Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

So entitled when they offered her a refund and special screening and she still runs to social media and probably gearing up a lawsuit if she hasn't already. The theater went above and beyond to try and accommodate her and what thanks do they get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I actually have a special needs kid in my immediate family and am around special needs kids\adults a lot.

They range all over the place in terms of noise, capabilities and so forth and as other posters have noticed you can go "nose blind" (or ear blind) to bad public behaviors especially for a momma bear.

With that said, I wouldn't rush to take sides in this one. I will say that the just "giggling" excuse does have me rolling my eyes though.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I will say that the just "giggling" excuse does have me rolling my eyes though.
As did her claim that other patrons had their phones out and were recording the movie.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh my God, it was a kids movie. The whole theater is for kids and babies.
No, the theater is for people who want to watch the movie. It's not exclusively for kids, and it's definitely not a place for babies. If I pay to see a movie at the theater, I want to be able to enjoy the movie. If a kid can't handle seeing a movie in theaters, then they need to stay home and wait for the movie to come on DVD or streaming. No one else thinks your kid talking through the entire movie is cute. It's obnoxious. I didn't pay money to be entertained by your children, I paid to see the movie.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:52 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, the theater is for people who want to watch the movie. It's not exclusively for kids, and it's definitely not a place for babies. If I pay to see a movie at the theater, I want to be able to enjoy the movie. If a kid can't handle seeing a movie in theaters, then they need to stay home and wait for the movie to come on DVD or streaming. No one else thinks your kid talking through the entire movie is cute. It's obnoxious. I didn't pay money to be entertained by your children, I paid to see the movie.
Can’t handle it? He giggled during a funny part during a kids movie. Twice. The nerve of him to have a laugh that doesn’t sound like other kids laughs. How dare he inconvenience everyone by being disabled and sick. Whatever happened to compassions and “there but for the Grace if God...” Again this is a sad sad statement on our selfish and narcissistic society to me.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:07 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
You

Can’t handle it? He giggled during a funny part during a kids movie. Twice. The nerve of him to have a laugh that doesn’t sound like other kids laughs. How dare he inconvenience everyone by being disabled and sick. Whatever happened to compassions and “there but for the Grace if God...†Again this is a sad sad statement on our selfish and narcissistic society to me.

I really only take the mom's side of the story with a grain of salt.

My cousin is severely disabled and I remember one time, she started taking off her clothes in the car when we looked away for like five seconds. Keep in mind she's in her twenties and fulled developed physically in every way. An older gentleman walked by and looked at the car---to me he looked puzzled like, "WTF is going on in that car?" He wasn't staring---more like a, "What is going on in there? Oops, let me turn my head away." My uncle's perception, however, was to automatically label the guy as a pervert and to think this guy was purposely staring into the car, almost as if her behavior wasn't the anomaly and the guy was automatically a creep. He's used to my cousin just randomly ripping off her clothes at the drop of a hat and it doesn't even phase him, IMO, when it should.

Sometimes people perceive things differently, especially if they're in it all of the time. What that mother might perceive as one thing might not be the reality. I don't know. So I am not going to judge society and everyone in that movie theater based off of someone who is slighted and her version of events.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:10 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I really only take the mom's side of the story with a grain of salt.

My cousin is severely disabled and I remember one time, she started taking off her clothes in the car when we looked away for like five seconds. Keep in mind she's in her twenties and fulled developed physically in every way. An older gentleman walked by and looked at the car---to me he looked puzzled like, "WTF is going on in that car?" He wasn't staring---more like a, "What is going on in there? Oops, let me turn my head away." My uncle's perception, however, was to automatically label the guy as a pervert and to think this guy was purposely staring into the car, almost as if her behavior wasn't the anomaly and the guy was automatically a creep. He's used to my cousin just randomly ripping off her clothes at the drop of a hat and it doesn't even phase him, IMO, when it should.

Sometimes people perceive things differently, especially if they're in it all of the time. What that mother might perceive as one thing might not be the reality. I don't know. So I am not going to judge society and everyone in that movie theater based off of someone who is slighted and her version of events.
This is a 3 1/2,year old medically fragile child, feeding tube, wheelchair, etc. they sat high up in the very back of the theater so as to be out of the way of people. It took the Mom two trips to gather all his equipment when they got kicked out. I’m sorry, I think it’s pathetic. This poor mother’s life is consumed by caring for this child. I don’t think people realize how much work it is or how difficult it is to try to live a normal life with a child with such severe medical needs.

There’s nothing to indicate the child was developmentally disabled or had anything wrong with him mentally or had behavioral issues. He probably does not have a fully formed esophagus if he cannot eat, and so sounds come out differently in him. A giggle sounds like a cry. For his six-year-old brother who was dying to see this movie, and who’s needs probably always have to be put aside for his brothers, I feel especially sorry for him. The little one did not really understand what was going on when they were being kicked out, but the six-year-old did and kept asking over and over why do we have to leave why do we have to leave? I feel like the answer is because people are mean and selfish. I find it it just a sad sad situation that was handled very poorly by both patrons and staff.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:37 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
First instinct is to post it all over social media. I really dislike social media.
You realize message boards are also social media right?

Old 04-18-2019, 03:46 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
It was Dumbo. When I go to kids matinees with our family, all the kids are laughing loudly and carrying on. Kids laugh out loud at kids movies, they yell “Eeewwww” and “yay” when appropriate. Some will cry when their popcorn spills or yell when their older brother digs his hand in someone else’s. That’s the nature of kids, even well-behaved ones. I’ve never been to a kids movie where kids sat ramrod straight and quiet. If they were in an adult movie I’d agree with you, but a Disney movie? C’mon.

I guarantee you there were crying kids sitting in theaters watching Bambi in 1942, and kids that screamed when the scarecrow caught on fire in 1936 watching Wizard of Oz.

To me this is like complaining a child was too loud at Chuck E Cheese, ridiculous.
But this is exactly the problem. In public is in public. Chuck E Cheese shouldn't be any different from a nice restaurant. We confuse the hell out of kids when we let them act like animals in one place but expect them to behave in another. Why not just teach your kid to behave in ALL public places? It would be so much easier and so much less confusing to the kid. Plus you'd have a child you could take anywhere, which certainly isn't the case for most parents and kids today.

Kid's don't have to sit ramrod straight at a movie. But they could be sitting there and watching it instead of running around, kicking the backs of seats, and throwing popcorn. Maybe another solution is to start charging double at kids' movies. Maybe if the parents had to actually pay a serious amount of money to go to one of these movies, they'd make sure their kid wanted to really watch it before they shelled out that sort of money.

Quote:
Oh my God, it was a kids movie. The whole theater is for kids and babies. We’ve been taking my nieces and nephews to kids movies since they were two. Usually a theater full of kids is very noisy. This was ONE person who complained about “a crying baby” while this child was neither crying nor a baby (nor Autistic as some seem to believe). Isn’t it possible this one person is just not a nice person? Isn’t is possible she just doesn’t want to see disabled people near her? Can’t she be wrong, considering no one else complained? You don’t go to Disney movies expecting a quiet theater.

The child has a brother who is not disabled who wanted to see this movie. To me the thought of these excited kids being kicked out is heartbreaking and I feel for all concerned. When did people get this mean and narcissistic they can’t overlook a disabled child so happy and excited he is giggling loudly at a KIDS movie??? WTH is wrong with us? I feel for this entire sick society, not just this poor family.
A lot of older people want to see "kid" movies, as well as going to places like Disneyland, etc. Captain Marvel, or whatever it was, is one of those movies and there have been a lot of people in the 20 to 35 age range who went to see it. And a lot of them were unable to enjoy it because of disruptive, screaming kids, even at the late showings.

Maybe what the movie theaters should have is simply an adults only showing one day a week or a policy saying no one under 18 after 10pm. I can't count how many times I've gone to a late night movie only to have it ruined by someone's screaming baby or yelling toddler. Just why? And movie tickets ain't cheap these days, either.

Thing is, if you go to a kid's movie and the kids in there are running around and screaming, that's just proof they're not watching it anyway. So why are they even there? And then there are some kids who are trying to watch the movie. I feel sorry for them - they're sitting there behaving and still can't focus on the movie because of someone else's brats. And yes, that's what those other kids are.

If you can't teach your kid to sit quietly in a seat and watch a movie by the time he's 6 or 7 years old, you have a brat and he doesn't belong in a movie theater or a nice restaurant or any other place in public where people are expected to sit quietly and behave. Obviously, a child having autism is different but when an autistic child is out in public and annoying the people around them, the result is the same.

It doesn't matter to me if the child screaming next to me at a nice restaurant is a baby, a toddler or an autistic child (and yes, I realize that child wasn't autistic - I'm making a general statement). What matters to me is that my night out has been ruined because some parent who knew their child wasn't able to sit quietly in public selfishly chose to ignore that fact and forced their kid on the rest of us anyway.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 04-18-2019 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Reading the social media posts, those who were there stated it went on for MORE THAN AN HOUR. I'm thinking not continuously, but enough where enough was enough of a child who sounded like a crying baby in the theater. For an hour.

The second point that stands out, she is very angry she wasn't given a warning.

Since she would have benefitted from a warning, it leads me to believe she believed she could have stopped him had she only been warned.

And apparently she had made no attempt at all to stop him prior to being asked to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events