U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 PM
 
19,898 posts, read 16,245,323 times
Reputation: 37299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
From the Darwin Awards website:

What if a Darwin Award nominee has reproduced?
That is hardly a scientific website. But Darwinism refers to traits that are eliminated many people until totally eliminated, not a few random people. If 95% or 80% of the people who do stupid things survive them, and a only few out of many thousands die, that is not the evolutionary elimination of a “stupid” gene.

Evolution is more efficient than that. If a “stupid” gene were being eliminated, than stupid people would have babies that die at birth or have difficulty getting pregnant or be unable to access resources for their families to survive. It wouldn’t be left for them to all individually decide to surf on a moving train or take a selfie on a cliff edge. The phrase as it’s used on these boards is just a way for people to feel superior, IMO.

Stupid people are not a modern phenomena. 100 years ago people got smashed on the rocks below trying to go over Niagara Falls in barrels...if that were Darwin at work, wouldn’t the gene have been at least rare if not eliminated? It’s not though, I’d wager there are more stupid people today, not less. So how can it be evidence of Darwinism? It’s not.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-17-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
34,472 posts, read 10,172,563 times
Reputation: 32335
How sad--and especially that his baby girl was injured.

BTW, guns don't go off simply because you "come in contact" with them. And despite the clever thread title, the gun didn't just jump out of a diaper bag and shoot someone. This handgun was in battery and ready to fire. He went to Chuck E. Cheese with a loaded gun, and pulled the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,949 posts, read 3,921,629 times
Reputation: 14711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Darwin Award nominee for the third week of April 2019?
You only qualify for the Darwin Award if you have not yet reproduced. So not a candidate in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,994 posts, read 11,478,711 times
Reputation: 12948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
How sad--and especially that his baby girl was injured.

BTW, guns don't go off simply because you "come in contact" with them. And despite the clever thread title, the gun didn't just jump out of a diaper bag and shoot someone. This handgun was in battery and ready to fire. He went to Chuck E. Cheese with a loaded gun, and pulled the trigger.

For all intents and purposes...yes. The Glock style trigger is what I'm about 99.99% certain was at work here. NOT something you want to carry in a cluttered baby bag. The design never made sense to me from a safety standpoint. But I'm old fashioned that way. It's supposed to increase readiness which I suppose it does...to much so..by eliminating an external hammer and safety catch. The "safety" is a lever on the trigger itself. So in a bag with anything that will fit inside the rigger guard it's a negligent discharge waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,506 posts, read 6,961,204 times
Reputation: 7850
I'm not comfortable with external safeties on my handguns. But I am a fanatic about safe handling and my experience is almost exclusively with Glocks and a Smith and Wesson model the safety due to my department's specifications.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 07:14 AM
 
3,162 posts, read 2,177,384 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
For all intents and purposes...yes. The Glock style trigger is what I'm about 99.99% certain was at work here. NOT something you want to carry in a cluttered baby bag. The design never made sense to me from a safety standpoint. But I'm old fashioned that way. It's supposed to increase readiness which I suppose it does...to much so..by eliminating an external hammer and safety catch. The "safety" is a lever on the trigger itself. So in a bag with anything that will fit inside the rigger guard it's a negligent discharge waiting to happen.
As I stated before it was most likely the father may have unloaded it removing the magazine or maybe it was empty and stuck it in the bag thinking it was safe not realizing there was a round in the chamber. He failed to pull the slide back as you should do each and every time you handle any firearm. Diaper bag was a foolish place to store it but I have seen same thing happen while in a case bouncing down a dirt road to go hunting and when they get there find a hole in the tail gate of a truck.

Anyone who has handed firearms for years probably made this mistake, or seen others do it. I have seen it where group of guys go target shooting they are shooting several firearms. They pack firearms in the cases and drive home. When they go to store them they discover the round either by dropping the hammer firing a round into their ceiling, or pull the bolt back round falls out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 AM
 
51,153 posts, read 41,301,863 times
Reputation: 32005
I think it's worth noting that you don't need a license to CC, just to do it legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,994 posts, read 11,478,711 times
Reputation: 12948
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
As I stated before it was most likely the father may have unloaded it removing the magazine or maybe it was empty and stuck it in the bag thinking it was safe not realizing there was a round in the chamber. He failed to pull the slide back as you should do each and every time you handle any firearm. Diaper bag was a foolish place to store it but I have seen same thing happen while in a case bouncing down a dirt road to go hunting and when they get there find a hole in the tail gate of a truck.

Anyone who has handed firearms for years probably made this mistake, or seen others do it. I have seen it where group of guys go target shooting they are shooting several firearms. They pack firearms in the cases and drive home. When they go to store them they discover the round either by dropping the hammer firing a round into their ceiling, or pull the bolt back round falls out.

There was obviously some sort of incorrect procedure are two or three or ten involved besides just the carrying of a firearm in a baby bag most certainly. We won't ever know. At any rate there are some things that are more than just a good idea involved in carrying a firearm for any purpose and these things go triple for carrying defensively.


At this point in my life these things are hard wired but I certainly wasn't born that way. I learned over decades of experience and by having made mistakes myself. Thankfully the mistakes taught lessons without anyone getting hurt. I still firmly believe in a good solid holster that covers the trigger guard for carrying any handgun for any reason.


Decades of competition have driven that home for me. But there is no one piece of equipment that is a substitute for proper procedure following those procedures at all times and exercising good judgement and plain common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,540 posts, read 4,690,236 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No, it's actually hard to believe that something "pulled" the trigger, and while trigger was pulled, the gun happened to be aimed right at him and his child.

All modern guns have either a safety switch or a safety trigger. If the safety is on, the gun won't fire. If it's a safety trigger, it takes a certain technique to pull the trigger because of a built-in safety lever. Even if the safety was off, the notion that some object got into the trigger guard and was pushed just right against the trigger is a little far fetched.

The only thing that might make sense is if he had a custom hair trigger installed, or was somehow booby-trapped. This is a one-in-a-million kind of accident. Guns don't just randomly go off.
Well if the certain technique is putting your finger on the trigger and pulling it, then this is true. I have such a gun. It has a small lever on the front of the trigger and if you put your finger in the trigger guard and pull the trigger, it goes off. Hardly a "certain technique".

It was just a totally inappropriate place and manner to store a loaded gun with no safety on. Guns do not just "go off". This guy inadvertently put his finger in the trigger guard and applied pressure. It either had the safety off, or had one of these trigger safeties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM
 
381 posts, read 62,546 times
Reputation: 475
You can't fix stupid. A gun in a diaper bag, bravo Murica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top