U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 AM

5,530 posts, read 4,655,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
God... damn... those MILLLEEEEENNNNIIIAAAALLLSSS!!!!

Oil drilling, fracking, leveling jungles for palm oil plantations and cattle grazing, overfishing, polluting the ocean, dumping PCBs into the world's river systems, all so that we can consume plastic junk from Walmart, eat junk food, drive inefficient vehicles, live our lives ensconsed in a billion chemical compounds.

But it is the millennial's avocado toast that is "causing world wide environmental problems".

Seriously. You should record yourself and play it back. You should have a laugh along with the rest of us.
+1......Really, can we find anything else to blame on the Millenials? The absurdity of this is just incredible. People have been eating guacamole forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 AM

5,530 posts, read 4,655,336 times
Yeah, still laughing about Mexican food becoming a thing in the 80's and 90's. Pretty much as long as there have been Mexicans, there has been Mexican food, especially in California, the Southwest, and Texas. By the 60's it had already been turned into cheap fast food. Taco Hell has been around since I can remember. I loved tacos as my favorite food when I wasn't even in kindergarten yet, I'm 60. And my first real teenage job in 1975 was slinging guacamole at a place called Carlos'. I was salad maker and cashier. We went through more than 5 gallons of guac a day easily. Trust me, avocados have always been in high demand. It's funny but I remember our next door neighbors in So Cal in 1964 had a huge avocado tree in their backyard. It towered high above all the ranch homes on our street, and I loved to climb high in it's branches. To my knowledge they really didn't water it, it was probably 30-40 years old.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 AM

4,430 posts, read 3,666,346 times
So sorry...but I am going to continue to eat them (everyday) as well and I am a baby boomer who raised my Millenials and non Millenials to eat them since the time they were babies. Yes, guilty as charged.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:40 AM

3,333 posts, read 1,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

HOWEVER, as part of NAFTA, I think it was - around the mid-nineties anyway, a trade agreement was signed with Mexico which made it ILLEGAL for avocados from Hawaii to be shipped to the mainland. So, we have all these lovely sustainably grown avocados here and we CAN NOT ship them to you. BY LAW!
The Sharwil variety is legal for shipping from Hawaii to the mainland, after an inspection. Currently there are some of these from Hawaii selling for $5/lb in Seattle markets.

ALL varieties of avocados grown in Hawaii are legal for shipping to Alaska only, but no one is doing it AFAIK.

One of my kids' favorite books as a tot was "The Avocado Baby" (available on Amazon. )

Story of a picky eater who discovers a love for avos and becomes super powerful from eating them.

David Fairchild brought avocados to the US from Chile in 1899.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:47 AM

11,577 posts, read 21,103,787 times
Look up how much water is used to "grow" one pound of beef, or a pound of almonds, etc.

It's funny, we have been conditioned to conserve water by showering less (even though the water is reclaimed and not consumed!) yet ignore huge implications on our society such as meat consumption.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:06 AM

2,230 posts, read 991,620 times
us damn millenials

Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM

12,271 posts, read 10,226,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What?? I eat them raw, with nothing to accompany them. An avocado, boiled eggs and a banana are staple breakfasts for me. How do they have "no taste???"

To me, they taste somewhat like a giant mushy peanut.
I think they have a very mild taste. I wouldn't say no taste at all, they do have a distinct flavor.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:12 AM

2,494 posts, read 2,105,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What?? I eat them raw, with nothing to accompany them. An avocado, boiled eggs and a banana are staple breakfasts for me. How do they have "no taste???"

To me, they taste somewhat like a giant mushy peanut.
Yep. Avocados and bananas are awesome, especially if you’ve got any kind of acid reflux problem. Being vegan I need avocados for their healthy-fat content. There are many studies covering the environmental damage caused by raising food animals, but that is somehow not “catchy” enough for media headlines.

In any case, I like plain avocados. But some less enthusiastic friends add pepper or a sprinkle of lemon juice.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 AM

9,040 posts, read 6,212,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Yep. Avocados and bananas are awesome, especially if you’ve got any kind of acid reflux problem. Being vegan I need avocados for their healthy-fat content. There are many studies covering the environmental damage caused by raising food animals, but that is somehow not “catchy” enough for media headlines.

In any case, I like plain avocados. But some less enthusiastic friends add pepper or a sprinkle of lemon juice.
I'm not even sure what all of the nutritional benefits of them are. All I know is that they fill me up in the morning without making me feel bloated, they give me energy, they are delicious, and the fats in them do wonders for my skin. There is a noticeable difference when they are a regular part of my diet versus when not. I think they are incredible. And for the record, I do not care for guacamole, or other avocado spreads. I really just prefer them raw and plain, or maybe with a touch of black pepper. They work great in simple sushi rolls too.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM

54,532 posts, read 53,377,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Yeah, still laughing about Mexican food becoming a thing in the 80's and 90's. Pretty much as long as there have been Mexicans, there has been Mexican food, especially in California, the Southwest, and Texas. By the 60's it had already been turned into cheap fast food. Taco Hell has been around since I can remember. I loved tacos as my favorite food when I wasn't even in kindergarten yet, I'm 60. And my first real teenage job in 1975 was slinging guacamole at a place called Carlos'. I was salad maker and cashier. We went through more than 5 gallons of guac a day easily. Trust me, avocados have always been in high demand. It's funny but I remember our next door neighbors in So Cal in 1964 had a huge avocado tree in their backyard. It towered high above all the ranch homes on our street, and I loved to climb high in it's branches. To my knowledge they really didn't water it, it was probably 30-40 years old.
In 1978 I visited a friend who had moved to Colorado. She was going on and on about this place they had out there called Taco Bell. I remember thinking, what IS a taco, anyway?

A few years later, a Taco Bell made its way to our area, and then more, but I still have never been to one. I did find out what they were, though and like the ones you make at home with the kit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or