U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM

20,335 posts, read 16,496,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I agree with all of this- which makes me think it must have been more than just a few laughs. I just cannot see multiple people complaining at a kids movie over a few laughs.
Often kids with special needs canít modulate volume, they squeal and laugh loudly. But they are watching commercials for these movies and want to see them too. I donít think they should have to see every movie at home in a dvd. There are limited outings parents can do with special needs kids, no playgrounds or physical outings, and I think we as a society should be able to accept them loud or not.

In summer mom will have the option of weekday afternoon movies, but special needs kids go to school, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 AM

929 posts, read 1,051,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Often kids with special needs canít modulate volume, they squeal and laugh loudly. But they are watching commercials for these movies and want to see them too. I donít think they should have to see every movie at home in a dvd. There are limited outings parents can do with special needs kids, no playgrounds or physical outings, and I think we as a society should be able to accept them loud or not.

In summer mom will have the option of weekday afternoon movies, but special needs kids go to school, too.
I am a special education teacher who teaches kids with Autism in a self-contained classroom. I have 8 students, all of whom have 1:1 assistants, Iím quite familiar with modulation of voice difficulties these students struggle. Iím also aware of the isolation and stressors these families suffer.

Iíve found 99% of people to be very accommodating in social settings such as these and helpful when they can be. Theyíll let kids go first when theyíre waiting in line and itís obvious theyíre struggling. Iíve seen so much acceptance and inclusion from the community. Thatís why I think there is more to the story than a few laughs.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I am a special education teacher who teaches kids with Autism in a self-contained classroom. I have 8 students, all of whom have 1:1 assistants, I’m quite familiar with modulation of voice difficulties these students struggle. I’m also aware of the isolation and stressors these families suffer.

I’ve found 99% of people to be very accommodating in social settings such as these and helpful when they can be. They’ll let kids go first when they’re waiting in line and it’s obvious they’re struggling. I’ve seen so much acceptance and inclusion from the community. That’s why I think there is more to the story than a few laughs.
It could have been that one person, that 1% who made a complaint, and a young employee who didn’t really know how to deal with it. All it takes is one person, nothing in the story indicates many people complained. In fact it specifically states “somebody” complained “about a crying baby”. He’s not autistic as far as I could tell from the story, he has a form of dwarfism and medical/physical impairments. Mom said it was the first time they’d been asked to leave anywhere.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM

602 posts, read 202,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I have an autistic son and if I tried to take him to the movies I would either have to hold him down the entire time(which would involve a lot of screaming on his part) or deal with him walking around the theater asking everyone what their favorite number is and if they have any brothers or sisters. So I don't take him to the movies, I watch them at home with him. If you have a child who cannot or will not behave in an manner that is appropriate for a certain venue, you do not take that child there. It's common sense.

Some movie theaters have special days set aside for autistic children. I imagine any child with non violent behavioral issues would we welcome on those days. That reminds me I should take my son to one of these events some time.
You have common sense. Too many, with or without kids, do not.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:01 PM

9,678 posts, read 4,922,063 times
Quote:
I am a special education teacher who teaches kids with Autism in a self-contained classroom. I have 8 students, all of whom have 1:1 assistants, I’m quite familiar with modulation of voice difficulties these students struggle. I’m also aware of the isolation and stressors these families suffer.

I’ve found 99% of people to be very accommodating in social settings such as these and helpful when they can be. They’ll let kids go first when they’re waiting in line and it’s obvious they’re struggling. I’ve seen so much acceptance and inclusion from the community. That’s why I think there is more to the story than a few laughs.
I'm extremely accommodating in most circumstances. But when I have spent money to watch a movie, and there is noise preventing me from watching the movie (regardless of the source of the noise), I've basically wasted my money. That's beyond being accommodating, IMO.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 PM

16,337 posts, read 16,457,225 times
Go to one of those theaters that has the sealed-in area for baby-night.

I mean hey, people don't want to hear all that.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Go to one of those theaters that has the sealed-in area for baby-night.

I mean hey, people don't want to hear all that.
Oh my God, it was a kids movie. The whole theater is for kids and babies. Weíve been taking my nieces and nephews to kids movies since they were two. Usually a theater full of kids is very noisy. This was ONE person who complained about ďa crying babyĒ while this child was neither crying nor a baby (nor Autistic as some seem to believe). Isnít it possible this one person is just not a nice person? Isnít is possible she just doesnít want to see disabled people near her? Canít she be wrong, considering no one else complained? You donít go to Disney movies expecting a quiet theater.

The child has a brother who is not disabled who wanted to see this movie. To me the thought of these excited kids being kicked out is heartbreaking and I feel for all concerned. When did people get this mean and narcissistic they canít overlook a disabled child so happy and excited he is giggling loudly at a KIDS movie??? WTH is wrong with us? I feel for this entire sick society, not just this poor family.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 PM

9,916 posts, read 3,950,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh my God, it was a kids movie. The whole theater is for kids and babies. We’ve been taking my nieces and nephews to kids movies since they were two. Usually a theater full of kids is very noisy. This was ONE person who complained about “a crying baby” while this child was neither crying nor a baby (nor Autistic as some seem to believe). Isn’t it possible this one person is just not a nice person? Isn’t is possible she just doesn’t want to see disabled people near her? Can’t she be wrong, considering no one else complained? You don’t go to Disney movies expecting a quiet theater.

The child has a brother who is not disabled who wanted to see this movie. To me the thought of these excited kids being kicked out is heartbreaking and I feel for all concerned. When did people get this mean and narcissistic they can’t overlook a disabled child so happy and excited he is giggling loudly at a KIDS movie??? WTH is wrong with us? I feel for this entire sick society, not just this poor family.
No it wasn't one person. The article states several people complained, and the mother acknowledged the "giggling" sounded like a baby crying.

I think we all can understand not wanting to pay full price for a movie, and sit near a crying baby for the full length feature.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:21 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,682,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No it wasn't one person. The article states several people complained, and the mother acknowledged the "giggling" sounded like a baby crying.

I think we all can understand not wanting to pay full price for a movie, and sit near a crying baby for the full length feature.
Agree in fact they should all be seeking legal action from her (class action) to refund everyone movie ticket due to her giggler ruining the beginning of the movie. That is what is right what is just.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:15 AM

24,793 posts, read 23,736,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Agree in fact they should all be seeking legal action from her (class action) to refund everyone movie ticket due to her giggler ruining the beginning of the movie. That is what is right what is just.
The cat woke me up at 5AM - earlier than I had to be up - and I needed a laugh. Goooood morning C-D!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or