U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

8,160 posts, read 8,181,138 times

Advertisements

What a terrible tragedy for France and the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

5,015 posts, read 2,068,267 times
Heartbreaking. Absolutely awful. No words.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,190,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
"People on other boards" are always right, aren't they? WAGs and assumptions foster hate.

I'll wait for the investigation results myself. You bet there will be one even if only to make an insurance company happy!
Agreed. At this point, it's too soon to say for certain what happened.

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

10,633 posts, read 6,304,066 times
I read the fire started at 6 pm Paris time, so it probably was not related to construction or workers.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

9,078 posts, read 6,730,063 times
Saw where the French President arrived on scene.. Which struck me as odd.. Wouldn't it be smarter to stay the hell out of the way and let.. You know.. Professional firefighters do their job?

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

16,591 posts, read 9,658,762 times
Sad, saw the exterior in 2005

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,190,333 times
Watching on CNN. They're saying one of the challenges is that the stone building is acting as an oven.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

1,131 posts, read 995,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Watching on CNN. They're saying one of the challenges is that the stone building is acting as an oven.
Wow, that's horrific!

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

15,405 posts, read 17,363,507 times
As one of the most recognizable symbols of the West and a crowning acheivement of medieval European architecture, this is truly a tragedy, and not just for Westerners. Hopefully it can be saved, at least in part. For what its worth, the spire that collapsed was a 19th century reconstruction of the original from the late 13th century. Regardless, the cathedral would still have immense cultural value even as a ruin.

As for the cause being arson (whatever the motive, terrorism or not), it is plausible, but to make definitive statements at this time is pure nonsense. Hopefully a full, transparent investigation as to the cause, accidental or intentional, will be made.

Even more plausible, however, is that it was an accident. Europe is full of buildings that have succumbed to fires that were entirely accidental.

My condolences to everyone affected.

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

4,970 posts, read 3,127,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's also the absolute wrong timing for a terrorist act too- the fire took hold in the about an hour or so between when the cathedral shut down for general tourism and when it reopened for evening vesper service so only staff were present in the building at the time. A proper terrorist would have picked late morning or early afternoon when there could have been thousands killed in the chaos.
I realize someone mentioned the fire started at 6PM, but things like this have happened a bunch of times, while older buildings are being renovated, obviously not as famous as Notre Dame. If there weren't renovations going on, especially to/near the roof and spire, then maybe I can think of nefarious scenarios, but construction accidents can and do happen a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events