U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

3,193 posts, read 1,764,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh my God, it was a kids movie. The whole theater is for kids and babies. We’ve been taking my nieces and nephews to kids movies since they were two. Usually a theater full of kids is very noisy. This was ONE person who complained about “a crying baby” while this child was neither crying nor a baby (nor Autistic as some seem to believe). Isn’t it possible this one person is just not a nice person? Isn’t is possible she just doesn’t want to see disabled people near her? Can’t she be wrong, considering no one else complained? You don’t go to Disney movies expecting a quiet theater.

The child has a brother who is not disabled who wanted to see this movie. To me the thought of these excited kids being kicked out is heartbreaking and I feel for all concerned. When did people get this mean and narcissistic they can’t overlook a disabled child so happy and excited he is giggling loudly at a KIDS movie??? WTH is wrong with us? I feel for this entire sick society, not just this poor family.
Only, it ISN’T a kids movie. And neither was the original Dumbo. It’s a movie for adults that enjoyed the original film either as children or adults, that happens to be also appropriatly themed for children. It’s not like going to see The Wiggles in concert, or a movie about Teletubbies or Yo Gabba Gabba. Disney didn’t spend 170 MILLION DOLLARS on this film to appeal to uncontrollable children in a theater. Lots of adults without children go to see these movies to enjoy them like any other movie, not to have an experience akin to eating your anniversary dinner in the McDonald’s ball pit or Chuck-e-Cheese.

My 79 year old mother went to see Dumbo with my 50 year old sister in law, and they both loved it. As a movie, with other patrons wanting to see it as a movie, not an outlet for socially inappropriate behavior.

It’s not a park.
It’s not the beach.
It’s not the playground.
It’s not a kindergarten birthday party.
It’s not your backyard.

When YOU are buying “society’s” ticket, you can decide what should be an acceptable distraction from the enjoyment that I and everyone else present looks forward to at the theater.

Last edited by rugrats2001; Yesterday at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:22 AM

10,270 posts, read 5,725,598 times
The theater tried to accommodate the mother and kids by suggesting a seat to the side. She refused. I honestly don't know know what more they could have done, they need to protect the rest of the people's ability to watch the movie.

Old Today, 04:51 AM

19,566 posts, read 16,069,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The theater tried to accommodate the mother and kids by suggesting a seat to the side. She refused. I honestly don't know know what more they could have done, they need to protect the rest of the people's ability to watch the movie.
By the time they made that offer they had already been kicked out of the movie the lady had already made two trips up to the balcony to get this her child’s medical supplies. They were in the lobby when the manager (the mom states) started to realize she made a mistake, then started offering things to get them to stay. While they were in the seats, the only thing they were told that they had to leave the theater. Once she already had gathered all the kids things and they were in the lobby on the way out, it was too little too late. She was humiliated and furious. She wasn’t going to carry all her stuff back in and stay for the movie no matter what at that point, and I would feel the same way. People are acting like they were offered all these things while they were still in the theater seats, they were not.

I can concede that she probably should not have picked Friday. Perhaps Sunday would have been better. However she also said that this is never been an issue before and they had never been told they were disruptive in any other public place. Keep in mind his “disruption” is having a laugh that sounds like a baby crying, not acting out or screaming. I think it was handled horribly by all concerned.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Today at 05:16 AM..

Old Today, 05:05 AM

2,998 posts, read 1,557,085 times
Quote:
I disagree. He should not be made an outcast, have to be segregated and separated from “normal” people like he’s some kind of freak. That’s an atrocious solution to me for a child whose laugh simply sounds different than other kids. He wasn’t doing any of the sort of things mentioned above, he can’t walk, he can’t talk. He can’t eat. He can giggle when he sees something funny, good for him and more power to him. The heck with those who find his moments of joy obnoxious. I’m glad I don’t share that view, however unpopular mine may be.
You’re missing the point and looking at it through an adult lens.

First, the family was being asked to leave — there was no negotiating the point. None of what you said, no matter how rational, was going to change that.

So in the end, not only did the kids have to suffer being an “outcast” (I’m not sure at that age they would be thinking with such emotional depth as an adult would —to them it was probably more like “why do we have to leave” rather than humiliation) BUT to add insult they didn’t get to finish the movie they were enjoying.

Imagine being a kid and being excited to go to a movie you wanted to see. Then in the middle you have to leave and you’re not sure why. Thinking as a kid— would it be better to be taken to a different room to watch the movie, or just leave? Mom could have made the excuse to her kids that she requested to switch theaters because she couldn’t hear the movie, or it was too cold, or whatever, and the kids probably wouldn’t know the difference. And they could have continued their night.

The mother was (understandably) unable to see past her emotions to understand that she could have had more time with giggles — and kids going to bed happy instead of a night ending with Mom being noticeably furious and agitated.

There are times to take a stand — and doing so at the expense of a kid’s happiness doesn’t seem like the right time when there was a workable solution.

Old Today, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
You’re missing the point and looking at it through an adult lens.

First, the family was being asked to leave — there was no negotiating the point. None of what you said, no matter how rational, was going to change that.

So in the end, not only did the kids have to suffer being an “outcast” (I’m not sure at that age they would be thinking with such emotional depth as an adult would —to them it was probably more like “why do we have to leave” rather than humiliation) BUT to add insult they didn’t get to finish the movie they were enjoying.

Imagine being a kid and being excited to go to a movie you wanted to see. Then in the middle you have to leave and you’re not sure why. Thinking as a kid— would it be better to be taken to a different room to watch the movie, or just leave? Mom could have made the excuse to her kids that she requested to switch theaters because she couldn’t hear the movie, or it was too cold, or whatever, and the kids probably wouldn’t know the difference. And they could have continued their night.

The mother was (understandably) unable to see past her emotions to understand that she could have had more time with giggles — and kids going to bed happy instead of a night ending with Mom being noticeably furious and agitated.

There are times to take a stand — and doing so at the expense of a kid’s happiness doesn’t seem like the right time when there was a workable solution.
We’re just going to have to agree to disagree about that. She was in tears by that point. They’d missed probably 10 or 15 minutes at least by then, and I don’t think any of them would have been able to enjoy it by that point. And I will never agree a private showing was an appropriate alternative for this family.

Old Today, 07:26 AM

12,274 posts, read 7,271,952 times
Quote:
they sat high up in the very back of the theater so as to be out of the way of people.
A lot of people sit towards the back of the theater though. This was probably part of the problem, she chose to sit close to others. She would have been better off sitting up front.

Typically the only people sitting up front are those with little kids. Towards the back is going to be adults without kids, or adults with older kids who are old enough to behave.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

9,279 posts, read 3,615,603 times
Quote:
By the time they made that offer they had already been kicked out of the movie the lady had already made two trips up to the balcony to get this her child’s medical supplies. They were in the lobby when the manager (the mom states) started to realize she made a mistake, then started offering things to get them to stay. While they were in the seats, the only thing they were told that they had to leave the theater. Once she already had gathered all the kids things and they were in the lobby on the way out, it was too little too late. She was humiliated and furious. She wasn’t going to carry all her stuff back in and stay for the movie no matter what at that point, and I would feel the same way. People are acting like they were offered all these things while they were still in the theater seats, they were not.

I can concede that she probably should not have picked Friday. Perhaps Sunday would have been better. However she also said that this is never been an issue before and they had never been told they were disruptive in any other public place. Keep in mind his “disruption” is having a laugh that sounds like a baby crying, not acting out or screaming. I think it was handled horribly by all concerned.
What do you think about the fact that apparently, she did nothing at all to quiet him, even though apparently quieting him would have worked?

(I am inferring this from the fact that she was very upset at not having been warned she was about to be asked to leave,
as if she would have quieted him, had she just any idea at all that customers were becoming very annoyed).

I'm picturing, not without empathy, a mother of a child with a serious disability just enjoying to the full hilt that her 3 year old was getting such pleasure from the movie. And we all get that.

Who else is in that crowded theater? Grandma, with dementia, who very much wanted to see this movie with the family but can't comprehend the sounds of the movie over a baby crying loudly the whole time? A mother, going through a terrible divorce, who just wants some sweet time with her children to take their minds off the pain they're in?

In a crowded theater, with a Disney movie, there are other stories that will be in the audience. It isn't as if this one child is disabled, everyone else in the crowded theater's life is a cake walk.

Old Today, 08:04 AM

10,270 posts, read 5,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
A lot of people sit towards the back of the theater though. This was probably part of the problem, she chose to sit close to others. She would have been better off sitting up front.

Typically the only people sitting up front are those with little kids. Towards the back is going to be adults without kids, or adults with older kids who are old enough to behave.
She said her child's disability prevented him from looking up from the front seats.

I honestly can see both sides to this. I certainly understand why the mother is upset, but again a theater has to accommodate every other customer as well and if there was a complaint they are kind of obligated to respond.

Old Today, 08:23 AM

12,274 posts, read 7,271,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
She said her child's disability prevented him from looking up from the front seats.
The screen would have been in front of him, not up on the ceiling.

If the child's mobility issues prevent him from being able to watch a movie unless seated in a specific seat, it sounds like the movie would be more enjoyable for the kid in the comfort of his own home.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

She chose that spot because she thought it would be out of the way. If they approached and said they had other seats for them can they please switch it might have been fine. But they were approached and told they had to leave immediately. They watched her struggle with his equipment down the stairs, humiliated and heartbroken and in tears, and only when they were out in the lobby again did the manager have second thoughts and start offering alternatives. I wouldn’t have walked back in past those people again either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or