U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:06 PM

9,351 posts, read 3,650,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
What? Some of the biggest monsters in history have been educated and persuasive.
I'm talking about the children.

They seem very well-spoken and educated, considering.

I wouldn't say the parents seem as well-spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 PM

8,626 posts, read 2,770,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Stockholm Syndrome. Must be.

Stockholm Syndrome is often diagnosed for victim behaviors that have little similarity to the original incident, that gives it that name. Personally, I'm not convinced that the captives in the bank robbery in Stockholm were truly exhibiting that behavior, but rather may have been cleverly pretending to be sympathetic towards their captors, to preserve their own lives. It's difficult to separate those who genuinely show that syndrome and those who pretend. That the captives continued to show sympathy for the bank robbers after they were released, is in conflict with my interpretation of it, I will admit.

Read the story at this link and see if you can come to any conclusions about it:

https://www.history.com/news/stockholm-syndrome

Old 04-20-2019, 06:27 AM

9,900 posts, read 4,574,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

There are worse things than death. I truly believe that. Living with the emotional harm that an abusive childhood piled on you is worse IMHO. They often develop personality disorders which means they won't have many friends and are unable to sustain romantic relationships. They probably have mood disorders and low self esteem which means they feel like crap every day they're alive. It's an absolutely miserable way to live.

Therapy can help, but often can't erase all of this.

^^This^^ I have suffered with chronic depression most of my life due to things that happened in my childhood and this was 50+ years ago. Some childhood abuse, whether physical, emotional or mental just stays with you forever despite therapy and medication.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:28 AM

11,773 posts, read 3,947,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Waiting now...

Some of the kids might give impact statements....they have a comfort dog there in court with them right now but are not shown on tv of course.

Mrs T is appearing now on tv in court, smiling! and looking like a PTA mom that she is NOT.

Husband still has the weird bowl haircut.

Attorney on tv HLN thinks they'll get 25 to life but we'll see...
These people should be thrown into an alligator nest. But since we don't do things that way in this country, I guess they can look forward to the rest of their lives in prison.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 AM

7,901 posts, read 3,329,090 times
If the parents actually “Loved” their children they wouldn’t have abused them. This is a scar these children will have with them all of their lives. Some people shouldn’t have children.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:30 AM

12,157 posts, read 17,739,310 times
Quote:
Kids now giving impact statements....

both parents in tears as one speaks...
oddly the kid states he's praying for them and he appreciates them raising him even though it was the wrong way. He states he loves them very much...

First time I've seen parents emotional. The mom is sobbing as one kid tries to explain why they were chained up at times....because mom felt the kids were getting too much sugar. All the kids are positive about the parents...one states 25 years is too long a sentence....wants to be allowed to see and talk with parents while incarcerated.

Very interesting how they are standing up so strong for the couple.

brainwashed

Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 AM

3,592 posts, read 1,620,270 times
Quote:
Husband still has the weird bowl haircut.
I would've tacked on an extra 5 years just for that.
Being follically challenged, it makes me want to pimp-slap the hell out of the creep.
It is a crime against hairmanity.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM

9,039 posts, read 7,056,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I would've tacked on an extra 5 years just for that.
Being follically challenged, it makes me want to pimp-slap the hell out of the creep.
It is a crime against hairmanity.

That would have been hilarious. With the long list of charges the judge had to read through, I wonder if anyone would even have even noticed.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:45 AM

20,979 posts, read 13,794,958 times
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/04/19/u...dog/index.html

This was interesting. The children asked to have the special dog with them during their court appearance. They obviously had some anxiety about their need to appear in court.

I cannot doubt that the children still have feelings about their parents. Their feelings are what they are. Their lives before their rescue probably involved intense emotions of various kinds, including love. How they process their experience is individual. But I think that utter hatred would be more damaging than some loving feelings. Whatever they feel, they feel.

We don’t have to categorize, or even understand. They have the right to feel their feelings.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:13 PM

4,788 posts, read 1,893,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Stochholm Syndrome. Must be.
That was my first though. I couldn't even watch all of the video of the victim's statements. I had to skip through that part. Those kids still have some serious problems from this. They probably will have for the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events