U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:13 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,982,465 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard about the firefighter who was said to be seriously injured? I haven't heard any more about him since Monday. I hope he is recovering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 PM

4,824 posts, read 1,910,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Has anyone heard about the firefighter who was said to be seriously injured? I haven't heard any more about him since Monday. I hope he is recovering.
Nothing. They haven't even released the firefighters name. Which makes me think they probably won't now.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:04 PM

6,067 posts, read 1,716,627 times
The 1 billion won’t be enough, per usatoday

Quote:
Stephane Bern, who heads heritage renovation programs across France, estimates the cost to completely repair the church will reach $1.13 billion to $2.3 billion.

A spokesman for the cathedral told CBS News that current donations may not cover those costs.

"We don't know if it's enough or not," Andre Finot said, the network reported Saturday. "You can say it's crazy to have a billion euros but we don't know. Maybe the cost is two or three billion."

Old 04-20-2019, 05:42 PM

6,967 posts, read 3,967,739 times
Until the building has been carefully examined by structural engineers, it's not going to be possible to know how much the repairs are going to cost, or how quickly they can be realistically completed. The stone didn't burn, but it may have been damaged and weakened by the heat of the fire. And of course those big holes in the vault have compromised the structural integrity of the vault, but i don't think we know just how badly yet.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:07 PM

19,974 posts, read 13,161,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Until the building has been carefully examined by structural engineers, it's not going to be possible to know how much the repairs are going to cost, or how quickly they can be realistically completed. The stone didn't burn, but it may have been damaged and weakened by the heat of the fire. And of course those big holes in the vault have compromised the structural integrity of the vault, but i don't think we know just how badly yet.

It is safe to say once this restoration/rebuilding project begins it will address *all* issues with Notre-Dame de Paris. The place was and has been in need of major work for decades, some of which had begun already. But finding funding for all that needed and should be done was an ongoing effort by French government, but at least things were started.

Whether things will be completed in any of our lifetimes is debatable; but one does feel more than unusually sure once things are done Notre-Dame de Paris will be good to go for another century or centuries.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 AM

10,314 posts, read 21,045,534 times
Someone had brought up that the contract company should be insured. You'd think the insurance will also pay some.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,982,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Nothing. They haven't even released the firefighters name. Which makes me think they probably won't now.

I asked about this on a forum for people in France. Apparently, they announced in a press conference on Wednesday that he was doing well and hadn't been as badly injured as first thought.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM

11,993 posts, read 10,005,546 times
How in the world can 1 place cost billions to fix?

A bit insane.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM

10,314 posts, read 21,045,534 times
Apparently they've found the organ has water damage. The article really doesn't say much.

After The Flames, Notre Dame's Centuries-Old Organ May Never Be The Same Again

Quote:
The current instrument was built by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll during the 19th century, and some pipes, from previous organs, date back centuries. Latry says the organ pipes themselves — some 8,000 of them — were not severely damaged. The main issues may be fixing the water damage to the organ's wind chest from when firefighters put out the blaze.
Notre Dame fire was a warning bell. But will Europe listen?

Quote:
In the wake of the fire last week that gutted Notre Dame, questions are being raised about the state of thousands of other cathedrals, palaces and village spires that have turned France — as well as Italy, Britain and Spain — into open air museums of Western civilization.

Experts say what’s lacking is the constant attention and regular maintenance that could help avoid the need for major restoration work, but that costs money. The problem has been exacerbated by the austerity budgets many European nations adopted after the 2008 financial crisis and during Europe’s subsequent debt crisis.

After austerity cuts, Rykner said, “you need some drastic restorations that either you don’t do, or you do them badly or cheaply. And it can lead to fires.”

Herráez wants officials to shift their focus to prevention instead of only reacting to building disasters.

“Reparation or restoration should be seen as the failure in conservation,” he said. “We would be spending money in maintenance but we will be minimizing potential future damages.”
Notre Dame rector says ‘computer glitch’ likely started cathedral fire

Quote:
On Thursday, Paris police investigators said they think an electrical short-circuit most likely caused the fire.

The Parisien newspaper has reported that investigators are considering whether the fire could be linked to a computer glitch or related to temporary elevators used in the renovation that was underway at the time the cathedral caught fire. Chauvet said there were fire alarms throughout the building, which he described as “well protected.”

Over $1 billion has already poured in from people from all walks of life around the world to restore Notre Dame

Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 AM

76,782 posts, read 68,768,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Someone had brought up that the contract company should be insured. You'd think the insurance will also pay some.
I mentioned that, but I don't know how things work in France. But you'd think they'd be insured.

They haven't figured out the cause of the fire, yet. Some are saying it could have been an electrical short-out from an cable in a temporary elevator the workers had set up. One headline said something about a computer glitch causing the fire, which sounds very odd, but details weren't given. They're investigating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events