U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:33 AM

9,138 posts, read 4,597,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wow! They saved all of the art work!!!!

This may seem off topic, but the French Billionaire that is giving $220 million to rebuild...
couldn't he give $120 million and spread out $100 million to the needy in the Name of God?
(I'm sure he has given to the needy before and is a great person.) Just sayin'.
Cuz can't the Church itself employ the workers and give money back to the community buying the materials?

(I'm not Catholic anymore and so have my issues with the RC Church.)
You have no idea how the donors have given, so it's not your place to question.

Also, it's not on the RC Church to rebuild ... Notre Dame is owned by France, and the French Government is responsible for the rebuild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:33 AM

50 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Do the younger generation really care that much about this? They don't seem to appreciate craftsmanship or history. They raze or gut historic homes. They call antiques relics of past and view it as clutter, refuse grandma's armoire which has been in the family for generations. In favor of "modern" design which looks like cheap boxes. Maybe they don't really care much about this building or what it represents.
I can't speak for a whole generation of people, but my Gen Z daughter was pretty upset over it all. Then again, she and I were both there last summer so she could relate to wonder of the world Notre Dame is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The posts on this thread are what bothers me about people. People will give money for a huge cathedral, but little or nothing to help the poor and needy. Sorry, but people are more important than buildings. The catholic church has the art works to sell and rebuild, but as is typical, they'll drain the money from others.
People can give to both. I currently give to two charities on a regular basis. One helps the the local elderly homeless poor and the other helps poor children overseas by supporting their families so the kids can stay in school and break the cycle of poverty. I just give monthly (like it's a bill). If there is a fund raiser to help rebuild Notre Dame, I will give to it. I don't have to stop giving to my other charities to do so. I will have to cut into some other budget item (probably my movie going budget. I can easily forgot movies for the summer to help rebuild an international treasure).

Old Today, 11:35 AM

14,535 posts, read 11,679,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Cathedral of Notre Dame (the building itself) is owned by the government of France, not the Catholic Church. The church has the right to use the cathedral for religious purposes, but the government is responsible for its renovation and restoration (and some argue that the government was negligent in their protection of such a valuable cultural asset.)
Oh!

Old Today, 11:36 AM

9,138 posts, read 4,597,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It doesn't have to be either/or. People can support cultural institutions and also give to charities that help people.
Exactly. And people need to stop thinking that the Catholic Church will be paying for the rebuild. The cathedral is owned by France. The government will pay for the rebuild. And considering the it is a major tourist destination and economic driver for Paris, it will be money well spent.

Old Today, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's his money. He can do what he wishes with it
No he can't!

Old Today, 11:43 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,127,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
It seems as though the ceiling vaults, which I believe are stone, protected the interior from much of the fire. The collapse of the spire obviously compromised that protection, though.
Yeah, there's a huge new "skylight" directly under where the spire once stood. I read that there aren't any trees in France that are large enough to replace the ancient Beachwood beams, I say how about not using wood in the rebuild, since the attic is hidden and out of view anyways, just use something less flammable/combustible?

Old Today, 11:44 AM

6,927 posts, read 3,931,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
It seems as though the ceiling vaults, which I believe are stone, protected the interior from much of the fire. The collapse of the spire obviously compromised that protection, though.

I didn't watch the news too closely, though; it was too heartbreaking. Can anyone confirm if I'm right, or correct me if I'm wrong?
No, you're correct. The vaults protected much of the structure from direct damage from the flames. And a lot of the more fragile items (paintings, relics, etc.) had either been removed and placed into storage prior to the fire as part of the restoration work, or were hurriedly snatched from the building by the fire crews. So the damage, heartbreaking though it is, isn't as bad as we initially thought.

And now I'm going to stick my neck out and say something unpopular: some buildings (and this is one of them) ARE more important than people. Look at the great pyramids of Giza: how many of their builders can we even name? Their identities were forgotten long ago - but the work of their hands endures and continues to awe us. The same is true of Notre Dame Cathedral. The identities of most of those who actually labored to built it were lost centuries ago, but they achieved their goal. They created a structure of astonishing beauty that spoke to future generations, telling us not only that those people lived, but showing us what was important to them, what they truly valued. It's as much immortality as most of us can ever hope to achieve.

We're individually all dust in the wind, but the greatest of our edifices were meant by their builders to endure long past a single human lifetime. That's why it's so tragic when one is lost. Nothing lasts forever, but some things feel as though they ought to, and it's a crushing blow to our spirits when they don't.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You have no idea how the donors have given,
so it's not your place to question.
Why in such a huff, for Pete's sake?

Actually, it is my place, in 'this place', to feel the freedom to post my opinions,
views and feelings on any topic on this public forum.
If saying a nice thing about a guy, like, 'I'm sure he.... is a great person...' got you riled...
Well, I hope the rest of your day goes better, really.

Old Today, 12:18 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,869,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why in such a huff, for Pete's sake?

Actually, it is my place, in 'this place', to feel the freedom to post my opinions,
views and feelings on any topic on this public forum.
If saying a nice thing about a guy, like, 'I'm sure he.... is a great person...' got you riled...
Well, I hope the rest of your day goes better, really.
He's not "in a huff". He's correcting your ignorance.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

1,503 posts, read 415,011 times
Did Quasimodo get out ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events