U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM

1,487 posts, read 336,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Being vegan I need avocados for their healthy-fat content.
How's your hearing?

The reason I ask is because I've been told Vegans cannot hear a tomato scream when they cut into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 03:26 PM

1,536 posts, read 715,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't like that Mexican farmers are illegally cutting down forests in order to expand their avocado farms... the same forests that the Monarch butterflies gather in when they migrate south for the winter. I hope that they can adapt to hanging out on avocado trees instead. But a natural forest is not the same environment as rows of shorter avocado trees planted in rows. A forest is taller and denser, probably giving the butterflies a safer place to rest in.
Since the Mexican avocado farms are apparently run by the cartels these days, I doubt they care at all about the butterflies. Butterflies are far less important to them than making money.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM

18,481 posts, read 22,928,141 times
Nothing compared to FACTORY FARMED CATTLE.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:32 PM

77,142 posts, read 69,067,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't like that Mexican farmers are illegally cutting down forests in order to expand their avocado farms... the same forests that the Monarch butterflies gather in when they migrate south for the winter. I hope that they can adapt to hanging out on avocado trees instead. But a natural forest is not the same environment as rows of shorter avocado trees planted in rows. A forest is taller and denser, probably giving the butterflies a safer place to rest in.
How are they allowed to just go around cutting down forest, if they don't own the land? What's going on, there? I would think that the butterfly forests are part of a protected reserve, or something. I would also hope, that some of those farmers would realize, that if everyone goes whole hog into avocado growing, it will cause the price to crash, and everyone will lose, ultimately.

Not very smart at all.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 PM

1,506 posts, read 745,393 times
^^According to a Mexican acquaintance, there is lots of corruption and bribing of officials in Mexico. The cartels have lots of cash to pay off officials who can benefit them by turning a blind eye, and everyone who is dispensible knows they'd better be quiet, or else. Ugly situation.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 PM

77,142 posts, read 69,067,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattx View Post
^^according to a mexican acquaintance, there is lots of corruption and bribing of officials in mexico. The cartels have lots of cash to pay off officials who can benefit them by turning a blind eye, and everyone who is dispensible knows they'd better be quiet, or else. Ugly situation.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 PM

54,873 posts, read 53,624,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Taco Hell, as we call it, is to Mexican food, as McDonald's is to fine dining. Tacos shouldn't come in a "kit", please go to a real Mexican restaurant one day. :^)
Hahaha, I have, but I didn't get tacos there.

I was never a fan of so-called Mexican food. To me, it's was all the same gloppy mixture of meat, cheese, beans, and rice, just wrapped up in a different shape and called a different name. Burritos, tacos enchiladas, chimichangas--they all taste the same.

We have a Mexican place not far from me that gets "Best Mexican" in our county in NJ Monthly magazine. I was amused. I liked the place but thought I wasn't really having Mexican food because they had things like camarones diablo, which didn't seem "Mexican" to me at all as I knew Mexican food to be.

Turned out that type of food was a little more authentic than the glop I don't like. So there.

I still don't like all authentic Mexican food, though. There's a place in the city that's supposed to be a great authentic Mexican restaurant, and I got chicken with mole sauce. I didn't take to it the way some other people raved about it.

Give me Middle Eastern or Greek anytime.

Back to avocados. Because of this thread I took a peek at the source of the ones in my supermarket the other day. California. No wonder they have no flavor. They are bred to survive being shipped across the continent and still look OK when they finally make it to the produce department of my supermarket chain.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 PM

12,538 posts, read 8,496,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I thought the benefits to the skin were just my imagination. Now youíre reporting it, and Iíve read about it elsewhere. Seems to make a big difference to me.
You don't need to eat avocados to have beautiful skin. Asian women from the far east do not eat avocados and they have great skin because they don't tan like Americans do. Sun does terrible damage to the skin. 5-7mins is all the sun you need. Drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of citrus fruits and berries for the antioxidants.

Eating avocados is not gonna save you from skin cancer if you tan too much.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 PM

9,200 posts, read 6,304,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't need to eat avocados to have beautiful skin. Asian women from the far east do not eat avocados and they have great skin because they don't tan like Americans do. Sun does terrible damage to the skin. 5-7mins is all the sun you need. Drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of citrus fruits and berries for the antioxidants.

Eating avocados is not gonna save you from skin cancer if you tan too much.
No one is saying that... All that was said is that they are good for the skin -- not that you NEED them to have good skin.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 AM

3,680 posts, read 1,545,606 times
Which is worse for the environment, an avocado or a hamburger?

I grew up in California, so I learned early on that there are two kinds of avocados; richly flavored, buttery Haas and watery, disappointing Fuerte.

Then I moved to Hawaii and discovered there are dozens of named, farmed varieties that put even a Haas to shame. Plus, since an avocado tree grown from a pit is different from either of its parents (you have to graft the named varieties to get consistent taste), nearly every backyard tree has its own unique flavor.

How to grow avocados in windward Hawaii:
Eat an avocado. If it tastes good, toss the pit in an open spot in the yard. In 6-8 years, taste the fruit. If it's yummy, put a box of them out on the curb for your neighbors. If you don't like it, cut the tree down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or