Air Force in a small village called Gravenbruch which was around 15 KMs from the base. I loved Germany? What years were you there?
I was in Aschaffenburg from 1990 through 1992! I absolutely love Germany. Now my daughter and her husband are stationed in Stuttgart (he's AF though) and are just now, this week, moving into off base housing - into a house built in 1730!

I can't wait to visit them. I've gone back to Germany to visit several times over the years and I just absolutely love it there. I also have some friends who worked for Bosch and Bosch moved them to Germany near Frankfurt for a complete immersion into the German culture, work ethic, etc. That was an adventure for sure - at least we had some relief in the form of other Americans who spoke English, the PX and commissary, etc. We lived in base housing but it was right in the middle of town, in an unsecured location. Things got interesting during the first Gulf War, that's for sure. We had armed guards patrolling the housing, and riding the school buses with the kids, we had to get out of our car and get it searched every time we went onto a kaserne - it was interesting, but sort of exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Was at Rhein Main Air Force Base from 88-92. Exciting time to be there with the wall falling(and Trabants suddenly flooding the autobahn trying to keep up) and Desert Shield/Storm. It was funny that a history teacher was telling me that we would never see a reunited Germany in our lifetime.
Yep, the wall went down in November I think and my (ex)husband was there for it and we moved there in January so it was all still new and exciting. Very interesting overall and yes, I remember the Trabants! YIKES!

I was the last President of the Officers Wives Club when Aschaffenburg closed down and that was interesting too. OMG the stuff that the military was giving away! We had Crystal Bingo for instance and the tickets were insanely low priced and we were just giving away all the crystal and silver that the OWC had collected over the decades from WW2 through Desert Storm.

It was great to go back not that long ago and see absolutely zero trace that Americans had ever lived in Aschaffenburg. I mean, it was bitter sweet but mostly good because I felt like "Mission accomplished!" They had torn our housing down and built a car dealership.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

495 posts, read 121,256 times
Towards the end of WWII my father was the Dining Hall Supervisor for HQ ETOUSA Officer's Mess located in the IG Farben Bldg in Frankfurt. He used to tell many stories about seeing all the Top Brass (Patton, Bradley, etc).

After the war ended, he was assigned to the Civil Censorship Division, working at the Grand Hotel in Bad Nauheim, the hotel from which Gen. Patton left that fateful day he was involved in the crash which eventually took his life.

Here is a picture my father took of Frankfurt's bombed-out city center looking down the Main river in 1945.
Attached Thumbnails
In Frankfurt, Germany, A Blast From The Past-1945_frankfurt_ruins-3.jpg  

Old Today, 06:20 AM

Wow, Germany has really rebuilt things. I used to live just a few miles down the Main River in Aschaffenburg, which is about 30 miles east of Frankfurt. It was heavily damaged in WW2 also but by the time we lived there in the 1990s, it was completely repaired.

True story: Our housing was former German officer's quarters. There were maid's rooms upstairs in the attic but they were locked and we never went up there. But while we were stationed there, the US bases were being shut down. Somehow ,someone gave me a key and I went into one of the maid's rooms. Wow, it was like a time capsule. I mean it was empty but no one had probably been in there in decades. It had original wallpaper probably dating back to the 1930s or 1940s. Scratched into that wallpaper was a note in German that said "I hate the Americans."

Old Today, 07:06 AM

495 posts, read 121,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, Germany has really rebuilt things. I used to live just a few miles down the Main River in Aschaffenburg, which is about 30 miles east of Frankfurt. It was heavily damaged in WW2 also but by the time we lived there in the 1990s, it was completely repaired.
My mother was born in Offenbach, also on the Main, but closer to Frankfurt than Aschaffenburg.

She told of horrible stories of the Allies bombings (the Brits began to bomb civilian areas in retaliation for The Blitz on London). She said upon hearing the air raid sirens people would go down into their basements. Everyone was terrified huddled together hearing the impacts getting closer and closer. Once the all-clear was sounded they would emerge onto the streets and assess the damage. Due to the incendiaries, the asphalt streets had become molten and people who didn't seek shelter in time got stuck in the tar, burned and melted in place. Those most unfortunate whose houses had been hit directly were trapped in their basements and were roasted alive. She said the bloated bodies were like fat balloons when they were recovered.

During one attack my mother's family house was actually hit by a bomb. It penetrated the roof but failed to detonate, and was removed by the fire brigade. I often think that I would not be here had that bomb not been a dud!

Here is a picture of the damaged house (still there today, of course restored):
Attached Thumbnails
In Frankfurt, Germany, A Blast From The Past-1943_bombed_offenbach.jpg  

Last edited by Rumann Koch; Today at 07:31 AM..

Old Today, 09:07 AM

10,714 posts, read 3,650,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
This happens pretty regularly in Germany.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...any-180957680/

It happens occasionally on London, Paris, and elsewhere, too.

PS - It's Frankfurt, Germany. Frankfort is the capital of Kentucky.

To put the scale of the problem in perspective, there were an estimated 15,000 items, ranging from unexploded bombs to small mortar rounds and grenades,removed from British construction sites between in just two years and every year builders find thousans of devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

Most WW2 bombs stumbled across in the 21st Century are discovered by builders digging foundations.
A guide on dealing with unexploded devices was released by the Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) in 2009.

An estimated 15,000 items, ranging from unexploded bombs to small mortar rounds and grenades, were removed from UK construction sites between 2006 and 2008, the association said.

The CIRIA guide said as well as posing a risk, the discovery of unexploded devices can have "significant implications" for builders, causing delays and an increase in costs.

"In many cases these problems could have been avoided if an appropriate risk management procedure had been carried out at the initial stages of the project," the CIRIA guide said.

How much of a threat are unexploded bombs? - BBC News

Sadly in 2014 a digger operator working on a Construction site in Euskirchen in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany, was killed when a WW2 bomb exploded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

A World War Two bomb has exploded at a construction site near a west German town, killing a man and injuring eight others, police say.

The explosion occurred after a digger accidentally struck the device during excavation work in Euskirchen in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

The machine's operator died on the spot. Two of those hurt were critically wounded, the dpa news agency reports.

Police said the blast impact could be felt a kilometre (0.6miles) away.

The incident took place around 13.30 local time (12.30 GMT) in an industrial park on the edge of town.

The bomb blew up when it was disturbed by the digger, as the machine lifted up earth and debris.

The blast damaged nearby office buildings and cars. Police say the explosion also smashed the windows of some local shops and homes.

WW2 bomb blast kills digger driver in Germany - BBC News

Old Today, 09:10 AM

57,393 posts, read 40,258,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Is it Nam or Korea where even today land mines are a leading cause of death and dismemberment ?

Laos still a large number of unexploded aerial bombs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or