U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
9,029 posts, read 6,207,403 times
Reputation: 11278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
What we don't know about this is the context.

Suppose the kid was typically a top student and was just refusing to work sometimes because he had a new toy or just wanted to daydream that day. That was me when I was a kid and I was far beyond my classmate's capabilities and clearly underperforming. Often what it took to get me back on track was some kind of abrupt comment to me and my parents like that kid got.
I was like that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2019, 02:16 AM
 
Location: America's Expensive Toilet
1,246 posts, read 776,556 times
Reputation: 2632
The 13 in 3 mins thing sounds like the child didn't care and rushed to turn in the work so they could do something else. IDK if this was timed. If it was timed, that's a lot of pressure to put on a child so early on imo.

Maybe pathetic isn't the nicest of words but I'm not sure the child even know what it means. It was clearly a message to the father that his kid wasn't putting in effort or needs more help with math practice at home.

The dad needs to get off Facebook and help his son with his homework instead of complaining about teacher feedback. The teacher doesn't deserve to be fired over this, reprimanded sure. I'm happy the school isn't just letting the social media mob make the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 04:38 PM
 
3,544 posts, read 3,727,618 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Seriously?

No, the child should not continue to receive abuse from the teacher over this. That would be beyond unprofessional. The parent has every right to voice his concerns about his child's education. You do not call a child's attempt at math sad and pathetic. If the child is struggling, then he needs more help. If it's a focus thing, there are other ways to work with a child that doesn't involve put downs.

Hopefully the child is able to switch to a different classroom and end the year in a better learning environment.
The very objective of the profession is to administer and assess knowledge.
That isn't abuse.

If the child is struggling, and needs more help- who is to say the teacher isn't giving it?
In fact, the note seems to imply a frustration at the EFFORT of the student.
If the child does not make any effort, the teacher has 20 other students she can work with.

At the end of the day, who needs to know the math? The child or the teacher?
Just writing the childs failing grade on the top of the paper would be less controversial, but would it truly change reactions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 PM
 
12,302 posts, read 7,295,128 times
Reputation: 23034
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The very objective of the profession is to administer and assess knowledge.
That isn't abuse.

If the child is struggling, and needs more help- who is to say the teacher isn't giving it?
In fact, the note seems to imply a frustration at the EFFORT of the student.
If the child does not make any effort, the teacher has 20 other students she can work with.

At the end of the day, who needs to know the math? The child or the teacher?
Just writing the childs failing grade on the top of the paper would be less controversial, but would it truly change reactions?
Yes, there is a huge difference between just putting a grade and calling a child's work "sad" and "pathetic".

The amount of problems the kid did in 3 minutes isn't even that bad. But if the teacher really has an issue with how the child is performing, then she should have emailed or called the parents. There is absolutely no reason to shame a child. So many kids already hate math, why make math a negative for this kid too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
41,779 posts, read 40,538,576 times
Reputation: 79950
Well, they did name the boy "Kamdyn."

Plenty of shame to go around in this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 06:48 PM
 
19,641 posts, read 16,111,343 times
Reputation: 36939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I know these people think they are doing a great service by signing this petition, but what is the objective really? To make teachers afraid to leave any negative comment on assignments, no matter how poorly the student performs, or the parent will post the comment on FB and the internet will start a petition to get the teacher fired? If this teacher gets reprimanded for that comment, I feel sorry for future student's in her classes.

Congratulations Bobbie, you answered one question out of 50. That is 100% better than the last time when you answered zero. I'm going to give you a big A+ so your daddy doesn't go on Facebook and try to get me fired.
Not one person suggested he should get an inflated grade. You can give a grade that reflects the work without shaming a 7 year old. Maybe he did his best and struggles in that area. How is it going to help him to use a word like pathetic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2019, 07:02 PM
 
9,357 posts, read 3,656,743 times
Reputation: 23456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I know these people think they are doing a great service by signing this petition, but what is the objective really? To make teachers afraid to leave any negative comment on assignments, no matter how poorly the student performs, or the parent will post the comment on FB and the internet will start a petition to get the teacher fired? If this teacher gets reprimanded for that comment, I feel sorry for future student's in her classes.

Congratulations Bobbie, you answered one question out of 50. That is 100% better than the last time when you answered zero. I'm going to give you a big A+ so your daddy doesn't go on Facebook and try to get me fired.
Can you really not see this? This is a 2nd grader.

Negative comments are absolutely appropriate on school work. "It would be helpful to work with him to increase his speed at solving math problems. He got most of these right, but the goal is to have him complete all the equations on this page in 3 minutes. I'm sending home practice sheets so you can encourage his success".

Can you not see the difference here? Between constructive, vs. calling the little kid pathetic?

Last edited by ClaraC; 04-23-2019 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,798 posts, read 1,895,982 times
Reputation: 6230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not one person suggested he should get an inflated grade. You can give a grade that reflects the work without shaming a 7 year old. Maybe he did his best and struggles in that area. How is it going to help him to use a word like pathetic?
In that case he would get an F for FAILURE. I guess "failure" is so much less shameful than "pathetic", or maybe you would like to eliminate the F grade, so no student ever gets shamed as bring a failure. Maybe a new grading system is in order. How about A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AND AAAAA. So no little snowflake ever has to experience the shame of getting any grade lower than an A.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; Yesterday at 05:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM
 
19,641 posts, read 16,111,343 times
Reputation: 36939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In that case he would get an F for FAILURE. I guess "failure" is so much less shameful than "pathetic", or maybe you would like to eliminate the F grade, so no student ever gets shamed as bring a failure. Maybe a new grading system is in order. How about A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AND AAAAA. So no little snowflake ever has to experience the shame of getting any grade lower than an A.
I think an F would be fine. You truly can’t see the difference between a letter grade and calling his work “pathetic?” What reason is there to write anything behind the letter grade?

As a kid with her own struggles in school as well as low self esteem (which leads to more struggling) I can say this teacher is the pathetic one, this kind of insult does not help kids already struggling. Being tough and insulting 7 year olds does not help kids become better students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,798 posts, read 1,895,982 times
Reputation: 6230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think an F would be fine. You truly can’t see the difference between a letter grade and calling his work “pathetic?” What reason is there to write anything behind the letter grade?

As a kid with her own struggles in school as well as low self esteem (which leads to more struggling) I can say this teacher is the pathetic one, this kind of insult does not help kids already struggling. Being tough and insulting 7 year olds does not help kids become better students.
No I don't see the difference. "Failure" and "pathetic" have about the same feeling to me. In fact, I would say the two words are almost synonymous. At least the teacher cared enough to put a comment on the kid's paper. But I'm sure she has learned her lesson from it. In the future, she will just put an F on the little snowflake's paper, and forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top