U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:52 PM

34,687 posts, read 10,218,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Did you listen to your own video? A male teacher was in the room, male teachers are frequently prohibited from breaking up female student fights as it opens them up to accusations. He called the office and told the other students not to participate.

Fights in school are neither new nor particularly surprising.

Knock it off.

Of course I listened to it. I don't know what you're used to, but I'm questioning it, because I still find it hard to believe that a teacher would stand by and simply observe that without intervening.

And he sounded like a milquetoast, not an authority figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 03:28 PM

677 posts, read 184,966 times
What is the history between those two kids? All we see is what's in the video.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:33 PM

4,935 posts, read 1,963,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Just a few years back I went to a school in Black Diamond Wa or Enumclaw I can't remember which but they were expanding the school and I needed to work on some equipment. Anyway I had to check in with the school office which I did. I was told given directions to the worksite and walked through the lunchroom. The kids were all around and guess what? There were 2 sheriffs deputies there watching them.

SHERIFFS DEPUTIES!!!

Never saw that in my high school as a kid. Never.

Murika is f**ked up people.
I never saw it either, until I got to high school in the late 1970s. In my sophomore year they hired a cop to watch the lunchroom and halls, to try and stop rampant out of control vandalizm, false fire alarms and even arson. It didn't really stop the problems. It just moved the problems to other parts of the building. Of course there were no security cameras in those days. So kids could get away with pretty much anything.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:53 PM

4,342 posts, read 3,497,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think in many cases the lack of support is a combination of people don't know how to help, kids in school have been trained NOT to get involved, and worst of all, through combination of school policies have learned that they will get punished by the system for helping AND the bully for as well.

I too went to a school where fighting back/defending yourself received more punishment than the bully who instigated things. I've been hit with a book like that, then punished for fighting when I was the victim.
I remember it was very much like this. We were told not to get involved (for one, if a few students get involved then a few more, then a few more... it can turn into a very large fight). I also remember hearing that in order for it to be considered self defense, you had to be struck 3 times before you could react. I really don't know how much of that was rumor and how much was truth, but it certainly had us all thinking that you really couldn't defend yourself or defend someone else. Fortunately my school never really had any issues with fighting. The worst thing I heard of was someone got shoved into a vending machine and it broke the plastic front.

I remember being a substitute teacher and always being slightly worried that a fight was going to break out. If it was between two boys, at least in HS, there was a pretty big chance that I'd be outmatched, especially with upperclassmen. If it was between two girls, well, as a 22-23 year old male just shy of 6 feet, I would have to be very delicate in how I handled it. I wouldn't be able to do anything that could possibly be construed as aggressive. I mean really what could you do? Surely striking one of the students would get you in trouble (and I'm not talking a verbal reprimand). Likewise probably couldn't tackle a student. I'd maybe be able to grab one of the students and pull them away without being accused of attacking a student. But then I open up myself to being attacked by the aggressor or by the other. Who's to say the original victim doesn't try to now attack the aggressor and the teacher just happens to be in the wrong spot?

Old 04-20-2019, 04:01 PM

4,935 posts, read 1,963,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I remember it was very much like this. We were told not to get involved (for one, if a few students get involved then a few more, then a few more... it can turn into a very large fight). I also remember hearing that in order for it to be considered self defense, you had to be struck 3 times before you could react. I really don't know how much of that was rumor and how much was truth, but it certainly had us all thinking that you really couldn't defend yourself or defend someone else. Fortunately my school never really had any issues with fighting. The worst thing I heard of was someone got shoved into a vending machine and it broke the plastic front.

I remember being a substitute teacher and always being slightly worried that a fight was going to break out. If it was between two boys, at least in HS, there was a pretty big chance that I'd be outmatched, especially with upperclassmen. If it was between two girls, well, as a 22-23 year old male just shy of 6 feet, I would have to be very delicate in how I handled it. I wouldn't be able to do anything that could possibly be construed as aggressive. I mean really what could you do? Surely striking one of the students would get you in trouble (and I'm not talking a verbal reprimand). Likewise probably couldn't tackle a student. I'd maybe be able to grab one of the students and pull them away without being accused of attacking a student. But then I open up myself to being attacked by the aggressor or by the other. Who's to say the original victim doesn't try to now attack the aggressor and the teacher just happens to be in the wrong spot?
There was no self defence when I went to school. Both the bully and the victim got detention.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,074,707 times
That video is just sickening. No matter what the policy, those other kids should have done SOMETHING to help that poor girl.

I hope she is identified and that they throw her ass in jail for assault.

She needs to have a few jail guards take care of her off camera, so she's on the receiving end of assault. I know a woman who is a jail guard and they definitely do this to inmates who deserve a little tuning up.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:42 PM

8,898 posts, read 2,869,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you read the comments, one pointed out that it was a premeditated assault as the conspirator already had the camera rolling.

Maybe had another distract the teacher out of the room.

So, conspiracy charge against all involved and so forth.

So if this is the case and it was a planned assault for show-business purposes, this perpetrator will be hung on her own petard, with the video becoming evidence against her. What kind of brain-damage would prevent a person from anticipating the consequences of such action?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 PM

19,997 posts, read 16,301,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So if this is the case and it was a planned assault for show-business purposes, this perpetrator will be hung on her own petard, with the video becoming evidence against her. What kind of brain-damage would prevent a person from anticipating the consequences of such action?
It may not have been for show biz per se, they just planned to beat the girl up for reasons we don’t know and we’re probsbly going to post it to their friends later. Kids film everything now. But there were planned beatings when I was in school too, they just weren’t filmed.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 AM

14,226 posts, read 15,027,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Sure glad that I went to school in the 50s and early 60s when the worst thing was fistfights by guys.

Girls? No, never happened.
Same with me; 50s/60s but in post-war suburbia.

In almost all cases a few punches thrown, fight over. No weapons or stomping.

WTH has happened to where girl on girl physical violence seems to have gone mainstream?

YouTube's loaded with such videos.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 AM

14,226 posts, read 15,027,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There was no self defence when I went to school. Both the bully and the victim got detention.
My father told me if I was being attacked to defend myself and let him deal with the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or