Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I feel for her, as an arachnaphobe.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/woman-...a_2877665.html

Quote:
A woman in New York crashed her car and injured her leg because she saw a spider near her.

The unidentified woman noticed a spider in the driver’s area of the car as she was driving near Cairo, New York on April 10, local police said. She panicked and crashed, resulting in a leg injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Once I was driving down the road and I saw through my rear view mirror wasps flying around my back seat. I pulled over on the shoulder and jumped out slapping my back to make sure none was on me. Other drivers probably thought I was having some kind of fit.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 AM

17,192 posts, read 15,390,629 times
What is it about spiders that scares people so much?

I mean, seriously... They (for the most part) want absolutely nothing to do with you, and will not attack unless actively provoked, unlike bugs such as wasps and the like.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What is it about spiders that scares people so much?

I mean, seriously... They (for the most part) want absolutely nothing to do with you, and will not attack unless actively provoked, unlike bugs such as wasps and the like.
Where'd he get those sunglasses ?
Looks cool.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Not long ago I had to pull over at a rest stop on a long drive because a furry spider about the size of a quarter was exploring my dashboard. In my zeal to set her free, she disappeared down a vent and I gave up and continued on my way. Imagine my shock not too long after when she just appeared dangling from the rear view mirror. People say "oh, it's just a spider," but I still don't want it *on* me, you know?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I went through a period of time when I seemed to attract spiders to land on my shoulders. People would tell me they were there and I would calmly walk outside and brush them off. Then the people would say "how did you do that so calmly??!!" Little did they know I was a wreck on the inside but I pretended to be calm. I did panic when out of the corner of my eye I saw a spider the size of a tarantula on my shoulder. I stopped backing out of the driveway, brushed it off and stomped on it. Later I found out it was just a garden spider and felt really bad. I also found a real tarantula in my bathroom one night and I stomped that too. It explained all the noises I used to hear coming from my closet for 11 years!!!! The kids of the previous owner must have had a pet tarantula and it was loose. I could have thrown it out but there was 2 feet of snow outside and it was snowing again. I just ended its life quickly. I felt bad about that too, it only wanted to get away from me but got trapped in a corner.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times
If the spider was huge then I could see panicking while driving.
I dont understand why a grown person would be so terrified over a tiny harmless insect though.

Now wasps, bees and hornets are a different story.

While I was driving for a living, I was on the way back to the station, driving with the windows open. I look over my shoulder to change lanes and something big and green was on my shoulder. I dont remember exactly what it was, could have been a grasshopper, I was startled because I never saw it coming. In that instance I almost completely panicked and had to manage driving straight while trying to knock it off my shoulder without even assessing what it even was.

Thats not even the same as feeling something crawl on your skin while driving, the tendency is to knock it off before looking for it.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Every once in a while you hear a story like this. The last one I remember was a woman who stopped her car in the middle of a busy freeway, jumped out, and then dragged her young son out with her because there was a bee in the car. They could easily have been killed. None of it makes sense to me. I have zero phobias about insects or any other animals, so maybe that's why I just don't get it. Being stung by a bee hurts, sure, but is a heck of a lot less troublesome than crashing your car. And spiders aren't going to do a thing to you.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Every once in a while you hear a story like this. The last one I remember was a woman who stopped her car in the middle of a busy freeway, jumped out, and then dragged her young son out with her because there was a bee in the car. They could easily have been killed. None of it makes sense to me. I have zero phobias about insects or any other animals, so maybe that's why I just don't get it. Being stung by a bee hurts, sure, but is a heck of a lot less troublesome than crashing your car. And spiders aren't going to do a thing to you.
Same here. I used to collect bugs for various school projects as a kid. They never did anything so I was not fearful of them. We had a girl in our office jump on top of her desk and let out an ear shattering scream when a mouse ran through the area by her desk. She went hysterical and made a scene that frightened everyone. The mouse is nothing compared to say like someone walking through the area with a pistol or assault rifle. I don't get it.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Now a clown would send me screaming . Joking, but it`s crazy the thinks people have a phobia about. Frogs, cotton balls come to mind. You can name anything, and someone is going to have a phobia about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events