U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:24 PM

766 posts, read 422,137 times

Advertisements

I love this fruit soooooo much, I drink it more than I eat it, its juice just awesome!
I'm surprised of people who don't like it!

Try this method:
1 or 2 avocado + 1 or half cup of milk+ a little of water (unless you like it very heavy) pieces of ice+ a little of sugar or honey or sweeter whatever = amazing &fresh

I spent about 2 months until now,since I put avocado seed in a glass of water, it started to open and show the root; it's really interesting but, growing is tooooooo slowly

BTW, don't link any problem to a certain generation, your generation is not perfect; every generation has its own advantages & disadvantages. Maybe avocado's generation is the best since it's linked to be the generation of civilization & evolution with creativity

Anyway, try my method above and tell me your opinion.

Good luck for all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,111,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I'm not even sure what all of the nutritional benefits of them are. All I know is that they fill me up in the morning without making me feel bloated, they give me energy, they are delicious, and the fats in them do wonders for my skin. There is a noticeable difference when they are a regular part of my diet versus when not. I think they are incredible. And for the record, I do not care for guacamole, or other avocado spreads. I really just prefer them raw and plain, or maybe with a touch of black pepper. They work great in simple sushi rolls too.
I thought the benefits to the skin were just my imagination. Now youíre reporting it, and Iíve read about it elsewhere. Seems to make a big difference to me.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 11,747,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
OP, if you want to blame someone consider the man who brought this fruit to US-David Fairchild.

I for one am extremely grateful for his work.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Explorer...81879813&psc=1
My wife and I live just down the road a bit, and are annual members of, the fabulous Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden.

https://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
People seriously need to quit blaming things like avocado's and almonds. Before it was avocado's, they were harping about all the water used for almond tree's. The biggest waster of water is factory farming. So I will continue to eat my avocado's, almonds and all the fruits, nuts and veggies in the Universe and laugh at these stupid stories.
Eat all you want, just please stop using apostrophes when talking about your avocados (and almond trees)!

j/k

Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 PM

6,197 posts, read 3,870,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I was fortunate to grow my own avocados in SoCal. They ripened on the tree and were delicious eaten only with the juice of a Mexican lime (also home grown), salt & pepper.

Any fruit that is commercially grown and artificially ripened, from apples to tomatoes, won’t taste as good.
They didn't. Avocados never ripen on the tree to an edible state, they will just rot. They are always picked hard and need time off the tree to soften and ripe. People who don't believe me, please google this.

You are quite right about many other fruits like tomatoes being picked unripe and never being as tasty as if they were tree- or vine-ripened, but not avocados. By the way, I grew up in (and still live in) SoCal and we had an avocado tree too.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 AM

1,526 posts, read 702,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I was fortunate to grow my own avocados in SoCal. They ripened on the tree and were delicious eaten only with the juice of a Mexican lime (also home grown), salt & pepper.

Any fruit that is commercially grown and artificially ripened, from apples to tomatoes, wonít taste as good.
Avocados don't ripen until they are off the tree, which is why they are available for so much of the year.

The ban on shipping avocados from Hawaii had nothing to do with NAFTA, and everything to do with worries about fruit fly infestation.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:16 AM

9,095 posts, read 6,244,069 times
Yeah I was just going to say that: Avocados don't ripen on trees. Beat me to it.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 AM

5,540 posts, read 4,666,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In 1978 I visited a friend who had moved to Colorado. She was going on and on about this place they had out there called Taco Bell. I remember thinking, what IS a taco, anyway?

A few years later, a Taco Bell made its way to our area, and then more, but I still have never been to one. I did find out what they were, though and like the ones you make at home with the kit.
Taco Hell, as we call it, is to Mexican food, as McDonald's is to fine dining. Tacos shouldn't come in a "kit", please go to a real Mexican restaurant one day. :^)

Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 AM

9,095 posts, read 6,244,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
taco hell, as we call it, is to mexican food, as mcdonald's is to fine dining. Tacos shouldn't come in a "kit", please go to a real mexican restaurant one day. :^)
in -- deed.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM

76,799 posts, read 68,791,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
People seriously need to quit blaming things like avocado's and almonds. Before it was avocado's, they were harping about all the water used for almond tree's. The biggest waster of water is factory farming. So I will continue to eat my avocado's, almonds and all the fruits, nuts and veggies in the Universe and laugh at these stupid stories.
It's the cash-crop mentality; when something becomes popular, or there's a demand in some part of the world, farmers rush to invest in that crop, resulting in over-investment, and the problems that develop in association with that phenom.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM
miu

17,027 posts, read 34,327,688 times
I don't like that Mexican farmers are illegally cutting down forests in order to expand their avocado farms... the same forests that the Monarch butterflies gather in when they migrate south for the winter. I hope that they can adapt to hanging out on avocado trees instead. But a natural forest is not the same environment as rows of shorter avocado trees planted in rows. A forest is taller and denser, probably giving the butterflies a safer place to rest in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or