U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM
 
3,721 posts, read 5,372,409 times
Reputation: 2847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You say that "they can make choices". But who are YOU (or me) to say which choice is "better"??
See where this leads??

I don't care what choices people make, until the choice harms another person. This is one of those cases where the choice he made should lead to never being able to make any choices again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,254 posts, read 3,782,835 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
????


Earlier you said "There should be no jail for him or anyone else." You can't have it both ways.
I said I was being devil's advocate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 PM
 
3,721 posts, read 5,372,409 times
Reputation: 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
On what basis can we say it's "better"? When morality is discarded, their IS no basis. Just "illness" and "wellness"......and if someone doesn't WANT to be "well", that's their choice..............isn't it??

I don't think we need to be that philosophical. Even animals have a survival instinct. I don't want to talk myself into a way that allows sick people to be free to choose to kill. Not being foolish is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 PM
 
Location: NYC
12,459 posts, read 8,402,243 times
Reputation: 13682
In a democracy, bad people exist because the law cannot arrest or institutional anyone until they commit a crime or heinous act. In a socialist country, a person that is a menace to society can be detained for the greater good of society against their will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,254 posts, read 3,782,835 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In a democracy, bad people exist because the law cannot arrest or institutional anyone until they commit a crime or heinous act. In a socialist country, a person that is a menace to society can be detained for the greater good of society against their will.
In theory you are correct. But socialsm is a form of liberalism, of course. And liberalism is exceedingly soft on crime......fetishizing people's rights, excusing people's behaviors, eliminating the concept of "evil". In fact, socialism looks to "knock the privileged down" a notch or two. So if some successful, well-off person gets mugged or assaulted by a disposessed, disadvantaged person......well, there's actually a certain "rightness" about that, even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 08:43 AM
 
19,337 posts, read 10,760,355 times
Reputation: 19304
Years ago, Nebraska had (as many states do) laws that permitted a ruling of "Innocent by reason of insanity." In such cases, the criminal case was closed and the person was turned over to the state medical system.

Then in the early 80s, there was a case of a mother who slaughtered her three daughters and dressed them like venison in her basement.

That woman was ruled "innocent by reason of insanity," the criminal case was closed, and she was placed into the state medical system...

...which less than a year later declared her cured and released her.

That turn of events resulted in the state legislature revising the law (took one work week to pass the law) so that now the ruling will be "guilty but insane." So now, the person remains within the criminal justice system while undergoing mental treatment, and will remain in the criminal justice system even if eventually cured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 09:08 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,511 posts, read 18,971,111 times
Reputation: 20450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Years ago, Nebraska had (as many states do) laws that permitted a ruling of "Innocent by reason of insanity." In such cases, the criminal case was closed and the person was turned over to the state medical system.

Then in the early 80s, there was a case of a mother who slaughtered her three daughters and dressed them like venison in her basement.

That woman was ruled "innocent by reason of insanity," the criminal case was closed, and she was placed into the state medical system...

...which less than a year later declared her cured and released her.

That turn of events resulted in the state legislature revising the law (took one work week to pass the law) so that now the ruling will be "guilty but insane." So now, the person remains within the criminal justice system while undergoing mental treatment, and will remain in the criminal justice system even if eventually cured.
O M G. How terrible. Wtf is wrong with those mental health "experts"? Sure am glad to hear the legislature got on the ball with changing that wording!

This guy should never see the light of day again.

What is an "incel man"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,511 posts, read 18,971,111 times
Reputation: 20450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I started a thread here on the same topic a couple days ago, and it was removed.

Not sure why, just saying prepare for it.
THAT'S why I can't find any of my posts and had reps taken away! I thought I was going bonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,254 posts, read 3,782,835 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Years ago, Nebraska had (as many states do) laws that permitted a ruling of "Innocent by reason of insanity." In such cases, the criminal case was closed and the person was turned over to the state medical system.

Then in the early 80s, there was a case of a mother who slaughtered her three daughters and dressed them like venison in her basement.

That woman was ruled "innocent by reason of insanity," the criminal case was closed, and she was placed into the state medical system...

...which less than a year later declared her cured and released her.

That turn of events resulted in the state legislature revising the law (took one work week to pass the law) so that now the ruling will be "guilty but insane." So now, the person remains within the criminal justice system while undergoing mental treatment, and will remain in the criminal justice system even if eventually cured.
In Canada, giving perpetrators of horrible crimes a little slap on the wrist because they are "mentally ill" is VERY common place.
We are heading that direction here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Location: 60630
12,152 posts, read 17,723,950 times
Reputation: 11552
I hope when he gets locked up he will be murdered in the worst way possible. Make him suffer the way the family and the little boy is suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top