U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 1,963,648 times

Advertisements

OK, I finally got the video to play. If this was real, which I doubt it is. It looks totally staged to me. But if it is real, it was the single quietest fight in history. The perpetrator, made no sound. The victim made no sound, even when she supposedly got hit in the head with a book. Though it looks like the book just grazed her cheek and ended up on her lap. Not one student in the class said anything. They just covered their mouths like they were trying to keep from laughing. The supposed teacher just talked in a quiet monotone voice, and didn't even address the fight, just the cell phone use.

It looks to me like a bunch of students staging a fight for social media, but doing so as quietly as possible, so they don't attract attention or disturb other classes. If anybody thinks this was a violent fight, don't go to YouTube and search for student fight videos, because you are going to see a lot worse than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 AM

6,094 posts, read 3,463,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think because policy (I want to it's almost universal) is the third guy in the fight, who's actually trying to stop it, has turned it into a group fight and can be expelled.

That changed several years ago during the Obama Administration when new "guidance" came out from the Departments of Education and Justice.

In many school systems teachers are only required, by statute, to tell the combatants to stop.
Whether it is a "real" fight or not it still provides good material for discussion regarding the issue of responsibility.

I know that in the state of MN often both individuals will be held responsible regardless of who is obviously the victim. It seems like a poor policy even though I think the original intent was to prevent people getting involved.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 AM

9,672 posts, read 3,813,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Whether it is a "real" fight or not it still provides good material for discussion regarding the issue of responsibility.

I know that in the state of MN often both individuals will be held responsible regardless of who is obviously the victim. It seems like a poor policy even though I think the original intent was to prevent people getting involved.
In our school district, the original intent of punishing all students in an altercation equally is because they didn't feel like figuring out who started it. Who was the bully, and who was the victim. Couldn't be bothered to sort it out.

Imagine adults putting up with that in our judicial system.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,412,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In our school district, the original intent of punishing all students in an altercation equally is because they didn't feel like figuring out who started it. Who was the bully, and who was the victim. Couldn't be bothered to sort it out.

Imagine adults putting up with that in our judicial system.

Every time I hear about something like this I understand more fully why some parents make sacrifices so they can home-school their kids.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 AM

6,094 posts, read 3,463,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Every time I hear about something like this I understand more fully why some parents make sacrifices so they can home-school their kids.
Me too. I remember the first time I went to the high school when my daughter was there and was shocked to see the police presence. For crying out loud! It was apparent they had lost the ability to keep order so they could teach. The place looked like a madhouse between classes.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:33 PM

20,223 posts, read 10,319,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Or the intent could have been to keep others out of the fight so that they aren't hurt. If students get hurt at school the school can be sued. IF 3 or 4 students are trying to break up a fight then there are 5 or 6 people that may be injured vs the original 2 who were fighting.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,730,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Most high school students are not MMA fighters. Like I said, I was not a fighter and I wasnít big. I would not have intervened because I wouldíve been afraid of that girl. I would not have been afraid of being punished I wouldíve been afraid of the girl herself. That makes me a weak individual, so be it. I donít know why everybody is making this assumption that the kids are afraid of getting suspended vs simply afraid of getting hurt and/or simply unsure what to do.

Again, in study after study it shows that human nature is that itís less likely someone is going to save you if thereís a large group watching something bad happen to you. Everyone waits for someone else to start first. Youíre much more likely to get help if thereís only one or two people who witnessed it. This applies to adults too, and for things like drowning as well as crimes.
It's not even about whether or not she scares you; it's about doing what's right. That's really wild that you would admit that. You don't have to beat up the person. In case it ever happens to you, all you have to do is make yourself big and push her off the other person. The other person will recover so they're not getting beaten as a defenseless person. Usually at that point there are words and you can explain yourself and call her out. In my experience, now other people won't be as cowardly and will defend the person too. But if you do have to scrap for a second or two, it sounds like you'd be better for it.

People are unbelievable. Just do the right thing.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 PM

21,245 posts, read 13,996,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Most of the kids look clearly uncomfortable; I agree with the poster who says this comes from a lifetime of going to school in an environment where if you defend someone who is being beaten, you're just as guilty and you'll ALL get punished the same.

NO ONE is cheering this on, and no one "doesn't notice" what's happening.
This. They know if they get involved they will be disciplined. To me the looks on their faces are conflicted.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:35 PM

8,951 posts, read 8,126,473 times
I had a particular nasty girl in high school try and bully me and wanted to fight me (how stupid) and a couple of varsity football players intervened on my behalf and it never surfaced again.

Years later I asked one of her friends why she acted like this and she said that she and her friends hated my clique because we were all spoiled. A moronic assumption.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM

19,989 posts, read 16,294,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I had a particular nasty girl in high school try and bully me and wanted to fight me (how stupid) and a couple of varsity football players intervened on my behalf and it never surfaced again.

Years later I asked one of her friends why she acted like this and she said that she and her friends hated my clique because we were all spoiled. A moronic assumption.
My now BFF and her then BFF were going to beat me up on the last day of 7th grade. They reminded me all year. My plan was to cut last day. Later when her BFF moved away we were seated at the same table in study hall and were inseperable by the end. Thatís the wonder of youth.

When I asked her why they hated me and wanted to beat me up, she said it was because I combed my hair all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or