U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,263,358 times

Advertisements

The article said someone complained of a crying baby. If his giggling sounded like crying, the complaint seems valid. Who wants to listen to a crying baby for 20 seconds? It's a reasonably long period of time if it happens repeatedly.

Now, having said that, obviously this wasn't a crying baby. So many variables come into play. Was the complainer an uptight person sitting next to them who was nasty and uncomfortable with a disabled child? Was the complainer all the way on the other side of the theater and the boy's giggles were loud, sounded distressed, and irritating?

I have a disabled son (autism), and I never took him to the theaters as a child for the same reasons Pogue Mahone mentions. We made at-home movie time a fun event and he never missed the theater experience because he never knew what it was. Sometimes you really have to consider other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM

3,607 posts, read 1,873,279 times
The public has special needs too. We need quiet movie theaters. We pay for it. We're entitled to it.

Besides, I don't believe it was only two little giggles. It had to be a lot of disruptions before theater-goers even started to complain. The theater, it seems, did everything possible to appease this woman, but apparently being angry and venting on Facebook held more interest for her.

The good news -- mama claims she won't go to a movie theater again. Hallelujah!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM

16,745 posts, read 16,884,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I suspect it may be a case of mom becoming desensitized to the noises that her son makes, and not realizing how disruptive they are to others who are not accustomed to hearing them.
I agree.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 AM

9,239 posts, read 3,608,399 times
This is a sad situation, but this mother is going to have to get used to this. She seemed truly surprised.

The news video said "several" customers complained.

And she was offered a private showing, which seems to be going above and beyond.

It's not like she was scolded, or ridiculed, it seems like everyone was sensitive.

But no, you don't want to sit through an entire movie with something that sounds like a crying baby the whole time.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 AM

6,434 posts, read 6,707,045 times
"Quiet movie theater?" What's that? Every time I go to the movies these days, I am amazed at how loud the sound system is. It's enough for me to bring earplugs so that my ears aren't ringing by the end of the movie. A giggling kid - even a loudly giggling kid - is barely going to be noticed, especially at a kids' movie.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:16 AM

33,665 posts, read 10,007,009 times
As usual, the mother couldn't wait to post this on social media. Plus, the theater refunded her money and offered a special screening.

Beyond that, I think it's sad. The child was laughing. Isn't that the idea?

And, again, three more people who didn't see Dumbo. Disney must be thrilled.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM

3,607 posts, read 1,873,279 times
With surround sound, dvds and widescreen TVs, why do we need movie theaters?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 PM

15,410 posts, read 17,374,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, M&m, Dumbo is for kids, it would be strange not to have a giggling kid at the show. People are too uptight.
I suspect that the 'giggling' was an understatement. I agree that a kid's movie is going to have a lot more noise from the children than a mainstream film for adults.

I was once in a theater to see a PG-13 (maybe even R-rated) comedy, and a large group of mentally disabled young adults were led in on a group outing. I didn't give it a second thought until about 5 minutes in when several of them started wailing, laughing, crying, it was hard to tell. I thought they would calm down, but it continued and I could barely hear the dialogue. I had to get my money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
With surround sound, dvds and widescreen TVs, why do we need movie theaters?
It is hard to believe someone might like a different experience than you, huh?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM

5,107 posts, read 4,949,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
First instinct is to post it all over social media. I really dislike social media.

Dislike it so much that you have close to 12,000 posts on this site?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:52 PM

11,920 posts, read 9,929,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Dislike it so much that you have close to 12,000 posts on this site?
I donít mind these forums as I have nice discussions with most the folks here. I dislike the other platforms (that Iím not allowed to name here). Those other platforms arenít much about having discussion. This site is not like those others at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or