U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM

19,637 posts, read 10,922,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Maybe she didn't hit like a trained fighter, but her aggressiveness suggests to me she's had some experience. She knew you can't just whack her once and stand there to see if that worked. The whack with the book was done to disorient her so she could finish the job without a lot of resistance.
Exactly.

Someone who was normally non-aggressive would not have continued the attack with that level of non-stop vigor.

That's what people who have been in a lot of fights know to do: Attack without warning and continue the attack without pause until the other person stops moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,794,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Exactly.

Someone who was normally non-aggressive would not have continued the attack with that level of non-stop vigor.

That's what people who have been in a lot of fights know to do: Attack without warning and continue the attack without pause until the other person stops moving.

Yes, the video shows who would be the better fighter if one of them didn't fight back.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:33 PM

9,095 posts, read 7,118,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It was thirty some years ago Lily. We wrote it off. Sounded like a real rat's nest to get involved in.

But my point is that if no one addressed it, it never happened. That's the way schools keep a cleaner record than they have. Same with the police.

I feel so sorry for the other students in the room. They are obviously afraid to intervene for fear of getting in trouble and they seem to be looking for someone in authority to help.

Everyone is afraid these days.
Very true. I was in a store with narrow aisles a while back and a gramma-aged woman was there with a 5 or 7 yo boy. He was bobbing and weaving around as I was trying to pass, and he didn't hear me say excuse me, so I put my hand on his upper back (his back was to me) just so I wouldn't step on him if he happened to jump into me. I didn't even push him out of the way, just firm enough that he couldn't back into me by accident.

He looked at his grandma absolutely horrified and said She touched me! Grandma was visibly uncomfortable. She didn't know what to do! I'm sure when she was growing up her mom would have told her to behave, but now nobody is supposed to touch a child, ever. Apparently they're not even teaching the difference between good touch and bad touch anymore.

Anyway, I learned my lesson. If that happens again, I think I'll just turn around and go down another aisle.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:59 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,730,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Why are you and other posters making an assumption that other students did nothing because they were afraid of being punished? There is not a single piece of evidence that backs up this claim.

I would have ignored the fight for two reasons, I was not being attacked and someone else's fight is none of my business.
You're a weak individual. I've intervened plenty and people have intervened on my behalf before. I grew up in a rough area, though, and fights were somewhat routine. We certainly weren't scared of scrapping and this is one of those times that you step in. Think of it as a UFC fight. If one person is defenseless, you don't keep pounding them. Now, if both fighters are going for it, you stay out of it.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:59 PM

9,677 posts, read 3,813,693 times
Quote:
Why are you and other posters making an assumption that other students did nothing because they were afraid of being punished? There is not a single piece of evidence that backs up this claim.

I would have ignored the fight for two reasons, I was not being attacked and someone else's fight is none of my business.
How sad.

This wasn't a fight, this was a one-sided assault.

And I hope for your sake, if you are ever assaulted, others don't feel the way you do and just look the other way.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 PM

33,795 posts, read 41,630,826 times
Quote:

I think because policy (I want to it's almost universal) is the third guy in the fight, who's actually trying to stop it, has turned it into a group fight and can be expelled.

That changed several years ago during the Obama Administration when new "guidance" came out from the Departments of Education and Justice.

In many school systems teachers are only required, by statute, to tell the combatants to stop.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:16 PM

3,733 posts, read 1,922,114 times
My God! This isn't the jungle. It's a place of learning.

Jail the girl. Get her outta there and put her behind bars.

Terminate the film maker. Maybe she/he needs some jail time too.

Fire the teacher.

Speak separately to all those students who watched and did nothing to help. Find out why. There's a reason for that cowardly behavior, and that reason may fall upon the school administration for teaching it to them. If so, discipline the whole lot of them as well.

I can't even believe what I watched. It's beyond sickening. As Barney Fife used to say, "We need to nip it in the bud!"

Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM

9,677 posts, read 3,813,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
My God! This isn't the jungle. It's a place of learning.

Jail the girl. Get her outta there and put her behind bars.

Terminate the film maker. Maybe she/he needs some jail time too.

Fire the teacher.

Speak separately to all those students who watched and did nothing to help. Find out why. There's a reason for that cowardly behavior, and that reason may fall upon the school administration for teaching it to them. If so, discipline the whole lot of them as well.

I can't even believe what I watched. It's beyond sickening. As Barney Fife used to say, "We need to nip it in the bud!"
Everyone knows why they didn't react.

Because they'd be severely punished.

I'm hoping this is being dealt with in criminal court; and if it is, that video will be invaluable evidence.

As it is, it serves as an enormous wake-up call to that school district, to have right there on film what they've created. And it's shocking to watch - not just the assailant, but the kids who look very uncomfortable but have been well-trained to not help her.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:49 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:

I am not assuming anything. I don't give a damn what their reasons were for not assisting that girl. If someone ever attacks you, heaven forbid, I hope some decent bystander will come to your defense and not have the indifferent attitude that you seem to have.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:31 PM

19,997 posts, read 16,294,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
You're a weak individual. I've intervened plenty and people have intervened on my behalf before. I grew up in a rough area, though, and fights were somewhat routine. We certainly weren't scared of scrapping and this is one of those times that you step in. Think of it as a UFC fight. If one person is defenseless, you don't keep pounding them. Now, if both fighters are going for it, you stay out of it.
Most high school students are not MMA fighters. Like I said, I was not a fighter and I wasn’t big. I would not have intervened because I would’ve been afraid of that girl. I would not have been afraid of being punished I would’ve been afraid of the girl herself. That makes me a weak individual, so be it. I don’t know why everybody is making this assumption that the kids are afraid of getting suspended vs simply afraid of getting hurt and/or simply unsure what to do.

Again, in study after study it shows that human nature is that it’s less likely someone is going to save you if there’s a large group watching something bad happen to you. Everyone waits for someone else to start first. You’re much more likely to get help if there’s only one or two people who witnessed it. This applies to adults too, and for things like drowning as well as crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or