U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM

76,797 posts, read 68,791,859 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know what the mother has to say, at this point, about her (dead) husband's carelessness. At least the child will survive without permanent damage. I hope the mom and child will get some help, and will do ok.

How do you have a permit for concealed carry, without having a holster? We'll never know what he was thinking, and how he decided keeping the gun in the diaper bag was a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM

19,697 posts, read 16,153,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I don't think he qualifies since he already had a child
Most people who love that phrase donít use it correctly nor really understand it, Iíve found.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:15 PM

7,117 posts, read 2,927,679 times
Improper transport and storage often ends badly. I had nothing to do with it.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:13 PM

5,068 posts, read 3,172,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I don't think he qualifies since he already had a child
From the Darwin Awards website:

What if a Darwin Award nominee has reproduced?

Old 04-17-2019, 02:22 PM

3,615 posts, read 3,421,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I mean... If it was loaded, in a diaper bag, and he was reaching for things in there without paying attention, it's not hard to believe that something could have hit the trigger... I'm not sure why there "must be more to the story." Sounds like an accident caused by a VERY stupid decision, and nothing more.
No, it's actually hard to believe that something "pulled" the trigger, and while trigger was pulled, the gun happened to be aimed right at him and his child.

All modern guns have either a safety switch or a safety trigger. If the safety is on, the gun won't fire. If it's a safety trigger, it takes a certain technique to pull the trigger because of a built-in safety lever. Even if the safety was off, the notion that some object got into the trigger guard and was pushed just right against the trigger is a little far fetched.

The only thing that might make sense is if he had a custom hair trigger installed, or was somehow booby-trapped. This is a one-in-a-million kind of accident. Guns don't just randomly go off.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 PM

9,086 posts, read 6,244,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No, it's actually hard to believe that something "pulled" the trigger, and while trigger was pulled, the gun happened to be aimed right at him and his child.

All modern guns have either a safety switch or a safety trigger. If the safety is on, the gun won't fire. If it's a safety trigger, it takes a certain technique to pull the trigger because of a built-in safety lever. Even if the safety was off, the notion that some object got into the trigger guard and was pushed just right against the trigger is a little far fetched.

The only thing that might make sense is if he had a custom hair trigger installed, or was somehow booby-trapped. This is a one-in-a-million kind of accident. Guns don't just randomly go off.
I've known some idiots to "forget" to put the safety on.
I just don't really think it's that far-fetched for something to get wedged in there, and while pulling things around, for the trigger to be "pushed." Diaper bags tend to be full of junk, from toys, to random items.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:51 PM

13,995 posts, read 44,341,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd like to know what the mother has to say, at this point, about her (dead) husband's carelessness. At least the child will survive without permanent damage. I hope the mom and child will get some help, and will do ok.

How do you have a permit for concealed carry, without having a holster? We'll never know what he was thinking, and how he decided keeping the gun in the diaper bag was a good idea.

Well in Washington State, if you have, essentially a clean criminal record, you can get a CCW. As far as I know, you don't have to own a weapon, you don't have to demonstrate that you know what you are doing at all. As far as I know, a blind person could get CCW permit in WA. (SJW's, buzz off. You can no more shoot responsibly if you are blind, than you can drive a car or fly a plane...)

That said, yeah, for any sort of CCW, you do definitely need a specific holster for your gat. Amongst other things.

For an automatic, if for whatever reason you decide to put it in your glove box, in a desk drawer, etc. - your "draw", such as it is, will be slow enough, and the gun has no holster covering the trigger guard, so you might as well leave it in "Condition 3" - rounds in the magazine, but none in the chamber. Certain small Berettas with tip-up barrels can be carried in ersatz carriers with reasonable safety with a round in the chamber but the barrel tipped up. To engage, you just press the barrel down, then fire SA or DA as applicable.

Finally, non-dedicated personnel who won't train enough and can't be bothered to find a proper holster are really better served by a DA revolver. They are harder to get a negligent discharge out of.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM

13,995 posts, read 44,341,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

That's not 100% true. One should not place full faith in a mechanical safety catch. True, they almost always work. But they only have to fail once at the critical time to kill you. The Glock style "safety trigger" really just requires your finger (or something else) on the trigger and a fairly heavy pull or push on that trigger. A Glock in a proper holster will not, almost never, experience a negligent discharge.

One should place full faith in proper gun handling. A diaper bag is not a holster.

Just when you think something is idiot proof, along comes a better idiot.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:57 PM

2,270 posts, read 837,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Have no idea his intention, but many people have a firearm for self defense, so maybe that is why he had it.
And now he's dead.

But then, I'm guessing that ACCIDENTALLY KILLING YOURSELF is a far more likely eventuality than HEROICALLY SAVES LIVES IN A CHUCK E. CHEESE SHOOTOUT!.

Too bad his daughter got shot, and now doesn't have a father.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:46 PM

13,969 posts, read 11,441,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Have no idea his intention, but many people have a firearm for self defense, so maybe that is why he had it.

Probably so. However I will go as far as to say that a handgun carried for defense should be in a secure holster that covers the trigger guard. Not in a purse or a diaperbag. One should know 100% at all times where the trigger index is and if the weapon is buried in your infants possibles that's not happening.

And with the trigger set ups on these newfangled Tupperware pieces with the "safety" actually on the trigger....well...nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events