U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,351,883 times

Advertisements

Yet another sad and tragic ending to a promising young life and all because of a foolish dare. It seems that every year some tragedy like this happens at some college campus in our nation and yet some kids will never learn before it is too late.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/14/us/fo...all/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

8,957 posts, read 6,160,084 times
I hate to say it, as I am very much part of the generation that embraces social media, but I feel like a lot of these idiotic moves would be avoided if it weren't for those platforms. Sure, teenagers and young adults always did stupid -- and sometimes deadly -- things like this, but given the fact that now, everything MUST be shared online to garner "views" and "likes," I'm sure these are much more common than they were before.
Similar to daredevils snapping pictures/videos of themselves hanging off of skyscraper ledges, climbing construction cranes, etc.

Sad...

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

25,508 posts, read 5,185,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I hate to say it, as I am very much part of the generation that embraces social media, but I feel like a lot of these idiotic moves would be avoided if it weren't for those platforms. Sure, teenagers and young adults always did stupid -- and sometimes deadly -- things like this, but given the fact that now, everything MUST be shared online to garner "views" and "likes," I'm sure these are much more common than they were before.
Similar to daredevils snapping pictures/videos of themselves hanging off of skyscraper ledges, climbing construction cranes, etc.

Sad...

Thinking the exact same thing....

wake up kids, your efforts for a perfect pic can KILL you!

Old Today, 03:13 PM

4,732 posts, read 1,872,481 times
Quote:
Truths of a Forbidden Tower Revealed
March 20, 2013

Tucked inside of a gothic granite building is a doorway. It is usually locked. But once in a while, it is slightly ajar, revealing a steep set of stairs leading to darkness. Do you enter? Is it worth the risk?
This air of mystery surrounding the access to Keating Hall’s clock tower is part of what makes it so alluring for students.
“I think a large part of the reason people want to do this so badly is that the school doesn’t allow it,” Patrick Burke, FCRH ’14, said. “I don’t know if it’s true, but I’ve heard rumors that if you’re caught going up to the tower, you’re expelled. The thrill of danger is definitely a huge allure to going up. I would say the other two reasons for going up are the amazing view of the entire campus from up there and the ability to brag about doing it.”
Regardless of rules and an arduous ascent, climbing to the Keating clock tower tops the bucket list of many Fordham students. While several accounts of the climb rival ghost stories and mysteries, the overall assessment is that the experience is worth the risk.
Truths of a Forbidden Tower Revealed – The Fordham Ram

Old Today, 05:03 PM

8,262 posts, read 5,590,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thinking the exact same thing....

wake up kids, your efforts for a perfect pic can KILL you!
But don't you know, when you're immortal, nothing can harm you. To believe otherwise requires a degree of maturity and common sense that many teens & twenty-somethings just don't have. Unfortunately, some never reach that goal.

Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or