U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
6,018 posts, read 1,688,316 times
Reputation: 8506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
She can Netflix and chill with the kid at home and have a giggle fest all day long.
I agree. Sorry folks, but you don’t get to ruin my movie because your child has special needs.

I was at a movie one time and sat next to a woman (reserved seating) who had a nasty cough. I’m talking peak sickness throat infection loud cough every 2 minutes, it’ complete ruined the movie for me.

This is not like being on a plane where you can just drown out the noise with some headphones, the theater needs to be very quiet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:58 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
35,877 posts, read 2,708,161 times
Reputation: 11667
I was originally sympathetic to the family,but it doesn't look good when they turn down a free private screening, just for the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 PM
 
9,245 posts, read 4,332,570 times
Reputation: 11747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was Dumbo. When I go to kids matinees with our family, all the kids are laughing loudly and carrying on. Kids laugh out loud at kids movies, they yell “Eeewwww” and “yay” when appropriate. Some will cry when their popcorn spills or yell when their older brother digs his hand in someone else’s. That’s the nature of kids, even well-behaved ones. I’ve never been to a kids movie where kids sat ramrod straight and quiet. If they were in an adult movie I’d agree with you, but a Disney movie? C’mon.

Well, you and I weren't there but the people that were there found it disruptive enough to complain about EVEN WITH all that ordinary and expected noise so that really speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 10:18 PM
 
4,196 posts, read 2,463,495 times
Reputation: 3762
Agreed...if your kid can't handle it, get the kid the hell out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 PM
 
9,245 posts, read 4,332,570 times
Reputation: 11747
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
By the time they made that offer they had already been kicked out of the movie the lady had already made two trips up to the balcony to get this her child’s medical supplies. They were in the lobby when the manager (the mom states) started to realize she made a mistake, then started offering things to get them to stay. While they were in the seats, the only thing they were told that they had to leave the theater. Once she already had gathered all the kids things and they were in the lobby on the way out, it was too little too late. She was humiliated and furious. She wasn’t going to carry all her stuff back in and stay for the movie no matter what at that point, and I would feel the same way. People are acting like they were offered all these things while they were still in the theater seats, they were not.

Are you the mom in question? Where are you getting this level of detail and why are you so emotionally vested in arguing on her behalf?


You're taking every word from the mom as absolute gospel truth and presenting it as verified fact. You don't know how he was behaving. You don't know that he was just giggling. You don't know when he was giggling. You don't know what noises otherw were making. You don't know the manager realized he made a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM
 
7,895 posts, read 3,321,940 times
Reputation: 11067
If you are emotional and can’t restrain yourself, watch movies at home. We have enough people causing havoc at theaters. I quit going years ago. Too many rude people out there for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
 
9,187 posts, read 4,625,753 times
Reputation: 31734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
She can Netflix and chill with the kid at home and have a giggle fest all day long.
I missed this earlier and just saw it quoted. I thought I would mention ... the phrase “Netflix and chill” has more meaning than you’re apparently aware of. It carries sexual innuendo, which makes it kind of inappropriate in this instance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix_and_chill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM
 
5,137 posts, read 5,022,358 times
Reputation: 6102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree. He should not be made an outcast, have to be segregated and separated from “normal” people like he’s some kind of freak. That’s an atrocious solution to me for a child whose laugh simply sounds different than other kids. He wasn’t doing any of the sort of things mentioned above, he can’t walk, he can’t talk. He can’t eat. He can giggle when he sees something funny, good for him and more power to him. The heck with those who find his moments of joy obnoxious. I’m glad I don’t share that view, however unpopular mine may be.
I would've taken it and spun it into something else. If the one kid was asking "why" they were leaving so many times, I would have told them that we won a free movie screening that was private.

From another article: "During a conversation with the guest's mother, the manager offered several options, including relocating the family within the auditorium to minimize the disruption, offering a private show for the family, and informing her of AMC's Sensory Friendly Films program, which waives AMC's rules on disruptive behavior during a movie."

"He should not be made to go to sit in a (sensory) movie because he does not laugh like other kids," Daly said.

That's rich. So "other kids" should go to the films that waive disruptive rules but not hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
By the time they made that offer they had already been kicked out of the movie the lady had already made two trips up to the balcony to get this her child’s medical supplies. They were in the lobby when the manager (the mom states) started to realize she made a mistake, then started offering things to get them to stay. While they were in the seats, the only thing they were told that they had to leave the theater. Once she already had gathered all the kids things and they were in the lobby on the way out, it was too little too late. She was humiliated and furious. She wasn’t going to carry all her stuff back in and stay for the movie no matter what at that point, and I would feel the same way. People are acting like they were offered all these things while they were still in the theater seats, they were not.

I can concede that she probably should not have picked Friday. Perhaps Sunday would have been better. However she also said that this is never been an issue before and they had never been told they were disruptive in any other public place. Keep in mind his “disruption” is having a laugh that sounds like a baby crying, not acting out or screaming. I think it was handled horribly by all concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We’re just going to have to agree to disagree about that. She was in tears by that point. They’d missed probably 10 or 15 minutes at least by then, and I don’t think any of them would have been able to enjoy it by that point. And I will never agree a private showing was an appropriate alternative for this family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You’ve never been to a kids movie if you really think little children sit and watch movies quietly. All this child was doing was laughing at funny scenes. His laughter simply sounded like crying. I would wager people complaining actually believed there was a baby crying mistakenly. He will never learn to laugh differently, it’s just how his laugh sounds.
There is a reason most people are disagreeing with you and it is not because most people are cold, cruel people---it is because most people know the mother is only presenting her version of events, which are probably slighted. You are arguing for her like her word is gospel and you know exactly how it went down. Like I stated above, when you are IN IT, like this mother, your tolerance and expectations are different and you don't see what/how other people see. I think it went on much longer and the boy was much louder than she realizes because she's used to it. Because of that, I think they should have warned her first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
 
3,003 posts, read 1,561,191 times
Reputation: 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I would've taken it and spun it into something else. If the one kid was asking "why" they were leaving so many times, I would have told them that we won a free movie screening that was private.

From another article: "During a conversation with the guest's mother, the manager offered several options, including relocating the family within the auditorium to minimize the disruption, offering a private show for the family, and informing her of AMC's Sensory Friendly Films program, which waives AMC's rules on disruptive behavior during a movie."

"He should not be made to go to sit in a (sensory) movie because he does not laugh like other kids," Daly said.

That's rich. So "other kids" should go to the films that waive disruptive rules but not hers.

What's interesting is how another mother handled a similar situation with her child. Instead of just being a "victim" she actually turned her frustration into a positive for so many children and families:


History of Sensory Friendly Films
The concept of Sensory Friendly Films was born in 2007, when Marianne Ross, of Elkridge Maryland took her young daughter, Meaghan, to a matinee (at another theater chain) to see a movie starring one of her most beloved actors. She intentionally picked an early showing figuring there would be fewer people there, but when Meaghan, at that time seven years old, saw her main man on the big screen she began to flap her hands, dance, twirl and jump up and down. Unfortunately a few other movie-goers complained to staff, and the manager asked the Ross’ to leave.

Marianne was frustrated, upset, and a bit angry – Meaghan was so happy and the movie-going experience ended up being so negative. It occurred to her that there were probably a lot of people who found themselves in a similar situation – or worse yet, didn’t even try to go see a movie for fear of the possible outcomes. The next day Marianne called her local AMC Theatre in Columbia Maryland. She asked if Dan Harris, the manager, would be willing to set up a special screening for children on the autism spectrum. Harris, not only took Marianne up on her suggestions, he made some additional adaptations to make the movie even more sensory-friendly. Marianne spread the word about the upcoming screening through her local Autism Society Affiliate and amazingly, 300 people showed up and they had to turn some people away because there was no more room in the movie auditorium.

Sensory Friendly Films - Autism Society


Marianne Ross shows what can happen when you don't let your emotions get the better of you. I have a friend with twins who have special needs -- one is an anxiety issue and one has sensory issues -- and she loves these special screenings. Doesn't see it as "segregating from society" at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
 
12,285 posts, read 7,280,317 times
Reputation: 23001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I missed this earlier and just saw it quoted. I thought I would mention ... the phrase “Netflix and chill” has more meaning than you’re apparently aware of. It carries sexual innuendo, which makes it kind of inappropriate in this instance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix_and_chill
I would hope that you would be able to tell by the context of the post that the poster did not mean anything sexual.

Yes, it can mean hooking up, but it doesn't always.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top