U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:12 AM

9,852 posts, read 4,543,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
OMG The spire has collapsed.
When I saw this I cried because it reminded me of when the World Trade Center collapsed on 9/11. I hope survivors and witnesses to that day aren't having too many issues. It's sad that a cathedral that has stood for hundred of years and went through wars, revolutions and natural disasters has sustained so much damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:51 AM

11,806 posts, read 32,547,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
No surprise that America’s reliable old canard is trotted out, check out Marquis de Lafayette, and the role of the French navy at Yorktown in 1781, bottling up Cornwallis escape route, if not for those guys, you may have been living in a country called Southern Canada today.

Maybe you were watching the wrong Channels, I watched a lot of it on France 24 Channel, they showed a whole slew of fire trucks, and reported that 400 firefighters attended, with one being seriously injured, one slightly, and one cop slightly injured also.

It happens at most national disasters with Heads of State, King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth were often filmed in London during WW2, after the East End had suffered a visit from the Luftwaffe, I guess it’s to say, “we identify with the people, we’re in it together.”

The Brigade des Sapeurs-Pompiers de Paris, (Paris Fire Brigade), is a French army unit which serves as the primary fire and rescue service for Paris, their motto is, “Sauver ou Périr” (Save or perish).
They have the latest in fire fighting equipment, but admittedly not enough for fighting fires in taller buildings.
They have water carrying helicopters, and access to Army helicopters, but the smart money said that dropping water from a great height on to Notre Dame could do more damage than good, as the building might not stand the weight of the water.
Thank you for your post. As an American, I am often embarrassed by the obnoxiousness of my compatriots vis-à-vis their attitude towards other nations and their penchant for viewing events in the rest of the world through an American prism.

Now that we are able to see that most of this magnificent structure is still standing--even much of the interior woodwork--I'm confident that the firefighters knew what they were doing. There were 13,000 trees worth of wood in that medieval building, so it didn't take much for the fire to spread quickly.

Visitors to Paris are drawn to Notre-Dame like a moth to a flame, Catholics and non Christians alike. It is impossible to enter that building without being moved by the faith of those who built it. While most are dazzled by its sheer grandeur, I get emotional at the little things: the intricately carved stone, the delicate woodwork, the tiny shards of colored glass cut to exact precision to fit the smallest windows. I imagine the pride of the hundreds of artists, old and young, male and female, who spent their entire lives contributing their divine gifts for the benefit of generations of pilgrims they would never know and to a church that they never got to see completed.

I know it will be a monumental task to rebuild Notre-Dame de Paris the way it was, but I also know the French. When it comes to historical restoration, they are the best. Since Notre-Dame de Paris is so beloved by so many around the planet, I imagine the world's best craftsmen will eagerly volunteer to recreate what was so tragically lost by yesterday's fire.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old Today, 06:11 AM

4,971 posts, read 3,127,209 times
I read French billionaire Francois Henri Pinault pledged $113 million toward reconstructing the cathedral and fellow billionaire Bernard Arnault and his LVMH group pledged $226 million.

Old Today, 06:34 AM

5,716 posts, read 6,463,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I read French billionaire Francois Henri Pinault pledged $113 million toward reconstructing the cathedral and fellow billionaire Bernard Arnault and his LVMH group pledged $226 million.
A Go Fund Me page was started during the fire. Not sure how legit, but here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/reconstruct...dame-cathedral

Old Today, 06:38 AM

43,678 posts, read 35,099,666 times
Any news on the famous stained glass windows? Also I wonder how many gargoyles survived this? And where is the crown of thorns at this point? I heard it was safe.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

8,940 posts, read 6,154,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
A Go Fund Me page was started during the fire. Not sure how legit, but here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/reconstruct...dame-cathedral
I highly doubt this is legit... $5,000? Really?
Paris does not need $5,000...

Old Today, 06:48 AM

4,971 posts, read 3,127,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I highly doubt this is legit... $5,000? Really?
Paris does not need $5,000...
Agree, while that's a nice gesture of donating $5,000 to the church, it's going to take hundreds of millions to rebuild it and two French billionaires have already pledged a combined $330 million in US dollars. I would assume there was insurance as well, maybe not?

Old Today, 07:00 AM

1,419 posts, read 598,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Thank you for your post. As an American, I am often embarrassed by the obnoxiousness of my compatriots vis-à-vis their attitude towards other nations and their penchant for viewing events in the rest of the world through an American prism.
Thanks for that JMT, having many friends spread out across the U.S. of A., I’m aware that it is only a very small minority of your compatriots that harbo(u)r an irrational dislike of France and the French.
However, being of French extraction, such undeserved insults royally pi$$ me off.

Old Today, 07:03 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,362,268 times
What a heart breaking sight. I'm so glad it wasn't totally destroyed. Notre Dame may not be the same, but it will survive and in many ways be stronger after this. This is Holy Week, and in a strange way this fire now means Notre Dame will become a symbol of resurrection. It faced destruction, but somehow survived; and in particular most of the treasures survived, along with the Rose Window. There will be sermons about what makes up the heart and soul of Notre Dame, drawing parallels to the challenges facing the heart and soul of the catholic religion itself, and to the challenges facing the heart and soul of each one of us.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

11,914 posts, read 9,916,005 times
Nice to see the donations rolling in. I also saw the billionaires doing the donating are already lobbying for it to be a 90% tax write off. Wouldn't this mean the citizens end up paying for the majority of these donations?

Also be careful who you donate to, so many scams out there already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events