Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:54 AM

50,421 posts, read 36,095,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I care what it is because a policy that punishes someone for defending another is illegal, immoral, and likely to cost the taxpayers millions of dollars.
I don’t think it has anything to do with the school policy. When I was in high school in the 70s kids didn’t jump in to help other kids who were getting beaten up either. People would go and watch it “hey Jerry’s going to get beaten up by Bob after school today 3 o’clock!” When I was in eighth grade, while the hallway was packed with people between classes, a girl was dragged into the boys bathroom by a group of boys and raped. Teachers went in and save the girl but none of the students did. Not enough time to keep her from being raped however. Some kids were actually holding the bathroom door open and watching.

My point in bringing this up, is that there seems to be an attitude on the forums and in the world today that it’s just today’s kids that are the problem. Older people post as if we were all angels and none of this was an issue when we were coming of age. It’s just not true. Today’s kids are actually more altruistic then we were in many many ways.

But my other point is that it’s not an usual for kids not to intervene in situations like this. I think they do more so today than they did back then if anything. Back then it was Lord of the Flies, where the weak were on their own. Many kids are scared to be the one to jump in and intervene.

If you look at studies that have been done, they have found that people are much less likely to help when there’s a large group of people they tend to wait for someone else to be the one to start helping. You’re much more likely to get help if there’s only one person who sees what’s going on then if there are 10. This applies to adults as well.

I actually happen to agree though that there shouldn’t be other students jumping into physical altercations try to end them. Yelling stop, calling for a teacher OK. But if a kid gets hurt intervening or hurts another kid even if he’s a perpetrator of a crime, that’s when the lawsuits are going to start rolling in. The same as the policies in stores, where they tell employees not to intervene with shoplifters are robbers. Usually these policies came about due to lawsuits.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-20-2019 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 AM

23,837 posts, read 33,385,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
She hit, then continued to assault, another student who was minding her own business, while no one intervened to help this poor kid.

Was a teacher in the room? As usual, someone recorded it, though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewPol...ease-cringe%2F
I don't have sound on my PC. From one of the comments said they hear the teacher say "Put your phone away or you will get suspended too. Go get a VP. Now. Run."

Totally disgusting. That's not a fight, total sucker shots. The person recording knew it was going to happen. They should get suspended too. I wonder if it's the person on twitter that recorded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think it has anything to do with the school policy. When I was in high school in the 70s kids didn’t jump in to help other kids who were getting beaten up either. People would go and watch it “hey Jerry’s going to get beaten up by Bob after school today 3 o’clock!” When I was in eighth grade, while the hallway was packed with people between classes, a girl was dragged into the boys bathroom by a group of boys and raped. Teachers went in and save the girl but none of the students did. Not enough time to keep her from being raped however. Some kids were actually holding the bathroom door open and watching.

My point in bringing this up, is that there seems to be an attitude on the forums and in the world today that it’s just today’s kids that are the problem. Older people post as if we were all angels and none of this was an issue when we were coming of age. It’s just not true. Today’s kids are actually more altruistic then we were in many many ways.

But my other point is that it’s not an usual for kids not to intervene in situations like this. I think they do more so today than they did back then if anything. Back then it was Lord of the Flies, where the weak were on their own. Many kids are scared to be the one to jump in and intervene.

If you look at studies that have been done, they have found that people are much less likely to help when there’s a large group of people they tend to wait for someone else to be the one to start helping. You’re much more likely to get help if there’s only one person who sees what’s going on then if there are 10. This applies to adults as well.

I actually happen to agree though that there shouldn’t be other students jumping into physical altercations try to end them. Yelling stop, calling for a teacher OK. But if a kid gets hurt intervening or hurts another kid even if he’s a perpetrator of a crime, that’s when the lawsuits are going to start rolling in. The same as the policies in stores, where they tell employees not to intervene with shoplifters are robbers. Usually these policies came about due to lawsuits.
What town was that in? How horrible.

We had a few security guards in Roselle (not Roselle Park) when I went from 79 to 83, yet I was jumped on school property by about 7 girls in like 9th grade. I don't recall how it got broken up.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,224,079 times
Sure glad that I went to school in the 50s and early 60s when the worst thing was fistfights by guys.

Girls? No, never happened.

And that was in a big, gritty city.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:24 AM

160 posts, read 124,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Holy shiite, the boys in the video just sat and tried to stay out of the way. One of the girls was looking the other way as though it wasn't even happening. I have a feeling this is a school district that punishes the kid trying to defend themselves or others. So many now require students to call a teacher or another adult rather than intervene.
Why should a boy jump in? Wouldn't that be very bad for a boy to do today?

Think of all the time that's spent today trying to prevent toxic masculinity. That effort would all have gone to waste had a boy jumped into the fight.

A fine example of non toxic masculinity if I ever saw one.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:34 AM

12,687 posts, read 8,919,375 times
I think in many cases the lack of support is a combination of people don't know how to help, kids in school have been trained NOT to get involved, and worst of all, through combination of school policies have learned that they will get punished by the system for helping AND the bully for as well.

I too went to a school where fighting back/defending yourself received more punishment than the bully who instigated things. I've been hit with a book like that, then punished for fighting when I was the victim.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't have sound on my PC. From one of the comments said they hear the teacher say "Put your phone away or you will get suspended too. Go get a VP. Now. Run."

Totally disgusting. That's not a fight, total sucker shots. The person recording knew it was going to happen. They should get suspended too. I wonder if it's the person on twitter that recorded it.

What town was that in? How horrible.

We had a few security guards in Roselle (not Roselle Park) when I went from 79 to 83, yet I was jumped on school property by about 7 girls in like 9th grade. I don't recall how it got broken up.

It was a large school in a rural area in south Jersey. The biggest difference between then and now, was then it was buried and never spoken of. Neither the boys involved or the girl who was victimized ever returned to school.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Male View Post
Why should a boy jump in? Wouldn't that be very bad for a boy to do today?

Think of all the time that's spent today trying to prevent toxic masculinity. That effort would all have gone to waste had a boy jumped into the fight.

A fine example of non toxic masculinity if I ever saw one.

This is reallly not true. Go to the toy department in any large store and come back and tell me messaging has changed all that much. It hasn't. The girls toy aisles are still packed with baby dolls and fashion dolls and kitchen sets, and the boys aisles weapons, fighting toys and muscular and aggressive action figures, and video games, construction toys and trucks.

Guys were less masculine in the 70's and early 80's when I was growing up, skinny and long hair or big puffy hair, and a lot of androgenous rock stars.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,678,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
She hit, then continued to assault, another student who was minding her own business, while no one intervened to help this poor kid.

Was a teacher in the room? As usual, someone recorded it, though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewPol...ease-cringe%2F
Did you listen to your own video? A male teacher was in the room, male teachers are frequently prohibited from breaking up female student fights as it opens them up to accusations. He called the office and told the other students not to participate.

Fights in school are neither new nor particularly surprising.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,388,786 times
Just a few years back I went to a school in Black Diamond Wa or Enumclaw I can't remember which but they were expanding the school and I needed to work on some equipment. Anyway I had to check in with the school office which I did. I was told given directions to the worksite and walked through the lunchroom. The kids were all around and guess what? There were 2 sheriffs deputies there watching them.

SHERIFFS DEPUTIES!!!

Never saw that in my high school as a kid. Never.

Murika is f**ked up people.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 PM

9,354 posts, read 6,922,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Throw the book at her. Minimum 2 years in PRISON.

Next!
I say 5 years and permanent felon for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events