U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:57 AM

78,009 posts, read 69,929,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
In this instance, right in front of the mother? Probably would've happened anyway, the guy was looking for someone to kill that day, not kidnap and run off. No parent can consistently hold their child's hand that tightly (so that a crazy man can't grab their child and yank them away) the entire time they're in public. Can you imagine how long and tightly you'd have to be holding the child's hand? Never dig through your purse, or wipe your nose? One poster advised he had done that for 5 years!

There's no logical way to indicate this was the mother's fault in any respect.
I said I wasn't intending to imply anything about the incident in the OP. The crazy guy, who had a history of violence in that very mall, could have grabbed the child even if held by the mom. I was addressing what sounded like a general belief on the part of some posters, that it's not necessary to walk around, holding a child's hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM

22,767 posts, read 19,207,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When you were in kindergarten? There was always an adult to leash you or hold your hand?
Don't be ridiculous. I said Mom used to leash me when I was a toddler, up until 3 perhaps and she used to hold my hand crossing streets and walking along sidewalks when we were uptown shopping. Before malls and Wally-World killed our Main St. shopping and yes, there was always an adult around me except when I was playing in my room or in a fenced in area in our yard. You better believe she had her eyes on me when I was out there if she wasn't.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:22 PM
gg

17,872 posts, read 18,170,245 times
I hope not, but I wonder if it could be racially motivated? Goodness, it is odd out there these days.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,665,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I hope not, but I wonder if it could be racially motivated? Goodness, it is odd out there these days.
Read the linked article - he was P.O.ed that the women he tried to pick up at the mall had turned him down, and went to the mall with the express purpose of killing someone.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM

78,009 posts, read 69,929,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Most of the danger to children comes from family members and other adults close to them, not strangers.

Source: National Child Kidnapping Facts
We don't know how many of those were kids 6 and under, and what the circumstances were, but that number could probably be reduced (and close calls avoided), if caregivers, including parents, held their kids' hands, when out and about with them. Just because "only" 100 kids get abducted by strangers, doesn't mean caregivers don't need to be cautious.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,665,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just because "only" 100 kids get abducted by strangers, doesn't mean caregivers don't need to be cautious.
There's a real difference between being cautious and being so paranoid that one thinks there's an abductor hiding behind every bush. When I was a kid, my mother was neurotic and when my father was at work would wring her hands in the living room whenever she heard a siren -- my sister and I were not supposed to ride our bikes past the end of our block, and when we did mom freaked out. This had a lasting effect on me: I ended up developing anxiety disorders years later. But as paranoid as mom was -- she didn't lock hands with us every time we were in public. Of course, back then there was no such thing as abduction of children, pedophilia, and child murders. Yeah, right.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:39 PM

9,532 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Just skimming through the posts here without reading too much detail... But... One thing stands out: Are people saying little kids SHOULDN'T be held by the hand in public? I still hold my kids' (9 and 7 year old boys) hands when out in public around crowds -- places like crowded malls, stadiums, busy sidewalks, etc. I thought this was common.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 PM

22,767 posts, read 19,207,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Just skimming through the posts here without reading too much detail... But... One thing stands out: Are people saying little kids SHOULDN'T be held by the hand in public? I still hold my kids' (9 and 7 year old boys) hands when out in public around crowds -- places like crowded malls, stadiums, busy sidewalks, etc. I thought this was common.
Good for you, Arcenal. I thought it was common too but I guess we are wrong. Another example of people being too busy or self-centered to properly raise kids.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:50 PM

2,965 posts, read 1,040,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Good for you, Arcenal. I thought it was common too but I guess we are wrong. Another example of people being too busy or self-centered to properly raise kids.
One can't text and hold the hand of their kids at the same time. Over time evolution will possibly find a way to give us three hands since two are clearly not enough.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 PM

7,210 posts, read 2,856,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
So the mother was "too busy and self-centered" that's why this happened? WTH...Please quote where anyone said a parent should not hold a child's hand? I said it was pathetic to insinuate it was the parent's fault, and that one cannot hold a child's hand every second, very tightly, to keep a crazy full grown man from grabbing him. It is the fault of the man who did this. What's so hard to figure out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events