U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,573,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My mother used a leash on me when I was little and I used a leash on my kid when she was little. NBD. Kept us out of harm's way plus helped keeping from getting scraped knees.
Out of the four of us kids, my youngest sister was the only one mom had to put on a leash when we were out walking. She would have been gone like a shot down the street without the leash. The rest of us weren't so "energetic" when we were toddlers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:45 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,088,625 times
Mentally ill or not I would love the opportunity to be alone in a room with this man (Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda) and beat him senseless. Just give me 15 minutes and a baton. That's all I ask.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:28 PM

9,332 posts, read 3,643,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My mother used a leash on me when I was little and I used a leash on my kid when she was little. NBD. Kept us out of harm's way plus helped keeping from getting scraped knees. There was no such thing as a mall when I was little and I don't think we had as many whack jobs when my kid was little, when malls were just starting to be built.

My mother always held my hand when crossing the street or walking the sidewalks. I, again, followed her example. Nothing wrong with that.
When you were in kindergarten? There was always an adult to leash you or hold your hand?

Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 PM

12,154 posts, read 17,735,697 times
Nobody is saying you shouldn't keep an eye on your child in public. But you shouldn't be paranoid about it. When you go to the playground, do you really run around up and down the slide, stairs, monkey bars holding your kids hand the whole time. Or in school, daycare, tball practice, ...what do you do then. At any time a crazy person can come around and kill your child if they wanted to.
That is what so scary. Mom could have held the boys hand and it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe they should have been chained together. ...

Old 04-21-2019, 08:28 PM

9,332 posts, read 3,643,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Out of the four of us kids, my youngest sister was the only one mom had to put on a leash when we were out walking. She would have been gone like a shot down the street without the leash. The rest of us weren't so "energetic" when we were toddlers.
Exactly. Very few kids need to be on leashes, or have their hands held in public.

It seems really disingenuous to suggest that a kindergartner should be held by the hand at the mall, and so, the parent was guilty of negligence when a crazy man grabbed that child and tossed him over the railing.

Let's blame the man who threw the kid over the balcony, and not the mother who wasn't grasping her child elementary school kid needlessly.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Let's blame the man who threw the kid over the balcony, and not the mother who wasn't grasping her child elementary school kid needlessly.
Yep.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

76,561 posts, read 68,568,666 times
Quote:
Exactly. Very few kids need to be on leashes, or have their hands held in public.

It seems really disingenuous to suggest that a kindergartner should be held by the hand at the mall, and so, the parent was guilty of negligence when a crazy man grabbed that child and tossed him over the railing.

I think the bolded is mistaken, as a rule of thumb. Stuff can, and does happen. A friend of my cousin was at the zoo with her 5 or 6-year old, when suddenly the child was gone, nowhere in sight. The mother alerted zoo staff, one or some of whom rushed to the entrance/exit gate, just as a stranger was leaving with the child. Upon questioning the child, the mom determined that the stranger had been following them, and had heard her say the child's name, so the stranger approached the child, addressing her by name, at a moment the mother was distracted. So the child thought it was someone who knew her mom, and felt it was ok to go off with her.

This kind of thing can happen in crowded stores, or anywhere. I wouldn't discourage parents from holding a small child's hand, when out and about. I don't mean to imply anything about the parent in this incident. I'm just saying, I don't think it's over-protective or unnecessary to hold a child's hand in public, generally speaking.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

22,530 posts, read 18,983,758 times
Quote:
When you were in kindergarten? There was always an adult to leash you or hold your hand?
I never went to kindergarten.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

6,870 posts, read 2,716,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the bolded is mistaken, as a rule of thumb. Stuff can, and does happen. A friend of my cousin was at the zoo with her 5 or 6-year old, when suddenly the child was gone, nowhere in sight. The mother alerted zoo staff, one or some of whom rushed to the entrance/exit gate, just as a stranger was leaving with the child. Upon questioning the child, the mom determined that the stranger had been following them, and had heard her say the child's name, so the stranger approached the child, addressing her by name, at a moment the mother was distracted. So the child thought it was someone who knew her mom, and felt it was ok to go off with her.

This kind of thing can happen in crowded stores, or anywhere. I wouldn't discourage parents from holding a small child's hand, when out and about. I don't mean to imply anything about the parent in this incident. I'm just saying, I don't think it's over-protective or unnecessary to hold a child's hand in public, generally speaking.

In this instance, right in front of the mother? Probably would've happened anyway, the guy was looking for someone to kill that day, not kidnap and run off. No parent can consistently hold their child's hand that tightly (so that a crazy man can't grab their child and yank them away) the entire time they're in public. Can you imagine how long and tightly you'd have to be holding the child's hand? Never dig through your purse, or wipe your nose? One poster advised he had done that for 5 years!

There's no logical way to indicate this was the mother's fault in any respect.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Most of the danger to children comes from family members and other adults close to them, not strangers.

Quote:
Only about 100 children (a fraction of 1%) are kidnapped each year in the stereotypical stranger abductions you hear about in the news.
Source: National Child Kidnapping Facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events