U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

4,970 posts, read 3,127,209 times

Advertisements

All that metal construction scaffolding is holding up quite well, maybe the new rebuilt cathedral can be made out of metal.

I wonder if they pumped water out of the Seine to help put out the fire, it's right there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

9,076 posts, read 6,730,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you don't understand cannot explain.

This isn't some parish church in rural France we're talking about here; but Notre Dame de Paris.

Since Paris is the capital city of France, and it's suburbs (mainly but not exclusively Versailles) are the seat of government again no, it isn't out of place for a president of French republic to show up on the scene flames raging or not. He'd do the same if Versailles, or any other historical or cultural building of importantance to France and French culture were up in flames. No, don't think he'd fire up the presidential jet and zoom down to some church burning in Lyon or some other distant city.

American presidents are different in that one there isn't an official state religion for USA, and to that end no official church. Well suppose you could make a case for the National Cathedral in Washington D.C., but still.

DT is a godless Philistine and wouldn't show up for any house of worship was burning unless it was to get in on ground floor to get at the real estate.

Take church out of the equation. I have no problem with him going to survey the damage or whatever.. But wait until the fire is out or at least totally contained.

In general, don't go in while there's a rescue operation ongoing. In this case, it was rescue of the building.. No problem with it when it's shifted to a recovery operation. That makes total sense and I agree that it might be strange for him NOT to visit the site at that point.

In general, with any disaster, if it's still 'active', such as Katrina.. President may fly over.. The only real exception to this that I can think of is 9/11, where Bush showed up 3 days later on the 14th.. It was still considered an active rescue operation at that point, however.. I believe many people had already shifted to realizing that it was only recovery, unofficially.

He's not out there to fight the fire.. If he's out there to somehow reassure the people.. that's kinda dangerous because he could wind up like Frank Drebin, standing outside a fireworks store that's blowing up saying "Everything's fine.. Nothing to see here.. Move along"

Unless the mayor, governor, senator, representative, president or whatever is a firefighter.. There is no chance of them making things better by showing up. The best outcome that could be hoped for would be no effect. Worst case.. They are in the way or cause issues that interfere with the on site operations.

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

19,837 posts, read 13,040,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Take church out of the equation. I have no problem with him going to survey the damage or whatever.. But wait until the fire is out or at least totally contained.

In general, don't go in while there's a rescue operation ongoing. In this case, it was rescue of the building.. No problem with it when it's shifted to a recovery operation. That makes total sense and I agree that it might be strange for him NOT to visit the site at that point.

In general, with any disaster, if it's still 'active', such as Katrina.. President may fly over.. The only real exception to this that I can think of is 9/11, where Bush showed up 3 days later on the 14th.. It was still considered an active rescue operation at that point, however.. I believe many people had already shifted to realizing that it was only recovery, unofficially.

He's not out there to fight the fire.. If he's out there to somehow reassure the people.. that's kinda dangerous because he could wind up like Frank Drebin, standing outside a fireworks store that's blowing up saying "Everything's fine.. Nothing to see here.. Move along"

Unless the mayor, governor, senator, representative, president or whatever is a firefighter.. There is no chance of them making things better by showing up. The best outcome that could be hoped for would be no effect. Worst case.. They are in the way or cause issues that interfere with the on site operations.
Would you please stop applying your American mindset/values to rest of the world? Can you at least try doing that?

Whether *YOU* think it was appropriate or not the President of France did go to the scene of fire, and apparently thus far you're the only one with a problem. That alone should tell you something.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

6,135 posts, read 1,128,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Has anyone read Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet? It is about the building of the great cathedrals in the 1100s. .
Yes, and I highly recommend it!! (I never thought a book about building a cathedral could be so enthralling!)

I'm an agnostic, but I do hope that Notre Dame can be restored to its original condition as much as possible. I think it would be a great loss for anyone interested in history or architecture if it cannot be.

P.S. The TV miniseries with Eddie Redmayne and Rufus Sewell was also excellent, and it is available on DVD.

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 04:47 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

6,135 posts, read 1,128,077 times
Mods, there is another thread about this in P&OC. Maybe the two threads should be combined?

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

36,518 posts, read 44,734,734 times
No. It can never be rebuilt. What is over, is over. You cannot recreate something that is 800 years old. It’s time was done.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

6,813 posts, read 3,882,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No. It can never be rebuilt. What is over, is over. You cannot recreate something that is 800 years old. It’s time was done.
Plenty were rebuilt post WW2.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,039,008 times
While watching the TV coverage I noticed something and it struck me as odd. There did not seem to be an aerial footage shot from helicopters and that surprised me.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

14,524 posts, read 11,679,223 times
What? The Crown of Thorns was in there? And saved?
I never knew anyone thought they had the real Crown.
I mean it would have Jesus' DNA on it...I wonder why I never heard of it in the news or in Time or whatever?
I'm really outta the loop!

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

19,837 posts, read 13,040,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
While watching the TV coverage I noticed something and it struck me as odd. There did not seem to be an aerial footage shot from helicopters and that surprised me.

Please try to be a bit less American in your thinking.

France isn't the Untied States and their news media (television) not always (if ever) has fleets (or even one) helicopter at their disposal to cover "ground breaking news".

Next, in case you've not been to Paris, France; Notre Dame sits on an island in Paris, a densely populated area and during a major event such as this the last thing anyone needs or wants are various news or other helicopters hovering above the air space.

Finally thanks to modern technology plenty of news media and even regular persons have cameras and can gain vantage points from many of the tall buildings that surround Il de Cite and have clear views of Notre Dame.

Notre Dame's roofs are slanted so you can easily see them and what was happening just by looking up, or across the Seine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mark-live-news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events