U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 PM

10,259 posts, read 21,005,195 times

Advertisements

Notre Dame Fire: France Is Holding an International Competition for Architects to Design the Cathedral's New Spire

Quote:
He said the contest's aim would be to determine “whether it is necessary to rebuild the spire in the exactly same way as it was originally conceived by Viollet-le-Duc or whether it is required, as is often in these cases within the evolution of a [country’s] heritage...to create a new spire, adapted to the techniques and challenges of our times."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM

644 posts, read 191,908 times
Sad.

Just keep the old design. No modern stuff.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 PM

2,268 posts, read 826,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Sad.

Just keep the old design. No modern stuff.
The spire was modern - 19th century. It replaced the original spire, being taller and different in design.

The reality is that the Notre-Dame de Paris that existed before the fire was essentially a work in progress, having been constantly changed and added onto since its completion in the 14th century.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:06 PM

43,757 posts, read 35,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
The spire was modern - 19th century. It replaced the original spire, being taller and different in design.

The reality is that the Notre-Dame de Paris that existed before the fire was essentially a work in progress, having been constantly changed and added onto since its completion in the 14th century.
The spire built in the 19th century matched the style of the cathedral. All I want is for the styles to be congruous, instead of a jarring difference. No point in trying to bring the exterior of Notre Dame into the 21st century though I do think the interior should be updated for safety purposes, keeping as close to the original medieval design as possible.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 3,947,577 times
I can live with a new spire (although I'd prefer one that looks more like what was originally on the building back in the Middle Ages after it was finished). I just hope they're not foolish enough to try to replicate the old wooden roof. Why replace a fire hazard with another fire hazard? The underside of the roof can't be seen, so use high quality stainless steel or other modern construction materials that are essentially invulnerable to fire to support the new roof cladding (which also needs to be made of something other than lead for environmental reasons - aluminum would be my top choice, but cooper would work as well). A properly designed new roof could last for centuries with minimal maintenance; it would be much lighter, stronger, and more weather resistant than the old one as well as safer.

And there's precedent: after the original wood beam/lead tile roof on Chartres Cathedral was destroyed in a fire in 1836, it was replaced by a copper roof supported by iron trusses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartr...nte_de_Fer.jpg The cathedral at Reims got a roof supported by reinforced concrete trusses after its roof was destroyed by a fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims_...echarpente.JPG Both those cathedrals look gorgeous inside and out; it's only the workers who go into the attic spaces that can see the change.

There's a long list of cathedrals which have been destroyed by fire over the centuries. One reason we have so few Medieval buildings around is that most of them burned to the ground long, long ago. By all means we should preserve the exterior and interior appearance of Notre Dame, but there's no good reason to use flammable construction materials in areas like the attic which the public never sees.

Last edited by Aredhel; 04-17-2019 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,975,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

There's a long list of cathedrals which have been destroyed by fire over the centuries. One reason we have so few Medieval building around is that most of them burned to the ground long, long ago. By all means we should preserve the exterior and interior appearance of Notre Dame, but there's no good reason to use flammable construction materials in areas like the attic which the public never sees.

It seems this way to me too. I hope they don't make it all wood again. It was pretty lucky this time that so few people were inside when it started, and that it started up on the roof, so they got out safely.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:30 PM

4,773 posts, read 1,886,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Yeah, personally I think it looks better now, then it did before the fire. Right now it's probably in as close as condition to the original as it has been at anytime since it was built. The fire just destroyed all the superficial addon crap from the 1800s. I think they should just put a new roof on it, clean up the interior damage, and be done with it. But if they are going to rebuild it all, they might as well make it as modern as possible. Because none of that was on the original building anyway.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 PM

13,929 posts, read 44,254,765 times
It seems that a lot of rich people, in France or not, are offering up considerable pledges to finance reconstruction. So the French taxpayer may not be on the hook for much of it.

I am a bit amazed that apparently that wooden roof did not get retrofitted with some sort of sprinkler system, and/or some sort of fire retardant treatment. Perhaps this is a wake-up call to people responsible for other similar old buildings.

The fire was bad enough, but it could have been worse.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 PM

360 posts, read 50,880 times
A new spiral seems fine. I didn't know the old one was nineteenth century, looked fine to me looking up from below

As long as the result doesn't look like the glass disaster outside of the Louvre. There are a great many modern church designs I love.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:50 PM

360 posts, read 50,880 times
As Notre Dame burned, people saw Jesus in the flames (source HuffPost, today 18 April)

Well of course they did. Just as we see bunny rabbits in clouds, or Jesus on a burnt pice of toast. Or indeed believe conspiracy theories and/or aliens.

The effect is dues to the human need for meaning and order. It is hard wired and has(had) a definite survival reason. it's called PAREIDOLIA.

"Pareidolia (/pærɪˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is the tendency to interpret a vague stimulus as something known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music.

Common examples are perceived images of animals, faces, or objects in cloud formations, the Man in the Moon, the Moon rabbit, hidden messages in recorded music played in reverse or at higher- or lower-than-normal speeds, and hearing indistinct voices in random noise such as that produced by air conditioners or fans.[1]

A notable example of pareidolia occurred in 1877, when photos taken through a telescope of the surface of Mars that turned up what looked faintly like straight lines, which were then interpreted by some as canals. It was theorized that the canals were possibly created by sentient beings. This created a sensation. In the next few years better photographic techniques and stronger telescopes were developed and applied, which resulted in new images in which the faint lines disappeared, and the canal theory was debunked as an example of pareidolia.[2][3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events