U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 337,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
He shouldn’t, because it shames his child all over again.
Yeah, now we all know what a slacker he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 02:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 1,893,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, as per usual post everything on social media first before contacting the people responsible for it. Social media shaming, whatever did people do in the past with no internet?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peti...011213250.html
I know these people think they are doing a great service by signing this petition, but what is the objective really? To make teachers afraid to leave any negative comment on assignments, no matter how poorly the student performs, or the parent will post the comment on FB and the internet will start a petition to get the teacher fired? If this teacher gets reprimanded for that comment, I feel sorry for future student's in her classes.

Congratulations Bobbie, you answered one question out of 50. That is 100% better than the last time when you answered zero. I'm going to give you a big A+ so your daddy doesn't go on Facebook and try to get me fired.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:06 PM

33,817 posts, read 10,046,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I know these people think they are doing a great service by signing this petition, but what is the objective really? To make teachers afraid to leave any negative comment on assignments, no matter how poorly the student performs, or the parent will post the comment on FB and the internet will start a petition to get the teacher fired? If this teacher gets reprimanded for that comment, I feel sorry for future student's in her classes.

Congratulations Bobbie, you answered one question out of 50. That is 100% better than the last time when you answered zero. I'm going to give you a big A+ so your daddy doesn't go on Facebook and try to get me fired.

Rather than carp on FB and embarrass his kid again, if the father had gone to the teacher, the issue could have been resolved, with the teacher acting like a professional by helpfully rating assignments in the future.

If he didn't get any satisfaction there, then he could have brought it to the attention of her superior, and it's at THIS point that I'd hope she WOULD be reprimanded.

No teacher should be using a word like "pathetic" to describe any student's work, much less a that of second-grader.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:54 PM

10,283 posts, read 5,738,743 times
She should be reprimanded for this but fired? No that's over the top IMO.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 PM

8,629 posts, read 2,770,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, you need to be able to make calculations quickly if you are going to advance in math. A second grader who still has to count out on fingers or hashmarks with these kind of equations needs practice in speed.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe his speed is THAT far below expectation, considering how many he got correct, which is the end goal.
In the real world, where correct calculations are essential and even life-threatening at times, if they're in error, no answer is preferable to a wrong one.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 829,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, as per usual post everything on social media first before contacting the people responsible for it. Social media shaming, whatever did people do in the past with no internet?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/peti...011213250.html
You know... what you're doing is social media shaming as well.

You know that... right?

Old 04-21-2019, 01:30 AM

3,860 posts, read 1,580,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We need to make school HARDER, not easier. It's time to stop coddling people, regardless of their age. That only leads to people not putting in the effort it takes to succeed.

And there's nothing wrong with a little shaming. It'll motive the child to preform better.

Your idea is absolutely pathetic. Try again please.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM

3,544 posts, read 3,726,642 times
So the mother has a problem with negative feedback on her son... and posts it for thousands to see?

The annotation is geared at home.
The child's work was deemed "absolutely pathetic" for the day, and the effort wasn't there.

I wasn't there- I don't know what the child is like.
Could have been fidgeting with his head down on the desk half the time.
Could have been playing with clay in his pocket.
Could have been stressed out over the fact he hasn't eaten in a day.
Could be highly sensitive to the feel of the pencil and paper and unable to focus.

I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Up until this point this was a conversation between a parent and a teacher. The parent opted to escalate it to the world.

Should she be unsuccessful in her crusade, she should recognize that her child is going to get secondary treatment- and rightfully so.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 AM

12,297 posts, read 7,291,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Should she be unsuccessful in her crusade, she should recognize that her child is going to get secondary treatment- and rightfully so.
Seriously?

No, the child should not continue to receive abuse from the teacher over this. That would be beyond unprofessional. The parent has every right to voice his concerns about his child's education. You do not call a child's attempt at math sad and pathetic. If the child is struggling, then he needs more help. If it's a focus thing, there are other ways to work with a child that doesn't involve put downs.

Hopefully the child is able to switch to a different classroom and end the year in a better learning environment.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:36 AM

588 posts, read 347,248 times
What we don't know about this is the context.

Suppose the kid was typically a top student and was just refusing to work sometimes because he had a new toy or just wanted to daydream that day. That was me when I was a kid and I was far beyond my classmate's capabilities and clearly underperforming. Often what it took to get me back on track was some kind of abrupt comment to me and my parents like that kid got.

OTOH, when I was a teacher I noticed that there really are teachers that are bullies and those bullies tend to pick on the students who are having problems because the kid is not all that smart. Typically, nor was the teacher all that smart. It's no secret to the other teachers what's going on, but low-key bullies are nearly impossible to get rid of. We've seen that type in middle management as well, and they don't get fired for every off-hand rudeness.

And sometimes an otherwise great teacher just has a bad day and goes too far.
Those are worth saving.

I'm just glad that test wasn't multiple choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or