U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:20 AM

34,637 posts, read 18,826,834 times

Advertisements

A tragic loss.

But I think its reconstruction will more than likely result in needed improvements, both structurally and aesthetically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:23 AM

3,601 posts, read 1,869,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Visitors to Paris are drawn to Notre-Dame like a moth to a flame, Catholics and non Christians alike. It is impossible to enter that building without being moved by the faith of those who built it. While most are dazzled by its sheer grandeur, I get emotional at the little things: the intricately carved stone, the delicate woodwork, the tiny shards of colored glass cut to exact precision to fit the smallest windows. I imagine the pride of the hundreds of artists, old and young, male and female, who spent their entire lives contributing their divine gifts for the benefit of generations of pilgrims they would never know and to a church that they never got to see completed.
I agree. The news media talks of what's lost in terms of money. For me, money can't replace what's been lost -- the craftsmanship, the intricate woodworking, the pride/skill of the workers throughout the ages, the intricate carvings and stained glass windows created by human hands, not machines.

The ND cathedral, protected throughout the ages, stood tall and unscathed thorough many wars, upheavals and revolutions, yet succumbed to the careless actions of one modern-time construction worker (possibly). Think of the irony there.

If everyone around the world who had the skill, offered a week or two of their services for free, the rebuilding would be most grand.

It's a sad, sad lost all around... and not just in the terms of monetary value.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

50 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Any news on the famous stained glass windows? Also I wonder how many gargoyles survived this? And where is the crown of thorns at this point? I heard it was safe.
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but the windows were actually completely destroyed once before (during the French Revolution). What was there were replacements for the originals put in at a later time. So while it would still be a big loss if they are gone, there is a precedent for replacing them.

The statues of the apostles from atop the spire itself were all saved. They were actually removed a few days ago for cleaning.

I don't know about the relics. I heard no the news people (not sure if they were caretakers or firemen) were scrambling to save what they could before the fire spread. I would hope the relics would be some of the first things removed if possible.

At least one person here said you can't replace 800 years of history, it's gone and it shouldn't be rebuilt. Notre Dame has seen damage and destruction several times in its past. It was pretty much gutted during the French Revolution. It has been rebuilt or fixed several times. Rebuilding it again is repeating part of its history.

In a tragic sort of way, this fire may be what breathes life back into the cathedral. For years the structure had been crumbling and they couldn’t raise the funds to fix it properly. It seemed like no one really knew how bad the building was fairing or people thought someone else would take care of it. This attention and the desire to rebuild this important part of French and European cultural heritage has shined a spotlight on the building.

Old Today, 07:41 AM

22,197 posts, read 23,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I agree. The news media talks of what's lost in terms of money. For me, money can't replace what's been lost -- the craftsmanship, the intricate woodworking, the pride/skill of the workers throughout the ages, the intricate carvings and stained glass windows created by human hands, not machines.
That's something that's amazing about Notre Dame and other buildings like it in the world. Even though it was built as a church, walking into that space is a spiritual experience whether one is religious or not. To think that it had stood there for centuries and was built by hand, by people, at a time when there was no heavy equipment and power tools and mass production. It's a feat of civilization.

Old Today, 08:22 AM

10,212 posts, read 20,978,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Those 14 original stain glass medallions have been there for 800 years, all that and those massive stain glass must havemelted quickly.
Such a shame. Stained glass from way back just can't be duplicated. I love stained glass and hope to eventually own an older piece in my retirement house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Imagine being the poor schlub who started this. "Whoops, I accidentally destroyed one of Western civilization's greatest treasures. My bad."

I'm sure he's saying a lot more then that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That sounds about right, doing construction in the "off hours". It's a horrible event, but I can't imagine if it was an accident caused by a single construction worker, the guy might be on a suicide watch from all the guilt.
I agree. I can't even imagine how bad he feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
A Go Fund Me page was started during the fire. Not sure how legit, but here is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/reconstruct...dame-cathedral
There is no way it's legit. They're asking for $6,000 and are from Texas. Maybe they're going to gift it to them but maybe not. Hopefully Go Fund Me is watching it, I'm sure someone complained about it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Thank you for your post. As an American, I am often embarrassed by the obnoxiousness of my compatriots vis--vis their attitude towards other nations and their penchant for viewing events in the rest of the world through an American prism.

Now that we are able to see that most of this magnificent structure is still standing--even much of the interior woodwork--I'm confident that the firefighters knew what they were doing. There were 13,000 trees worth of wood in that medieval building, so it didn't take much for the fire to spread quickly.

Visitors to Paris are drawn to Notre-Dame like a moth to a flame, Catholics and non Christians alike. It is impossible to enter that building without being moved by the faith of those who built it. While most are dazzled by its sheer grandeur, I get emotional at the little things: the intricately carved stone, the delicate woodwork, the tiny shards of colored glass cut to exact precision to fit the smallest windows. I imagine the pride of the hundreds of artists, old and young, male and female, who spent their entire lives contributing their divine gifts for the benefit of generations of pilgrims they would never know and to a church that they never got to see completed.

I know it will be a monumental task to rebuild Notre-Dame de Paris the way it was, but I also know the French. When it comes to historical restoration, they are the best. Since Notre-Dame de Paris is so beloved by so many around the planet, I imagine the world's best craftsmen will eagerly volunteer to recreate what was so tragically lost by yesterday's fire.
So tragic that such great craftsmenship has been lost.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

14,533 posts, read 11,679,223 times
Wow! They saved all of the art work!!!!

This may seem off topic, but the French Billionaire that is giving $220 million to rebuild...
couldn't he give $120 million and spread out $100 million to the needy in the Name of God?
(I'm sure he has given to the needy before and is a great person.) Just sayin'.
Cuz can't the Church itself employ the workers and give money back to the community buying the materials?

(I'm not Catholic anymore and so have my issues with the RC Church.)

Old Today, 09:27 AM

1,083 posts, read 376,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Thanks for that JMT, having many friends spread out across the U.S. of A., Im aware that it is only a very small minority of your compatriots that harbo(u)r an irrational dislike of France and the French.
However, being of French extraction, such undeserved insults royally pi$$ me off.
I correct them, as gently as possible, whenever I can.
Most of them have never been to France nor witnessed the French passion for quality of life.
.. but I have and I admire it greatly.

Old Today, 09:33 AM

6,877 posts, read 4,237,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This may seem off topic, but the French Billionaire that is giving $220 million to rebuild... couldn't he give $120 million and spread out $100 million to the needy in the Name of God?
It's his money. He can do what he wishes with it

Old Today, 09:42 AM

50 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wow! They saved all of the art work!!!!

This may seem off topic, but the French Billionaire that is giving $220 million to rebuild...
couldn't he give $120 million and spread out $100 million to the needy in the Name of God?
(I'm sure he has given to the needy before and is a great person.) Just sayin'.
Cuz can't the Church itself employ the workers and give money back to the community buying the materials?

(I'm not Catholic anymore and so have my issues with the RC Church.)
I just heard this on the radio too. They saved the artwork, relics, and it appears some (or maybe all) of the stained glass windows also survived. Stayed and stonework all survived too. What was lost was the 19th century spire, the roof, and 19th and 13th century woodwork.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

11,476 posts, read 6,395,891 times
Do the younger generation really care that much about this? They don't seem to appreciate craftsmanship or history. They raze or gut historic homes. They call antiques relics of past and view it as clutter, refuse grandma's armoire which has been in the family for generations. In favor of "modern" design which looks like cheap boxes. Maybe they don't really care much about this building or what it represents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events